OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 23, 2014, 03:32:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Survey results: Russia 'most pious nation in Europe'  (Read 449 times) Average Rating: 0
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« on: May 05, 2011, 10:56:55 PM »

A recent survey provided some interesting results on religious life in Russia. The project was administered by the Public Opinion Foundation and the organization Sreda.

From the article:
A record 82 percent of respondents acknowledged that they believe in God, according to a poll conducted by the Public Opinion Foundation and an obscure religious research group called Sreda.

But only 50 percent said they belonged to the Russian Orthodox Church, said the poll, which was released this week by Interfax. The church usually puts the figure around 70 percent.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Asteriktos
Protostrator

Faith: Like an arrow to the knee

Russians. Even when holding a cat they're dour.

« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 11:05:48 PM »

What a mixed bag... Those numbers regarding belief in God (whichever one is accurate) is better than I thought it'd be, but some of the other stuff (e.g. the 4% bit in last paragraph)... not so much...  Huh
bogdan
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 11:38:07 PM »

Considering the country was officially atheist until 20 years ago, I say praise God even if it's "only" 50 percent. And even if only 4% observe the faith daily, that's some 5.7 million people—about 7 times the total number of Orthodox in the US, pious or otherwise. 5.7 million pious Orthodox will have an impact in the long term.

Personally I think the 50-70% discrepancy is between those who are baptized Orthodox and those who self-identify as Orthodox. I could see having a 20% difference there.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 11:40:59 PM by bogdan » Logged
Tags: Russia  survey  Russian Orthodox Church 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: