OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 28, 2014, 01:32:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Many Years to His Grace, Bishop Matthias  (Read 2507 times) Average Rating: 0
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« on: April 30, 2011, 06:30:30 PM »

Axios!

http://www.oca.org/hsbiomatthias.html

Bishop Matthias was born David Lawrence Moriak on April 4, 1949, in Cleveland, OH, the son of Lawrence and the late Gladys Mae Moriak. He was baptized at Cleveland’s Saint Theodosius Cathedral, where he and his family were members there. His John Moriak, immigrated to Cleveland in 1913 from the village of Horowa in Galicia, Austria. His father was raised as an Orthodox Christian, while his mother converted to Orthodox Christianity prior to marriage.

Read rest of bio here: http://www.oca.org/hsbiomatthias.html

Please follow the posting rules and guidelines laid out here:  http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,30655.0.html

This is your official warning on this subject.  Please take special care in the future in regards to posting.
- Serb1389. General Fora Moderator

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My priest and some parishoners are at His Grace's Consecration today.  Many Years!
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 07:54:48 PM by serb1389 » Logged

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
That person
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

Long live Commie Superman

« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2011, 08:39:14 PM »

Axios!

"Some have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at pleasure, so as to produce the effect of singing."- St. Augustine of Hippo

Movie reviews you can trust.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

that is not the teaching of...

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2011, 08:53:10 PM »

Axios!

"I haven't done anything wrong, and I won't be hounded by you and your soulless minions of orthodoxy! I haven't broken any laws... except perhaps the laws of nature." - Dr. Elias Giger
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

fleem
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2011, 08:54:28 PM »

Axios!   angel

Charlie Rose: "If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?"

Fran Lebowitz: "Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisified."

spcasuncoast.org
ilyazhito
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2011, 09:00:23 PM »

Axios! Axios! Axios! Mnogaya Leta!
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2011, 09:38:46 PM »

Worthy indeed.

OCA's gain is ACROD's loss.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
podkarpatska
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2011, 09:58:39 PM »

Worthy indeed.

I do wish the new Bishop well as he is a fine man and a wonderful priest. That being said, I was saddened today to read anew on another website about continued turmoil within his new home. I hope that he can help bring some peace and stability to what has apparently continued to be a difficult situation.

Axios!
Altar Server
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian(as of 12/18/10)

Holy Father Seraphim, Pray to God for us!

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2011, 11:22:02 PM »

May God grant His Grace Many Many Years!

Does anyone know if there are any pictures of the consecration yet?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 11:28:39 PM by Altar Server » Logged

All my hope I place in you, O Mother of God, keep me under your protection!
TheodoraElizabeth3
Elder

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2011, 11:58:04 PM »

May God grant His Grace Many Many Years!

Does anyone know if there are any pictures of the consecration yet?

Yes, from unofficial sources! There are the 300+ pictures total I took at the Vespers last night and at the consecration itself today! I was in the left choir - there were two choirs singing antiphonally which was wonderful - and just at the right place on the end to get a ton of pics.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 12:03:36 AM by TheodoraElizabeth3 » Logged
KBN1
High Elder

Faith: EO

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2011, 12:15:43 AM »

Worthy indeed.

I do wish the new Bishop well as he is a fine man and a wonderful priest. That being said, I was saddened today to read anew on another website about continued turmoil within his new home. I hope that he can help bring some peace and stability to what has apparently continued to be a difficult situation.

Axios!

Bishop Matthias' thoughtfulness and level headed-ness will be an incredible asset to our diocese and the OCA as a whole. 
TheodoraElizabeth3
Elder

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2011, 01:38:18 AM »

The vestments Bishop Matthias wore today belonged to Archbishop Job of blessed memory and the panagia he wore belonged to Metropolitan John (ACROD) of blessed memory, who inspired Bishop Matthias to attend seminary. Metropolitan John's family gave the panagia to Bishop Michael (OCA NY & NJ), who wore it when he was consecrated last year, and he loaned it to Bishop Matthias.

Actual consecration of Vladyka Matthias:

Vesting:

First episcopal blessing:

Making some remarks:

Metropolitan Jonah making remarks at end of Liturgy:

Bishop Matthias in his episcopal mantia and standing on eagle rug for the first time:

Serving bishops and clergy (just the ones who served - church was a veritable sea of black!):

Bishop Matthias with some of the attending monastics:

« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 01:50:57 AM by TheodoraElizabeth3 » Logged
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2011, 04:49:41 AM »

Such a glorious day in the life of the OCA's Diocese of the Midwest, the ordination of such a fine bishop. "Axios, He is Worthy, Axios." He follows a tradition of exemplary hierarchs in this diocese.

In the picture of the "serving bishops and clergy," directly below the newly ordained  Bishop Matthias, vested with his rasso and stole, is the Very Reverend Fr. Stephen N. Jula, who was the founding priest of Christ the Saviour American Orthodox Church, which is today in North Royalton, Ohio, the parish indicated in the original post as the "ACROD mission" His Grace attended in his youth.  His Grace was inspired to enter the priesthood by Fr. Stephen, who is Pastor Emeritus of the parish he founded, and who currently attends the GOAA parish in Rocky River, Oh.  Fr. Stephen is approximately 87 years old.  He's a friend of mine and I'm so pleased he was able to participate in this great moment in his life. (In addition to the obvious reason for his joy at the elevation of his former altar boy, there is another reason why this is a great moment for him, as upon his release from the Metropolia in the early 1960's, Archbishop John of Chicago, of blessed memory, had prohibited Metropolia clergy from concelebrating with him, and today, he served in the ordination of the Midwest Diocese hierarch.)

I have to question "TheodoraElizabeth's" Reply No. 10, when she mentions the "panagia" or engolpion His Grace wore at his ordination, as having been "Metropolitan" John's of ACROD.  ACROD was not served by a hierarch by this name.  Is she referring to Metropolitan Orestes of blessed memory, or Bishop John of Nyssa, of blessed memory?
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 04:58:04 AM by Basil 320 » Logged

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
88Devin12
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: AOCA

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2011, 07:10:10 AM »

Axios!

BTW, two of those nuns are from Springfield! (well, about 20 miles away)
I see Fr. Tim Sawchak (the dean of our region in KC) but I don't see our Priest...
brittrossiter

jasonrossiter
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2011, 08:27:54 AM »

AXIOS!!
TheodoraElizabeth3
Elder

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2011, 08:47:54 AM »

I have to question "TheodoraElizabeth's" Reply No. 10, when she mentions the "panagia" or engolpion His Grace wore at his ordination, as having been "Metropolitan" John's of ACROD.  ACROD was not served by a hierarch by this name.  Is she referring to Metropolitan Orestes of blessed memory, or Bishop John of Nyssa, of blessed memory?

Sorry, it's actually Bishop John of ACROD. I went back through my notes from Bp. Matthias' comments yesterday. Currently, the most recent head of ACROD was of "metropolitan" rank, so I used that title out of habit.

Tried to correct my post, but it was too late.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 08:55:33 AM by TheodoraElizabeth3 » Logged
TheodoraElizabeth3
Elder

« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2011, 09:17:20 AM »

I don't know who took this, but it was someone present in the congregation. It's of the proclamation of "Axios!" and Bp. Matthias' vesting by the Synod.
http://youtu.be/A4FHmWMfEjw
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 09:27:27 AM by TheodoraElizabeth3 » Logged
TheodoraElizabeth3
Elder

« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2011, 09:34:46 AM »

Axios!

I see Fr. Tim Sawchak (the dean of our region in KC) but I don't see our Priest...

Very few priests actually vested and served. Space was limited. Really only the deans of the various deaneries, plus a few various other clergy served.
Tikhon29605
High Elder

May I become Thy Tabernacle through Communion.

« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2011, 09:41:29 AM »

What is the name of this beautiful church in Chicago where Bishop Matthias was ordained?  I watched the video and the choir was wonderful.  The iconostasis was just beautiful.
TheodoraElizabeth3
Elder

« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2011, 09:44:20 AM »

What is the name of this beautiful church in Chicago where Bishop Matthias was ordained?  I watched the video and the choir was wonderful.  The iconostasis was just beautiful.

Christ the Savior. It's downtown Chicago, on LaSalle Street. Our diocesan HQ are right next door. The church is right across the street from the Moody Bible Institute!

The church was originally built by a group that had broken away from the Episcopalians. The church building dates to the late 19th/early 20th century.

There were TWO choirs - left and right! Grin
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 09:45:53 AM by TheodoraElizabeth3 » Logged
Altar Server
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian(as of 12/18/10)

Holy Father Seraphim, Pray to God for us!

« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2011, 09:50:38 AM »

Axios!

Who is your priest Devin?...I was glad to se Fr. Tim he's my parish priest Smiley

All my hope I place in you, O Mother of God, keep me under your protection!
Tikhon29605
High Elder

« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2011, 09:56:46 AM »

What is the name of this beautiful church in Chicago where Bishop Matthias was ordained?  I watched the video and the choir was wonderful.  The iconostasis was just beautiful.

Christ the Savior. It's downtown Chicago, on LaSalle Street. Our diocesan HQ are right next door. The church is right across the street from the Moody Bible Institute!

The church was originally built by a group that had broken away from the Episcopalians. The church building dates to the late 19th/early 20th century.

There were TWO choirs - left and right! Grin
[/quote

Oh man!  Alas, back in 1993 I visited Chicago. I didn't convert to Orthodoxy until 1996.  I walked up and down La Salle street and even visited Moody Bible Institute. To have been so close, but not seen it.  I could just kick myself now.  I did visit a number of Roman Catholic and Episcopal Churches at the time, but in 1993 Orthodoxy, sadly, was hardly a blip on my radar screen.  I would love to go back to Chicago and tour the Orthodox churches there.
TheodoraElizabeth3
Elder

« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2011, 10:06:35 AM »

Tikhon, Christ the Saviour wasn't established until 2000.
TheodoraElizabeth3
Elder

« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2011, 10:08:06 AM »

Axios!

Who is your priest Devin?...I was glad to se Fr. Tim he's my parish priest Smiley

Fr. Tim actually handed me his camera to get a few shots while the group photos were being taken, as he apparently saw me snapping away during the entire service.  Grin
TheodoraElizabeth3
Elder

« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2011, 10:28:30 AM »

Note on my pictures:

Please do not post them elsewhere without my express, written permission. If you wish to post a few on a parish website or the link, please PM for permission. I have oodles. I'm happy to share them, depending on the venue. Others locally have already contacted me for permission to post on their parish websites. I'm not a pro, but a pretty decent amateur, having taking many pics to accompany my articles when I was a newspaper reporter in the early 90s (I have a journalism degree). Need to figure out how to use the settings on my little Canon PowerShot better, as you can see in the shots. But they're decent enough from that distance.  Grin
Tikhon29605
High Elder

« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2011, 10:43:36 AM »

Tikhon, Christ the Saviour wasn't established until 2000.

Well, that would certainly explain why I don't remember seeing it!  LOL

Now I feel slightly better about myself.  Wink
88Devin12
Protokentarchos

« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2011, 02:03:10 PM »

Axios!

Fr. Andrew Moore, he's the Parish Priest of several of us on here.

I used to attend Holy Trinity there in KC, but it was way too far and so I attend another KC parish now. (I am in KC half the year, and in Springfield the other half)
88Devin12
Protokentarchos

« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2011, 02:04:36 PM »

I don't know who took this, but it was someone present in the congregation. It's of the proclamation of "Axios!" and Bp. Matthias' vesting by the Synod.

LOL I can hear my Priest singing in the 2nd round of "Axios" at about 10 seconds in...

I can't wait to see everyone when I return! Smiley
admiralnick
Cardinal, Editor for Photogalleries
OC.net guru

« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2011, 03:10:55 PM »

Given the name on the poster, I'd recon that it was one of Fr. Michael Zak's sons.... most likely Aaron.......

-Nick

The ORIGINAL: "NULL"
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2011, 04:17:07 PM »

Given the name on the poster, I'd recon that it was one of Fr. Michael Zak's sons.... most likely Aaron.......

-Nick

As Fr Michael is my parish priest I can find out if it is important (though I'd be surprised that Aaron had time to make the trip).

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2011, 08:30:14 PM »

-Nick

As Fr Michael is my parish priest I can find out if it is important (though I'd be surprised that Aaron had time to make the trip).
Please forgive the minor breach of Internet forum protocol by citing my own post, but it does seem that you are correct. Fr. Michael, Pani Deborah, and son Aaron were at the consecration and Aaron did make a recording. Fr. Michael assumes the video to be that of his son.

Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2011, 08:49:05 PM »

Axios!

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: