Author Topic: Prayer  (Read 964 times)

Offline JimCBrooklyn

• Site Supporter
  • High Elder
  • Если бога нет, то все позволено
Prayer
« on: February 14, 2011, 03:58:03 PM »
Does anyone know of a good online/kindle resource for some sort of organized prayer book?
My wife has a beautiful old prayer book, of which similar copies can be purchased at any church around here, though only in Russian/Slavonic, which I understand well, but I'd just rather start my regimented prayers in English.

Thanks as always, meeting with priest here again tomorrow!
Jim
It is not the task of Christianity to provide easy answers to every question, but to make us progressively aware of a mystery. God is not so much the object of our knowledge as the cause of our wonder.
-Metropolitan Kallistos Ware

Offline Aindriú

• Faster! Funnier!
  • Protokentarchos
    • Blog
Re: Prayer
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2011, 07:23:20 PM »
http://www.holycrossonline.org/daily_bread/

http://www.antiochian.org/orthodox-prayers

Getting started with a daily prayer rule
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,19499.0.html

If you like prayerbooks, the HTM or Jordanville might be something you'd like.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 07:25:11 PM by Azurestone »

I'm going to need this.

Offline quietmorning

• Archon
  • St. Photini please pray for us!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2011, 09:44:28 PM »
I have the Christian Orthodox Prayer Book by Ryan Alex on my Kindle - it has the basics. 

Jim, I've taken a lot of the prayers I found on the sites mentioned by Azuretone and transfered them to a word doc, resized to a 3x5 doc with margins set to .1 on all sides - then saved to a pdf file and uploaded them to my kindle. . .works very well.  You can get a free download of a pdf writer at www.cutepdf.com
In His Mercy,
BethAnna

Offline JimCBrooklyn

• Site Supporter
  • High Elder
  • Если бога нет, то все позволено
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 04:07:51 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions! Those are great.

Additionally, one of the things suggested to me by my priest was not only that I start a daily prayer rule (morning and night), but that I do so with my wife. She is Baptized Orthodox, but as she was raised in the USSR and only more recently became observant, she is not sure of how everything works.

A couple things we want to know:

A) Exactly how an icon is to be venerated in the home
B) How to properly say prayers together, as man and wife. Standing side by side, kneeling? Hand in hand, or not? Spoken, quietly, loudly, or silently prayed?

I really like the image my priest gave me of an Orthodox family as a "маленькая церковь", a little church, and we want to strive for that!

Thanks!
Jim
It is not the task of Christianity to provide easy answers to every question, but to make us progressively aware of a mystery. God is not so much the object of our knowledge as the cause of our wonder.
-Metropolitan Kallistos Ware

Offline Paisius

• Ditry Pope-loving ecumenist
  • OC.net guru
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Depends on the mood
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 05:24:41 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions! Those are great.

Additionally, one of the things suggested to me by my priest was not only that I start a daily prayer rule (morning and night), but that I do so with my wife. She is Baptized Orthodox, but as she was raised in the USSR and only more recently became observant, she is not sure of how everything works.

A couple things we want to know:

A) Exactly how an icon is to be venerated in the home
B) How to properly say prayers together, as man and wife. Standing side by side, kneeling? Hand in hand, or not? Spoken, quietly, loudly, or silently prayed?

I really like the image my priest gave me of an Orthodox family as a "маленькая церковь", a little church, and we want to strive for that!

Thanks!
Jim

You should stand together in the icon corner and you, as the head of the household, should lead the prayers. The prayers are said aloud. As to how to venerate the icons, there are so many variations that there is not a "correct" or "incorrect" way to do it. I would suggest venerating them the same way you do in church. Really what matters is that you are praying together. Don't let yourself get too caught up in the details.  ;)

Offline Sauron

• High Elder
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2011, 08:41:05 AM »
Does anyone know of a good online/kindle resource for some sort of organized prayer book?
My wife has a beautiful old prayer book, of which similar copies can be purchased at any church around here, though only in Russian/Slavonic, which I understand well, but I'd just rather start my regimented prayers in English.

Thanks as always, meeting with priest here again tomorrow!
Jim

Here is a Gutenberg link, which contains a Kindle version of an Orthodox prayer book.

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/34981