OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 22, 2014, 08:21:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Approaching a priest  (Read 582 times) Average Rating: 0
William
Protokentarchos

Faith: None

« on: April 30, 2011, 06:24:38 PM »

How should an inquirer approach a priest after Divine Liturgy? Should I wait until after he is done letting people venerate the cross? Would I expected to kiss his hand or address him in a particular way?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 06:54:18 PM by William » Logged

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2011, 06:32:03 PM »

I can only speak of my experience, but in the parish I usually attend, when venerating the cross after liturgy, people are free to talk to Father for a moment, or ask him if they can speak with him after he has finished with everyone. Then you just sit in a pew and wait for him to get done, and then he can meet with you for whatever reason, or set up a time to meet later if you need to talk at length. I usually just say "Father John" or "Father," and usually don't ask for a blessing or kiss his hand* because I've never seen anyone else at the parish do so. If your priest isn't usually available afterwards (e.g. at coffee hour), I'd say just be bold and, after venerating the cross, ask if you can talk with him for a moment after he's finished.

*Though I do kiss his hand after venerating the cross
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2011, 06:39:28 PM »

I think that as an inquirer, priests are usually not going to fault you if you don't kiss your priest's hand (at least they shouldn't). I just address him directly ("Hi, Fr. so-and-so"). In the first few meetings, we even shook hands.

I asked him how he wanted me to address or approach him, obviously hinting at the traditional greetings. He told me that I could do that but also waved his hand as if it didn't matter too much to him. "I'm not going to force people to kiss my hand and I'm not going to sit there and worry about how they address me, if they do so with respect." (Obviously paraphrasing) I still don't even kiss his hand unless it's after receiving something.

I think the first time, I had my hands behind my back and I said, "Father so-and-so, my name is Liora and I am inquiring about joining the Orthodox church," and he shook my hand.

I'd probably wait for everyone to finish up venerating before talking to him but I have seen people strike up conversations when there was an entire line waiting to receive something.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 06:40:22 PM by IsmiLiora » Logged

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
TheMathematician
Banished and Disgraced
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Serbian

Formerly known as Montalo

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2011, 06:55:42 PM »

How should an inquirer approach a priest after Divine Liturgy? Should I wait until after he is done letting people venerate the cross? Would I expected to kiss his hand or address in a particular way?
a possible alternative is to look online for his email, the set up a meeting that way

SCREW BON JOVI!
bogdan
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2011, 07:13:42 PM »

Do what everybody else does, that is generally the best advice when visiting a parish for the first time. Local traditions may vary.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2011, 09:29:58 PM »

When I met my priest, I went to the church office. Sometimes he's also at the coffee hour after liturgy. Maybe you can meet yours that way also.   Smiley

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Ruthenian Greek Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Pheonix

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2011, 09:50:54 PM »

I've never heard of someone kissing a priest's hand without venerating what he's holding, or recieving a blessing.  I saw a woman do this, and ws suprised.  perhapse this is a Byzantine thing (OCA priest, Antiochian parishoner). 

when I first went to DL with a friend, she took me up when people venerated the cross and introduced me. this seems to be the time to say little 10 second things like "this is my friend Trevor".  I didn't venerate the cross, as I was still in a daze about watching the most beautiful worship service I'd ever seen.  I didn't start kissing his hand until I started doing other things like venerating the cross and icons.  I waited quite a while, as I didn't want people to think I was in the club without being invited  Wink .  but if I had done so earlier, no one would really have cared otherwise.

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: