OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 22, 2014, 08:03:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: unity  (Read 1083 times) Average Rating: 0
henrikhankhagnell

Faith: Coptic Orthodox or Roman-Catholic in my heart but I have not convertet yet...

« on: April 30, 2011, 04:52:44 PM »

Why is it so important for orthodoxs to have unity in theology but not in liturgy? If you can accept different liturgies of the churches why not also accept their theology instead of trying to have them beleiving in your theology?  Huh

searching for the church that is both catholic and orthodox...
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

!!
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2011, 05:44:13 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!
Why is it so important for orthodoxs to have unity in theology but not in liturgy? If you can accept different liturgies of the churches why not also accept their theology instead of trying to have them beleiving in your theology?  Huh

The simple answer? Too many folks are thinking with their heads and not feeling with their hearts regarding the matter.  Who feels it knows it.  Unity is the essence of Christianity, division the crux of our weakened human condition.  Humans inherently seek to splinter and subdivide, where as God is unity and continually creates in unison.  When humans sincerely seek God out of their heart, they enter into that true Unity, where as when they think to much with our fractured minds, we can only see more and more reasons to draw lines in the sand. 

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2011, 05:49:43 PM »

henrikhankhagnell,

Do you have particular theological issues in mind?

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
Robert W
Self-appointed forum herald
Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Finland

Love is no feeling

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2011, 06:04:53 PM »

I don't know what you have in mind but I think that kind of reasoning would have had the Church go down by the year 34.

Would the Church be better off by having accepted gnostic, arian, or monophysite theology? The answer is of course "no". The Church can never accept another gospel or another theology than the one delivered to us.

Please explain what you have in mind. It could be that you are thinking of something that is traditionally expressed in a certain way in the east but another expression that teaches the SAME theology exists in the west.
henrikhankhagnell

Faith: Coptic Orthodox or Roman-Catholic in my heart but I have not convertet yet...

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2011, 06:25:53 PM »

I don't know what you have in mind but I think that kind of reasoning would have had the Church go down by the year 34.

Would the Church be better off by having accepted gnostic, arian, or monophysite theology? The answer is of course "no". The Church can never accept another gospel or another theology than the one delivered to us.

Please explain what you have in mind. It could be that you are thinking of something that is traditionally expressed in a certain way in the east but another expression that teaches the SAME theology exists in the west.
I was thinking about Catholic, Oriental orthodox and Eastern orthodox. Why do they want each other to beleive in the same thing, eg, accepting the same theology? They have different theology tradition and is that something bad?

searching for the church that is both catholic and orthodox...
Punch
Taxiarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2011, 06:34:38 PM »

You confuse me.  The three are different Churches with theological differences.  We want the others to believe what we believe so they are no longer in heresy and separated from the Body of Christ.  We don't want to believe what they believe because then we would be heretics.  Granted, I am not so sure that the EO and OO are that far off, and not convinced that they don't believe the same thing anyway.  But I am not a Sobor, so what I think really does not matter.

I was thinking about Catholic, Oriental orthodox and Eastern orthodox. Why do they want each other to beleive in the same thing, eg, accepting the same theology? They have different theology tradition and is that something bad?

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2011, 06:36:52 PM »

Take a look at the US Republic, the French Republic, the German Federal Republic, the Italian Republic, and the modern Greek Republic, and compare them with a People's Republic.  You have to mean the same thing when you are talking about republican governmenet.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

When in doubt, say: "you lack the proper φρόνημα"

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2011, 07:15:55 PM »

Do you believe in the existence of heresy?

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2011, 09:11:32 PM »

"One faith, one Lord, one Baptism"

Jesus established for us a Church with one faith and called for us to keep it that way.

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2011, 09:12:22 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

The simple answer? Too many folks are thinking with their heads and not feeling with their hearts regarding the matter.  Who feels it knows it.  Unity is the essence of Christianity, division the crux of our weakened human condition.  Humans inherently seek to splinter and subdivide, where as God is unity and continually creates in unison.  When humans sincerely seek God out of their heart, they enter into that true Unity, where as when they think to much with our fractured minds, we can only see more and more reasons to draw lines in the sand. 

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Not surprised to hear such borderline heretical ecumenist babble from you.

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2011, 09:14:09 PM »

Why do they want each other to beleive in the same thing, eg, accepting the same theology?

Because theology tells the story of what made/makes salvation possible. Without it salvation cannot be explained and therefore striven for.

They have different theology tradition and is that something bad?

Yes, because only Orthodox theology depicts the reality by which our salvation is made possible.

deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2011, 09:15:09 PM »

You confuse me.  The three are different Churches with theological differences.  We want the others to believe what we believe so they are no longer in heresy and separated from the Body of Christ.  We don't want to believe what they believe because then we would be heretics.  Granted, I am not so sure that the EO and OO are that far off, and not convinced that they don't believe the same thing anyway.  But I am not a Sobor, so what I think really does not matter.

Yes. Aside from disagreement on whether the EO or OO are the Church, this seems very sound-minded to me.

HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2011, 07:42:53 PM »

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Sticks and stones my brother, sticks and stones.

By the way:

"Reject a sectarian man after a first and second warning." Titus 3:10

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2011, 04:28:03 PM »

I don't despise you, Habte. You're a decent fellow. I've just witnessed a number of your theological explanations being essentially heterodox.

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2011, 04:38:10 PM »

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Can you point out the "heretical babble" here. Be specific. Quote something and point out how it is "heretical", a term I don't think you meant to use.

Not that he cannot defend himself, but for my money he consistently writes some of the most well-written, thoughtful, and certainly heartfelt posts here. So if he is a "heretic", I fear I could be one as well, as I find much edification in his posts.

Again, if you decide to defend your comments, please be specific. You could be saving me from heresy.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
katherineofdixie
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2011, 09:53:17 AM »

I'm still confused by the "different liturgies." What do you mean?

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2011, 10:01:03 AM »

I don't despise you, Habte. You're a decent fellow. I've just witnessed a number of your theological explanations being essentially heterodox.

You seem like a well versed young man. How then can you reconcile calling others 'heterodox' or beyond when you list your faith as 'not sure' and your jurisdiction as 'none?' I can understand the need for some to be on a spiritual journey, if you will, in order to determine where one stands in terms of faith and religion, but aren't you sort of like the pot calling the kettle black? Perhaps I misunderstand you, I am not trying to offend, but rather seek clarification. Thank you.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: