OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 26, 2014, 04:00:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vatican sees no future for married clergy in Anglican Ordinariate  (Read 7227 times) Average Rating: 0
Wyatt
Archon

Faith: Catholic

« Reply #90 on: May 03, 2011, 10:57:25 PM »

I don't want to lump them together by any means. I'm just saying that we shouldn't be overly optimistic about the typical Catholic.
The problem with the "typical Catholic" is that the typical Catholic is often a cradle Catholic, and many times (but not always) they tend to be very lukewarm when it comes to the faith. I do know some lifelong Catholics who are rather zealous about their faith (especially the little old ladies that never miss Mass and go to confession every week), but for the most part it seems that the adult converts are the most passionate about Catholicism.

This sounds like typical convert rhetoric which seeks to bash anyone whose a cradle as "lukewarm" and "irreligious".  Lets not forget that, if it wasn't for the "cradles" coming over to this country and working hard to establish the faith then their wouldn't be a Church here for the converts to join in the first place.

God bless the cradles!!!
Then you didn't read my post. I said "many times" and then immediately afterwards in parentheses I said "but not always."
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #91 on: May 07, 2011, 08:57:15 PM »

Wyatt, I don't know about Robb but personally I'd like to hear some further explanation of what you meant by:
 "The problem with the "typical Catholic" is that the typical Catholic is often a cradle Catholic, and many times (but not always) they tend to be very lukewarm when it comes to the faith."

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #92 on: May 07, 2011, 09:02:00 PM »

I don't want married priests in my church. There are plenty of sects where you can play "Eucharist" and be married.

You already have.

Sometimes you hear a comment and there's really nothing to say in reply, other than "Did he/she really say that?"

I recall a comment posted somewhere that "A married priest in a financial burden on a parish."

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
Jharek Carnelian

Faith: Less than perfect Catholic. Married to member of ROC

« Reply #93 on: May 08, 2011, 06:08:02 AM »

Chrystus zmartwychwstał!
What's shocking in this all?
Nothing. Normal Catholics would be confounded and angry if the Church allowed married priests. This is our Holy Tradition.
My mother and grandmother were astounded when they read in Catholic newspapers that the Vatican would allow married priests for the Anglicans. In the eyes of Catholics, even this exception from the law is too far reaching.
Just showing how parochial and heretical the Vatican is, that its followers, confroted by Apostolic practice, would be astounded.

Firstly, marriage before ordination is nothing wrong or immoral. It is simply not the norm in the West. I have older relatives who would have the same reaction due to poor levels of knowledge regarding the Eastern Churches and Church history. A hilarious example of that been my father's objection to paedocommunion on the grounds that 'the baby couldn't understand it.'  My father couldn't counter my wife's point though that this is similar to the objection to infant baptism used by fundamentalists and other.

Secondly the point above about pariochalism for some reason has the word irony gamboling across the meadows of my mind, such as they are.

And then my heart hath told me:
These will pass,
Will pass and change, will die and be no more,
Things bright and green, things young and happy;
And I have gone upon my way
Sorrowful.

'The Wayfarer' Pádraig Anraí Mac Piarais
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: