OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 18, 2014, 12:03:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recieving communion in non-Orthodox Churches  (Read 978 times) Average Rating: 0
casisthename

Faith: Converting to Orthodoxy

« on: April 30, 2011, 11:04:28 AM »

I'm very interested in the Orthodox Church however, my parents are quite bothered by my interest. I am not a catechumen yet. Mostly, because I do not have a car so while I am home I have no way to attend the Orthodox church. And, well I'm in college so for 3/4 of the year I live one place then during breaks I live another place with an hour and a half between them. My family is Lutheran. For those who know about the synods they are Missiouri synod since that may somewhat play into the situation. But, I am concerned about at what point should I stop taking communion at my families church? It's an issue I've been considering for some time. But, I know it will cause great fights in my family if I do not commune yet at the same time...I disagree with Lutheran theology concerning the sacraments.
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2011, 11:13:39 AM »

What does the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod teach regarding your conscience and reception of the Sacraments?

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2011, 11:45:53 AM »

You could ask advice from a Lutheran minister. If you are uncomfortable with talking about this to the pastor at your family's church, perhaps another minister from another Lutheran church of the same synod.

Perhaps Punch might be able to offer better advice.

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2011, 04:42:55 PM »

Well, first consider if doing so would even sit well with your own conscience.

Do you still believe that the LCMS altars have the Body and Blood of Jesus Christ?

Do you believe that you are still one in faith with them? Do you think it's appropriate to Commune with those with whom you are not one in faith?

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
TheMathematician
Banished and Disgraced
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Serbian

Formerly known as Montalo

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2011, 07:01:43 PM »

i asked this same question of my future priest( except i was catholic). If you believe that Holy Orthodoxy is the One Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, then you should not commune outside Her. or inside, until you are in full communion

SCREW BON JOVI!
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2011, 08:27:43 PM »

If you believe that Holy Orthodoxy is the One Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, then you should not commune outside Her.

I agree that it should be this straightforward.

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
katherineofdixie
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2011, 10:24:03 AM »

Do you still believe that the LCMS altars have the Body and Blood of Jesus Christ?

Do you believe that you are still one in faith with them? Do you think it's appropriate to Commune with those with whom you are not one in faith?

After I attended my first Divine Liturgy, I asked myself these same questions, more or less, and the answer was "no" to all. I never went back to the Lutheran church.

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
Punch
Protokentarchos

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2011, 10:38:02 AM »

This is how I view the matter, too.  It was particularly painful for me since my own father is a LCMS pastor.  But you either believe what the Orthodox Church teaches, or you don't.  If you do, then you are living a lie when you commune with the LCMS, and are violating the Church's canons to a point that sets you outside the Church.  Granted, you are not yet in the Church, but it appears that God has already put this burden on your conscience.  You would not murder just because you are not yet Orthodox thinking that it would be OK.  You would not commit fornication thinking that you needed to get one last one in before you became Orthodox.  So, why would you continue to do something else that now, being somewhat enlightened, bothers your conscience.  Those who are not enlightened will be judged according to what they have received.  I am not put on this earth to judge the Lutherans, since in my view, I have found the LCMS and WELS more "orthodox" than many "World Orthodox" Churches I have attended.  However, when I joined the Orthodox Church (actually, when I have made my mind up to join it as a Catechumen) I renounced all my former heresies.  I cannot renounce the heresy of the Lutheran belief of what constitutes the Church, and what is actually communion if I am still communing with that church, regardless of what I may believe in my heart concerning the people of that church.

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
katherineofdixie
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2011, 10:48:14 AM »

This is how I view the matter, too.  It was particularly painful for me since my own father is a LCMS pastor.  But you either believe what the Orthodox Church teaches, or you don't.  If you do, then you are living a lie when you commune with the LCMS, and are violating the Church's canons to a point that sets you outside the Church.  Granted, you are not yet in the Church, but it appears that God has already put this burden on your conscience.  You would not murder just because you are not yet Orthodox thinking that it would be OK.  You would not commit fornication thinking that you needed to get one last one in before you became Orthodox.  So, why would you continue to do something else that now, being somewhat enlightened, bothers your conscience.  Those who are not enlightened will be judged according to what they have received.  I am not put on this earth to judge the Lutherans, since in my view, I have found the LCMS and WELS more "orthodox" than many "World Orthodox" Churches I have attended.  However, when I joined the Orthodox Church (actually, when I have made my mind up to join it as a Catechumen) I renounced all my former heresies.  I cannot renounce the heresy of the Lutheran belief of what constitutes the Church, and what is actually communion if I am still communing with that church, regardless of what I may believe in my heart concerning the people of that church.

Well said. As a matter of fact, I give thanks to God for my parents, pastors, Sunday School teachers, youth leaders, and the many faithful Lutheran friends I had through the years for teaching me about and exemplifying Christian love and the Christian life. Unfortunately, they also taught me to seek the Truth, no matter where it led me, or how awkward, inconvenient and troublesome it was!  Wink

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
celticfan1888
Production Operator - Chemtrusion
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholicism
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2011, 01:03:53 PM »

I'm very interested in the Orthodox Church however, my parents are quite bothered by my interest. I am not a catechumen yet. Mostly, because I do not have a car so while I am home I have no way to attend the Orthodox church. And, well I'm in college so for 3/4 of the year I live one place then during breaks I live another place with an hour and a half between them. My family is Lutheran. For those who know about the synods they are Missiouri synod since that may somewhat play into the situation. But, I am concerned about at what point should I stop taking communion at my families church? It's an issue I've been considering for some time. But, I know it will cause great fights in my family if I do not commune yet at the same time...I disagree with Lutheran theology concerning the sacraments.

If you don't agree with Luthern theology, I wouldnt do it.

Forgive my sins.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: