OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 21, 2014, 10:24:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Conversion and culture  (Read 3328 times) Average Rating: 0
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #45 on: April 29, 2011, 11:15:53 PM »

I have a comment, saying, Who is my family name not all the parish when I was in Greece, the Greek laugh. But it should not be too much problem. How parents and their children are dating outside Greece?

QFT

Please do not use internet abbreviations, not everyone (myself included) are aware of what they mean ---what does "QFT" mean? Thanks Thomas Convert Issues forum moderator
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 12:50:49 PM by Thomas » Logged

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
new_abc

« Reply #46 on: May 01, 2011, 11:28:03 AM »

Thanks for sharing lpalmer.

Please excuse my ignorance, but what does 'FH' mean?
mabsoota
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #47 on: May 01, 2011, 12:52:45 PM »

hi, welcome new-abc and lpalmer  Smiley
i started studying arabic just before i first visited a coptic church, so i found it easy to fit in, as i only needed to remember 3 or 4 arabic words and all the old ladies were suddenly introducing me to their friends!
it helps (i think) to go to a smaller church, if there are more than 100 people there, everyone will tend to assume you know someone there and they might not say 'hello'.
some copts are really shy, affected by years of being scared of outsiders (persecution in egypt and sudan is very bad) or just afraid that their english is bad, so they might not say 'hello'.

in other churches, i have visited, i have seen a mixture of reactions from being ignored to being welcomed like a long-lost cousin.
i think the important thing is to find a church where Christian life is explained in a relevant way, keeping close to the Bible and the church father's interpretations of this. it does have to be in the main language of your country for you to be able to check this out, or at least a good translation should be easily available. once the church has passed this test, see if people are kind (it means they understood the sermon). then if they still ignore you, stick with it, they are probably just shy. try going up to someone of your same gender and say 'hi, you have a nice church here' or something like that.

i hope you find friends, you shouldn't have to change your culture, but you may find a few greek or russian phrases come in handy.
Christos anesti!
 Smiley
Punch
Protokentarchos

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #48 on: May 01, 2011, 05:36:34 PM »

Less than 10 seconds on Google showed it to mean "Quoted For Truth".

I have a comment, saying, Who is my family name not all the parish when I was in Greece, the Greek laugh. But it should not be too much problem. How parents and their children are dating outside Greece?

QFT

Please do not use internet abbreviations, not everyone (myself included) are aware of what they mean ---what does "QFT" mean? Thanks Thomas Convert Issues forum moderator

Orthodox only because of God and His Russians.
Thomas
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #49 on: May 01, 2011, 09:25:19 PM »

My thanks to Punch for his response. Some people, like myself, are not very active on the internet and therefore are not used to the lingo used. I would never have thought to google it.

Thomas
Convert Issues Forum Mmoderator

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
Punch
Protokentarchos

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #50 on: May 01, 2011, 11:26:35 PM »

My thanks to Punch for his response. Some people, like myself, are not very active on the internet and therefore are not used to the lingo used. I would never have thought to google it.

Thomas
Convert Issues Forum Mmoderator

I am on several forums, and it seems that new acronyms are formed weekly.  Everytime I think I have a handle on them, some new ones come up.  I have to admit, I have not seen QFT anywhere yet but this forum, so that is why I had to look it up.  It surprised me that it was the first thing that came up on the Google search.  Normally I have to look at a few entries.

Orthodox only because of God and His Russians.
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: