OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 02, 2014, 01:49:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why doesn't Arch. Rowan Williams....  (Read 1670 times) Average Rating: 0
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« on: April 30, 2011, 08:33:39 AM »

Why doesn't Archbishop Rowan Williams, if he is an orthodox Anglican, simply say enough and lay the "smackdown" on the rogue Anglicans and immediately put an end to the spiritual mischief?
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2011, 08:35:27 AM »

Or convert to Orthodoxy.

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2011, 08:36:57 AM »

Or convert to Orthodoxy.
That'd be nice, but then there might not be an orthodox Archbishop in Canterbury... Someone needs to lead the Anglicans back, it won't happen unless they have orthodox leaders (who are willing to take a stand) guiding them. The same thing obviously also goes for the Roman Catholics but this is about the Anglicans...
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2011, 09:03:48 AM »

Depends on your definition of "orthodox".  I'm fairly certain Archbishop Rowan Williams is a big fan of the Affirming Catholicism movement, so I doubt he would live up to your standard.

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Protospatharios

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2011, 03:13:47 PM »

Why doesn't Archbishop Rowan Williams, if he is an orthodox Anglican, simply say enough and lay the "smackdown" on the rogue Anglicans and immediately put an end to the spiritual mischief?
Does he really have that kind of universal authority?
Veniamin
Fire for Effect!
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the South

St. Barbara, patroness of the Field Artillery

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2011, 03:20:45 PM »

Outside the CofE, about the most he could do would be to disinvite the primates of other churches from coming to Lambeth, effectively kicking them out of the Anglican Communion.  Even within the CofE, I'm not sure what kind of authority he has over diocesan bishops, rogue or otherwise.

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl. ~Frederick the Great
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2011, 03:34:26 PM »

Because he's not an orthodox Anglican or orthodox anything.  The man is an ecumenist and a post modernist.  He does whatever he wants.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2011, 03:35:47 PM »

Two reasons:

1) Rowan Williams isn't all that "orthodox".  He likes the pageantry and traditions and academic study of the fathers but he was always a bit on the liberal side in regards to the practice of the faith.  He's toned his liberalism down since becoming Archbishop, because he does believe at the very least in the Catholicism of his church, but at the end of the day his sympathies lie more with tEC and Canadian Anglican Church.

2) While he could indeed lay more of a smackdown (say by disinviting the Episcopalian bishops from Lambeth and all Anglican functions), he cannot just excommunicate these churches on his own authority, not even for just the CofE.  That said, were he to go ahead with that sort of proceeding he would have the majority of the Anglican Communion on his side, but he would never be able to get it that far, as he would be unable to get his own bishops in England to go along with it.  As mentioned above, though, he believes in "Catholicism" in a rather twisted sense, and believes it's his job to get the liberals and conservatives (and low and high churches) to all sit around a table having tea and crumpets with a nice side of Anglican fudge, talking about rainbows and gumdrops and unicorns.

I for one would love to see the Queen take these matters into her own hand, all the reports I'd heard back in my own Anglican days were that she is most definitely not amused.

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2011, 03:48:35 PM »

Two reasons:

1) Rowan Williams isn't all that "orthodox".  He likes the pageantry and traditions and academic study of the fathers but he was always a bit on the liberal side in regards to the practice of the faith.  He's toned his liberalism down since becoming Archbishop, because he does believe at the very least in the Catholicism of his church, but at the end of the day his sympathies lie more with tEC and Canadian Anglican Church.

2) While he could indeed lay more of a smackdown (say by disinviting the Episcopalian bishops from Lambeth and all Anglican functions), he cannot just excommunicate these churches on his own authority, not even for just the CofE.  That said, were he to go ahead with that sort of proceeding he would have the majority of the Anglican Communion on his side, but he would never be able to get it that far, as he would be unable to get his own bishops in England to go along with it.  As mentioned above, though, he believes in "Catholicism" in a rather twisted sense, and believes it's his job to get the liberals and conservatives (and low and high churches) to all sit around a table having tea and crumpets with a nice side of Anglican fudge, talking about rainbows and gumdrops and unicorns.

I for one would love to see the Queen take these matters into her own hand, all the reports I'd heard back in my own Anglican days were that she is most definitely not amused.

Now I would like the Queen, or the future King Prince Charles take a strong stance and do something. I sincerely hope Orthodoxy has enough influence on Prince Charles so that he gives a swift boot to the liberal Anglicans.
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2011, 04:10:34 PM »

Depends on your definition of "orthodox".  I'm fairly certain Archbishop Rowan Williams is a big fan of the Affirming Catholicism movement, so I doubt he would live up to your standard.

QFT

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
Kasatkin fan
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Archdiocese of Canada

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2011, 06:00:34 PM »

Williams is certainly not "Orthodox" in the way the bulk of the members of this forum would use the term.

Unfortunately the Anglican Communion has long been one without any true doctrines.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2011, 10:18:34 PM »

Does he really have that kind of universal authority?

Not by a long shot.

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2011, 10:24:36 PM »

Two reasons:

Now I would like the Queen, or the future King Prince Charles take a strong stance and do something. I sincerely hope Orthodoxy has enough influence on Prince Charles so that he gives a swift boot to the liberal Anglicans.

From what I know about recent Archbishops of Cantebury (which isn't very much) I understand that Williams' predecessor, George Carey, was a lot more conservative -- or perhaps I should say evangelical.

Now, as far as a monarch taking matters into hand ... well, let's just say that don't relish reading how that will be written up in Catholic publications. Lips Sealed

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
Altar Server
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian(as of 12/18/10)

Most Holy Theotokos Save Us!

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2011, 11:55:41 PM »

I noticed that there were no priesteses at the royal wedding would that be out of respect to Her Majesty's traditional views?

"Come ye take light from The Light that is never overtaken by night and glorify the Christ, who is risen from the dead"
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2011, 03:01:19 AM »

Two reasons:

Why do you even care how they manage their own church is beyond me.
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2011, 04:13:26 AM »

I noticed that there were no priesteses at the royal wedding would that be out of respect to Her Majesty's traditional views?
i think the reason is that there are currently no female bishops in the CofE. Female clergy have served at chapels conected with royal residences. What makes you think Mrs. Windsor's views are traditional? Since her job depends on her keeping her views to herself, she does just that.

Proverbs 22:7
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2011, 05:20:36 AM »

Why do you even care how they manage their own church is beyond me.

I see that Romania has yet to invent such a fascinating Human trait as "curiosity". angel
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 05:21:59 AM by Alpo » Logged
mabsoota
Archon

Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2011, 05:28:56 AM »

former archbishop george carey is a devout Christian who sincerely believes that people should follow Jesus in what we would regard as a fairly orthodox way. he spoke out against the liberals. the liberals in the anglican church basically believe that you just believe whatever you want (but not the virgin birth or resurrection as they are unlikely to have 'really' happened), go to church and be a nice person.
when he was archbishop, i was going through a phase of being anglican on my way to orthodoxy, as i thought at that time there was a viable future for the anglican church.
Daedelus1138
Elder

Faith: Christian

« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2011, 05:54:43 PM »

Williams doesn't have that kind of authority, for one.

Williams is fairly "orthodox" in terms of his belief in the Nicene Creed, specificly the deity of Christ, the virgin birth and resurrection.  But he's Affirming Catholic in terms of his views of women and homosexuals.  He's not John Shelby Spong or Marcus Borg.
Alcuin

Faith: Catholic

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2011, 03:54:55 PM »

Sort of like the Patriarch of Constantinople in Eastern Orthodoxy (not to paint with too broad a brush, just using an analogy) the Archbishop does not have any jurisdictional pre-eminence or authority within the Anglican Communion.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: