OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 22, 2014, 11:58:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OC.net in the real world  (Read 1563 times) Average Rating: 0
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« on: April 29, 2011, 05:49:26 PM »

I've started once a thread whether you were scolded for participating in this forum. I'm now asking for the opposite thing. Have you ever got some gratitudes for it? Some Church awards, participating in the real world Orthodox debates (a few posters here can be considered Orthodox publicists), have you been recognised as OC.net posters etc?

It's not directed to the admins and moderators only.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 05:04:58 PM by Michał Kalina » Logged
Veniamin
Fire for Effect!
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the South

St. Barbara, patroness of the Field Artillery

« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 08:28:09 PM »

It's always gratifying to meet another OC.net poster in church (which has happened to me a couple of times).  Does that count?

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl. ~Frederick the Great
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2011, 12:44:06 AM »

Well, not in oc.net, but certainly in another forum, coptichymns.net, I was very aggressive against a poster who compared a certain church to a terrorist group.  A deacon from that Church, a close friend of mine, called me to tell me how many people in his church read my comments and thanked me for them.

Sometimes what you write can have a big effect on people.  Other times, it's just a fun hobby.

Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
authio
Elder

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2011, 01:07:13 AM »

I met one of my best friends through this forum.  And we went to the same University, which helped.

No awards or accolades can match that reward for me.

Christ is risen!
Cristo ha resucitado!
Христос Воскресе!
Χριστός Ανέστη!
 المسيح قام
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011, 04:56:08 PM »

I have had wonderful relationships & conversations with people from the forum.  Half of those people are why I joined in the first place and why I stay! 

I would say that the best part is that it really does feel like a community.  I mean we pray for each other for peet's sake! 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2011, 05:02:48 PM »

I sort of got recognized as a poster from here, not long after my initial post as an inquirer.  Someone was kind enough to recommend a parish that wasn't too far from me at the time that he went to himself.  After that first service he came up to me and asked "FormerReformer?"  Guess I kinda stood out  Cheesy

But as far as anything other than other posters here, nope, nothing. 
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 05:04:04 PM by FormerReformer » Logged

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
PoorFoolNicholas
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Theologoumenon

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2011, 05:05:29 PM »

I mean we pray for each other for peet's sake! 
Yep, except for PtA, I never pray for him... Tongue

I was asked to be on a podcast concerning Orthodox converts because of my stay here on OC.net.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2011, 05:06:30 PM »

No congratulations, but I have been reprimanded on the internet by a Deacon I knew in real life (though that's sort of the opposite of what you're asking about?).  On another unrelated and off topic note, I've also traveled to meet a member of the forum when he got baptized.

Large Marge sent me...
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2011, 05:08:29 PM »

I don't know why, but I would kind of be afraid to be recognized by a member in my church! I have no idea why. I felt antsy about even identifying my metropolis location, let alone my church! As a catechumen, I don't want to make it look like I'm speaking for them.

No one would probably identify me (except for those I PM with blog addresses and such), because people seem to think that I am the woman in my icon. LOL I wish.  Cheesy

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2011, 05:52:10 PM »

I don't know why, but I would kind of be afraid to be recognized by a member in my church! I have no idea why. I felt antsy about even identifying my metropolis location, let alone my church! As a catechumen, I don't want to make it look like I'm speaking for them.

Pretty much the same here.  If my username doesn't give that away, I'm not sure what will.

No one would probably identify me (except for those I PM with blog addresses and such), because people seem to think that I am the woman in my icon. LOL I wish.  Cheesy

A relatively easy mistake to make, considering my regular picture is a prophet holding a script while being ejected from a whale's mouth.  Smiley

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2011, 09:06:13 PM »

Haha, I'll go up to an icon and say, "What's up, Cognomen?" Blasphemy!

Oh, but P.S, I have met message board friends in person, and it's so much fun. I DO hope to get to meet some of you one day!
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 09:08:59 PM by IsmiLiora » Logged

--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2011, 03:30:37 AM »

Pretty much the same here.  If my username doesn't give that away, I'm not sure what will.

A relatively easy mistake to make, considering my regular picture is a prophet holding a script while being ejected from a whale's mouth.  Smiley

Wait, you mean you're not the girl in your avatar and Cognomen's not Prophet Jonah??

Feeling a bit ripped off right now.

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2011, 10:32:46 AM »

You and several others, akimori makoto. Grin

--
--
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2011, 10:50:31 AM »

One of the members here from OC.net attends my parish. There is another here who lives quite a ways away but he and I chat on the phone occassionally. So that is one benefit of being here.

You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2011, 06:12:19 PM »

You and several others, akimori makoto. Grin

I don't get why people don't use their real pictures in their avatars. I mean, I am an anime ninja with freaky eye-powers in real life.

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2011, 06:21:06 PM »

For some reason, I used to think that people looked like their online avatars, much the way they say people start to look like their pets. And people pick all sorts of emblems- fire-spitting dragons, pictures of mountains, and so forth. I was always thinking I'd run into someone in the supermarket and they'd be wearing a giant dragon mask, to match their avatar.  Roll Eyes  Grin
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2011, 07:23:18 AM »

It's hard for me to believe that nothing happens. Maybe because there are many other influential lay Orthodox organisations in the USA (OCL etc.)..
jah777
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2011, 02:26:07 PM »

people seem to think that I am the woman in my icon. LOL I wish.  Cheesy

You fooled me!  Who is your avatar then?  (Not that I would know who the person is, but I am now curious) 
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: