OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 25, 2014, 12:17:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Does anybody else have a lot of spite towards the Royal Family & Wedding?  (Read 4000 times) Average Rating: 0
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« on: April 29, 2011, 04:27:24 PM »

All of their money from the past came off the hard working backs of the working man.  Their current investments came from that money.  They own so much of BP, Canada, and many other parts of the world (including much of the banking sector).

Then they go on TV and everybody's heart is throbbing because it's a princess/prince story.

LOL, it eeks my stomach out.  They are only flaunting money that they forced others to pay them at one time.  It's like a royal "food stamp" wedding, but they have fleeced the common man for his money & for food.

They feel like they are "entitled" because they give themselves "titles".

Do you have any spite of what they have done?
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 04:28:00 PM by yeshuaisiam » Logged

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 04:30:39 PM »

It's more often those without titles who have the mentality of entitlement.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 04:52:55 PM »

I'm a borderline anarchist and still no.  The royal family had their use in the past and if they had more power today England might not be devolving into the nanny-state nonsense she's seeing now.  Let the British hold on to whatever tradition they have left, they need it.

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2011, 04:57:40 PM »

I'm a borderline anarchist and still no. 

Well, at least you are borderline and not full-on Wink

Anyway, I don't see how one can be spiteful towards them. Does it really matter? Do you feel spite towards the middle and upper classes of today's society? We deserve it just as much (if not more) than monarchs like this.

The monarchs represent far more than just themselves, and so all the pomp and circumstance and regalia is certainly grand and aristocratic, but as we saw today, it stands for far more than the monarchy itself.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2011, 05:00:19 PM »

All of their money from the past came off the hard working backs of the working man.  Their current investments came from that money.  They own so much of BP, Canada, and many other parts of the world (including much of the banking sector).

Then they go on TV and everybody's heart is throbbing because it's a princess/prince story.

LOL, it eeks my stomach out.  They are only flaunting money that they forced others to pay them at one time.  It's like a royal "food stamp" wedding, but they have fleeced the common man for his money & for food.

No. Why should I harbor such envy and jealousy toward them?
Punch
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2011, 05:03:28 PM »

Spite? No.  It would actually be difficult for me to find a way to care less than I do now about what happens over there.

Orthodox only because of God and His Russians.
genesisone
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2011, 06:20:58 PM »

First of all, why do you care? Would you like me to launch into a diatribe about the foibles of US Presidents and ask how you can support such a system?

Do you feel the same way about the despotic monarchs of some Middle Eastern nations? What about the republican presidents of China, North Korea, and elsewhere? Do they receive your admiration or your spite?

If it's just that you aren't interested in the media attention given to them, leave it alone. Listen to the current antics of Charlie Sheen and that ilk instead.

Finally and most importantly, if you have such spite, shouldn't you be praying about that and seeking some spiritual guidance?
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2011, 06:21:28 PM »

If it weren't for these threads, I would know nothing about it.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
celticfan1888
Production Operator - Chemtrusion
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholicism
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2011, 06:23:36 PM »

So you hate people because of what their family did? Thats classy. Monarchies are one of the best forms of government in my opinion.

Forgive my sins.
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2011, 06:28:22 PM »

I love monarchies, so no.

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2011, 06:53:52 PM »

Anyway, I don't see how one can be spiteful towards them. Does it really matter? Do you feel spite towards the middle and upper classes of today's society? We deserve it just as much (if not more) than monarchs like this.

The monarchs represent far more than just themselves, and so all the pomp and circumstance and regalia is certainly grand and aristocratic, but as we saw today, it stands for far more than the monarchy itself.

Absolutely not.  Most of the upper & middle classes today have earned their money.

The monarchs TOOK their money from hard working people.  Then they go flaunt it like if they are the epiphany of greatness.

yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2011, 06:55:28 PM »

So you hate people because of what their family did? Thats classy. Monarchies are one of the best forms of government in my opinion.

Yes because they kept all the money they stole off the backs of hard working people, and flaunt it in our faces.  They are evil and wicked.  From generation to generation their cursed money passed on.  Here you have it, fancy isn't it?  How many starved for their fortunes?

yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2011, 06:59:28 PM »

First of all, why do you care? Would you like me to launch into a diatribe about the foibles of US Presidents and ask how you can support such a system?

Do you feel the same way about the despotic monarchs of some Middle Eastern nations? What about the republican presidents of China, North Korea, and elsewhere? Do they receive your admiration or your spite?

If it's just that you aren't interested in the media attention given to them, leave it alone. Listen to the current antics of Charlie Sheen and that ilk instead.

Finally and most importantly, if you have such spite, shouldn't you be praying about that and seeking some spiritual guidance?

Charlie Sheen didn't steal money from a nation and flaunt it in our faces.  Charlie Sheen mainly harms himself.  It's his problem.

Yes you are correct, I do not like the leaders of China or North Korea.

I do not like the Monarchies and elite of this world.  They hurt their nations through centuries and flaunt it in our faces.  They even own banking cartels and print currencies today which regulate our payment for work (money value).  They are criminals in my opinion.

Finally, no, I don't think I should pray for guidance of my dislike for tyrants. I didn't see Yeshua kissing up to Pilate.

Our government here in America is our servants, (public servants), hence, Romans 13 doesn't apply as that is for "authorities".

Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Denver

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2011, 06:59:54 PM »

They are only flaunting money that they forced others to pay them at one time.  It's like a royal "food stamp" wedding, but they have fleeced the common man for his money & for food.

hm....didn't the Bolsheviks say this about the Tzar?

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: BZZT

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2011, 07:00:52 PM »

I'm glad I live in a capitalist-esque society, where the rich don't make money off the work of the poor. Oh wait...  Cool

Optimist: Throw enough ideas at the wall and one is bound to stick.
Pessimist: Throw enough poo at the wall and the room is bound to stink.
Realist: You don't really need to throw things at walls to solve problems.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2011, 07:11:47 PM »

Our government here in America is our servants, (public servants), hence, Romans 13 doesn't apply as that is for "authorities".

Which flavor of kool-aid are you drinking? I have to get me some.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2011, 07:21:39 PM »

Yes because they kept all the money they stole off the backs of hard working people, and flaunt it in our faces.  They are evil and wicked.  From generation to generation their cursed money passed on.  Here you have it, fancy isn't it?  How many starved for their fortunes?

Dude, stop feeding me BS, every government does that. So what do you want to do, hm? I bet you'd like to be a leader.

Forgive my sins.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2011, 07:22:53 PM »

Just a general warning that this discussion is starting to border on the political, if it hasn't already crossed the line. Please be careful, otherwise you risk seeing some/all of this thread moved to Politics and warnings handed out to culpable parties.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 07:23:23 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Denver

« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2011, 07:26:59 PM »

^ I had a feeling...

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2011, 07:28:55 PM »

You live in Texas.

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2011, 07:34:10 PM »

Just a general warning that this discussion is starting to border on the political, if it hasn't already crossed the line. Please be careful, otherwise you risk seeing some/all of this thread moved to Politics and warnings handed out to culpable parties.
I've been told to ask Fr. Chris for access to the political sections.  I don't know who that is but I'd love access. ;o)

bogdan
OC.net guru

« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2011, 07:36:52 PM »

Absolutely not.  Most of the upper & middle classes today have earned their money.

The monarchs TOOK their money from hard working people.  Then they go flaunt it like if they are the epiphany of greatness.

Render unto Caesar...
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2011, 07:50:34 PM »

Render unto Caesar...

That's not Caesar.

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2011, 08:04:22 PM »

Not to be technical, but some members of the royal family have served in the military, so they did have 'real jobs.' Also, they bring in lots of money when tourists come to see them, thus repaying the country for what they get. Yes, it's a big, showy wedding, but what did you expect, $18 at the clerk of the court's office? The money they spend will employ caterers, waiters, clothing designers, etc.

I'm pretty sure the royal family also has a number of charitable foundations, so they do give at least something to good causes every year.

All that said, I'm more in favor of democracies, but... there's not a heck of a lot I can do about the wedding, even if I wanted to, so I'm not going to waste my time hating them.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2011, 08:06:47 PM »

I'm watching it now on DVR. It reminds me why I am a monarchist. This is great.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 08:07:13 PM by Fr. Anastasios » Logged

Met. Demetrius's Enthronement

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching.

I served as an Orthodox priest from June 2008 to April 2013, before resigning for personal reasons
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2011, 08:07:11 PM »

That's not Caesar.

Indeed. If you had said about Caesar what you said about the Queen, you'd have "disappeared" by now  Tongue

Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2011, 08:10:03 PM »

LOL, it eeks my stomach out.  They are only flaunting money that they forced others to pay them at one time.  It's like a royal "food stamp" wedding, but they have fleeced the common man for his money & for food.

Yes because they kept all the money they stole off the backs of hard working people, and flaunt it in our faces.  They are evil and wicked.  From generation to generation their cursed money passed on.  Here you have it, fancy isn't it?  How many starved for their fortunes?

So it wasn't a hard job to be king? Defend your nation against constant wars? Keep it from tearing apart? Establishing all those charitable endowments, schools, churches, monasteries, etc?  Yeah, there were certainly problems and excesses, but that's the same as in "democracy" where mobs tend to steal money and kill people in the spirit of making things "even"...
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 08:10:47 PM by Fr. Anastasios » Logged

Met. Demetrius's Enthronement

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching.

I served as an Orthodox priest from June 2008 to April 2013, before resigning for personal reasons
bogdan
OC.net guru

« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2011, 08:22:19 PM »

Render unto Caesar...

That's not Caesar.

Roll Eyes

Whose face is on the money? Queen Elizabeth. Render unto Queen Elizabeth what is Queen Elizabeth's.

The royals are in charge because a long time ago their ancestors in a rather Darwinian way—survival of the fittest—slowly conquered/merged with all the other kingdoms in the British Isles. Their family has provided for their subjects down through the ages by protecting them and strengthening their nation. It's all a very organic process. You make it sound like a conspiracy, and there may have been a few in the mix, but overall it's just something that happened. It's very normal human tribalism on a grand scale, and a very natural form of government.

Or it was because a watery tart threw a sword at them.

Either way, they're in charge and in their country, all authority flows from them. The money is theirs because their bank prints it and it has their matriarch's picture on it.

Of course, in today's world the people have stripped away most of their actual power away. They are the uniative symbols of their country, just like in the US we have the Presidency and its many accoutrements, as well as many other things like celebrities.

Heck, in the Church we have pomp and circumstance for our bishops. It is simple human nature: we shower gifts on those who we perceive to be our common leaders and defenders.

And finally, are you even one of the Queen's subjects anyway? If not, why do you even care?
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 08:24:48 PM by bogdan » Logged
Veniamin
Fire for Effect!
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the South

St. Barbara, patroness of the Field Artillery

« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2011, 08:25:49 PM »

Why should I have any spite towards them?  And even if I had reason to, didn't some guy say something about loving our enemies or something like that?  I know I heard that somewhere...

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl. ~Frederick the Great
bogdan
OC.net guru

« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2011, 08:27:10 PM »

Not to be technical, but some members of the royal family have served in the military, so they did have 'real jobs.' Also, they bring in lots of money when tourists come to see them, thus repaying the country for what they get. Yes, it's a big, showy wedding, but what did you expect, $18 at the clerk of the court's office? The money they spend will employ caterers, waiters, clothing designers, etc.

I was listening to BBC Radio this morning, and they pointed out that Prince William is—and will continue to be—a full-time RAF pilot, and the Dutchess Catherine will be living the life of a military wife, likely until William becomes heir-apparent.

It's not as if these people are lying around on couches all day, eating grapes.

[edit] And if I'm not mistaken, they depend a good deal on their personal wealth these days, not so much taxes. These aren't the Middle Ages, after all.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 08:30:45 PM by bogdan » Logged
genesisone
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2011, 08:36:42 PM »

All that said, I'm more in favor of democracies, but... there's not a heck of a lot I can do about the wedding, even if I wanted to, so I'm not going to waste my time hating them.
We're in agreement on the basic point, but just to clarify, I think you mean "republic" not "democracy". Last time I checked, Canada, UK, Sweden, Netherlands, et al., definitely qualify as democracies. On the other hand, we can easily name a few republics that are anything but democracies.
Robb
OC.net guru

Faith: RC
Jurisdiction: Italian Catholic

« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2011, 02:04:05 AM »

All monarchies have mad their fortunes by plundering from others, either foreign nations or their own citizens.  This doesn't disqualify all the good that they have done throughout the centuries (Henry VIII and his harlot daughter not withstanding).  Who would possibly have a qualm with these royal nuptials?  English republicans?  Wild eyed, disgruntled Irishmen?  Scottish Calvinist?  American slack jawed, tea party types?  I sure don't. 

The land of my ancestors used to have a monarchy, but the allies pressured us to get ride of it after the last war?  I wish that they'd bring it back soon so that Italy can have some stability and reverence returned to her civic life as before (Although, to be fair that monarchy was composed of a lot of anti clericalism and Freemasons so it wasn't a "true" Christian monarchy in the strict sense as was Spains or Russia's). 

All countries would do well to have some type of monarchy or figurehead to be s shinning example for them, just like the English have with theirs.

Men may dislike truth, men may find truth offensive and inconvenient, men may persecute the truth, subvert it, try by law to suppress it. But to maintain that men have the final power over truth is blasphemy, and the last delusion. Truth lives forever, men do not.
-- Gustave Flaubert
JimCBrooklyn
Site Supporter
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Moscow Patriarchate-Diocese of Saint Petersburg/ROCOR-Diocese of Eastern America and New York

Если бога нет, то все позволено

« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2011, 02:28:54 AM »

The wedding was on the TV in my gym here yesterday, and yes, of course, every historical monarchy had it's share of baggage, but the tradition, especially in this day and age, is a worthy thing to hold on to. We got to talking in the gym about it, and how in spite of the many, many excesses and abuses of the Tsars (our founding father, Петр I, probably the worst of them, at least to the Church), it would be very cool in some ways if Russia had a similar figurehead these days, a ceremonial figurehead Romanov, remaining from the past. Could you imagine how those weddings would be?

As to the abuses that created, or helped to create their wealth, every era has it's reforms, and it's own take on what is or is not acceptable. There is a lot of context to all of this, and the major precedents for taking the money of royalty away were set by our fine Orthodox friends, the terrorist French First Republic, and the lovely Bolsheviks.

It is not the task of Christianity to provide easy answers to every question, but to make us progressively aware of a mystery. God is not so much the object of our knowledge as the cause of our wonder.
-Metropolitan Kallistos Ware
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2011, 03:02:19 AM »

The land of my ancestors used to have a monarchy, but the allies pressured us to get ride of it after the last war?  I wish that they'd bring it back soon so that Italy can have some stability and reverence returned to her civic life as before (Although, to be fair that monarchy was composed of a lot of anti clericalism and Freemasons so it wasn't a "true" Christian monarchy in the strict sense as was Spains or Russia's).

I actually met Princess Silvia when I was quite young.

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2011, 05:18:23 AM »

The only thing I dislike about the Royal Family's money, is how much of their past money was acquired through outright theft (not just taxes, but literally deciding one day that person x's estate now belongs to the King).  However, I would - in all likelihood anyways - not today be living in Arizona had the US government not invaded Mexico and decided to take Arizona for its own.  In fact, I would not likely be what is today America had the English and others not decided to take over large portions of land that belonged to someone else.  The fact of the matter is that these thefts happened a long time ago, and it would be damn near impossible to return the property to the person who is the closest living heir to people who died hundreds of years ago.  As such, I say we move on from the past and return to today.

As to the Royal Family spending state money on their wedding (and I am not entirely certain that they did so), the Royal Family owns a massive amount of property and other investments which presently the British government take the income from, in exchange for a set amount of money (and possibly some allowances of various sorts, I can't recall exactly) to be paid to the Royal Family.  Because of the amount the British take in from the Family's estate, the British actually make money every year off the deal.  I suppose in a way, this is actually the closest one can come to returning the property that the Queen's distant ancestors outright took from others, seeing as how many of their descendants would today be paying somewhat higher taxes (or Britain's government would be ever closer to bankruptcy) if not for this deal.

I was surprised to see so many supporters of monarchy on this site.  You can add my name to that list (the best government is either one where there is a monarch - who has actual power - or no government at all).

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
SubdeaconDavid
"...the spread of the light of Orthodoxy among the peoples of all the lands where our Church exists continues as an inseparable part of our mission": Metropolitan Hilarion, First Hierarch of ROCOR
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Russian Orthodox Church Abroad (ROCOR)

Помилуй мя Боже, по велицей милости Твоей

« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2011, 07:55:11 AM »

Charlie Sheen didn't steal money from a nation and flaunt it in our faces.  Charlie Sheen mainly harms himself.  It's his problem.

I do not like the Monarchies and elite of this world.  They hurt their nations through centuries and flaunt it in our faces.  They even own banking cartels and print currencies today which regulate our payment for work (money value).  They are criminals in my opinion.

Finally, no, I don't think I should pray for guidance of my dislike for tyrants. I didn't see Yeshua kissing up to Pilate.

I am not going to answer these absurd statements that are frankly erroneous.  What is absolutely clear about most Western monarchies is that they are rooted in Judeo-Christian values.   Kingship in every European monarchy acknowledges the Kingship of Jesus Christ. Look at the Coronation of the Queen.  The symbolism and the actual wording of the rite makes it very clear that Her Majesty is foremost a servant or perhaps better, handmaid of the Lord.  Her authority is from God.  She is annointed with chrism, receives Holy Communion (yes Anglican I know - she should be Orthodox) but it is entirely different to the self-seeking secular republicans, whose values for the main are rooted in atheism and if they are Christian have a huge stumbling block - the fact that Christian monarchy is the preferred system of government for a Christian country.

The restoration of Orthodox monarchy to Serbia, Rumania, Russia and Bulgaria for starters would be an enormous attack on the Evil One, and would support the mission of the Church in so many ways.

Visit my blog@  http://orthodoxtasmania.blogspot.com

To the Russians abroad it has been granted to shine in the whole world  the light of Orthodoxy, so that other peoples, seeing their good deeds, might glorify our Father in Heaven, and thus obtain salvation
S John of Shanghai & San Francisco
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2011, 10:56:06 AM »

I was surprised to see so many supporters of monarchy on this site.  You can add my name to that list (the best government is either one where there is a monarch - who has actual power - or no government at all).
Wow, that sounds like my political thoughts!

I have to be a closet monarchist, because that kind of stuff gets you laughed out the door at academia...so I identify as a center-right libertarian (kinda).

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2011, 11:16:09 AM »

The Hanovarians didn't steal so much as they accepted an offer of the monarchy from Parlaiment... And they wouldn't have been in a position to take the throne if Parlaiment hadn't handed it to a Dutch interloper in the first place.

England's monarchy is what it is today because of the elected representative government, which decided not to endorse the republican sentiments that were gaining traction during Victorian times.

I would actually like to see a monarch get uppity and point out that they don't actually have a written constitution. Or better yet, I would like to see a Jacobite prince take back the throne. If there's anyone who has a right to feel spite, it's the Stuarts.

(Is this too political?)

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL ORTHODOX CHURCH
PeaceSerenity

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2011, 11:36:41 AM »

It's just silly money, if you really think of it. Sure, that money could help a lot of people if it were distributed to the poor, for example. But no matter how wasteful a government is, there are some things they can't take away and those are the important ones  Wink [End of optimistic/cliche message]
bogdan
OC.net guru

« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2011, 11:52:16 AM »

I would actually like to see a monarch get uppity and point out that they don't actually have a written constitution.

I have often wondered about this. This is a major plot point in the insightful and important film Johnny English. Reportedly the British monarch has more power than almost any other head of state in the world, they simply don't use the powers anymore.

Since the military and government officials are sworn to the monarch personally, the British Monarch still has theoretical total power. Logically, they could theoretically do away with it all in reinstate absolute monarchy, or at least do away with much of the "constitution".

Not that it would happen, but it could, couldn't it?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 11:53:49 AM by bogdan » Logged
Chelsea

« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2011, 12:17:22 PM »

No, I don't have any spite towards the royal family.  I think the ceremony was lovely and I wish the couple well. 
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2011, 12:29:27 PM »

The monarch would be violating their coronation oath (to govern according to the nation's respective laws and customs), of which there is precedent of how to deal with them:  Charles I.   Wink
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 12:29:56 PM by Entscheidungsproblem » Logged

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
Punch
Warned
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2011, 05:46:10 PM »

Amen.

I am not going to answer these absurd statements that are frankly erroneous.  What is absolutely clear about most Western monarchies is that they are rooted in Judeo-Christian values.   Kingship in every European monarchy acknowledges the Kingship of Jesus Christ. Look at the Coronation of the Queen.  The symbolism and the actual wording of the rite makes it very clear that Her Majesty is foremost a servant or perhaps better, handmaid of the Lord.  Her authority is from God.  She is annointed with chrism, receives Holy Communion (yes Anglican I know - she should be Orthodox) but it is entirely different to the self-seeking secular republicans, whose values for the main are rooted in atheism and if they are Christian have a huge stumbling block - the fact that Christian monarchy is the preferred system of government for a Christian country.

The restoration of Orthodox monarchy to Serbia, Rumania, Russia and Bulgaria for starters would be an enormous attack on the Evil One, and would support the mission of the Church in so many ways.

Orthodox only because of God and His Russians.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2011, 06:14:44 PM »

The monarch would be violating their coronation oath (to govern according to the nation's respective laws and customs), of which there is precedent of how to deal with them:  Charles I.   Wink
That didn't work out, and the Brits haven't been foolish enough to try a republic since then.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
ialmisry
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #44 on: April 30, 2011, 06:19:02 PM »

No, envy is a deadly sin and leads nowhere.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #45 on: April 30, 2011, 06:24:00 PM »

God save the Queen!

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #46 on: April 30, 2011, 06:45:55 PM »

God save the Queen!

God Save Our Noble Queen!

Forgive my sins.
Agia Marina
Site Supporter
Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA, Bulgarian Diocese

St. Marina of Antioch

« Reply #47 on: May 02, 2011, 03:08:13 AM »

I'm glad I live in a capitalist-esque society, where the rich don't make money off the work of the poor. Oh wait...  Cool
A poor person never offered me a job. Wink

“When I have a little money I buy books; and if any is left, I buy food and clothes.” - Erasmus

"God became man so that man might become a god." ~St. Athanasius the Great

Poster formerly known as EVOO.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #48 on: May 02, 2011, 03:10:59 AM »

Touche!

Agia Marina
Site Supporter
Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA, Bulgarian Diocese

St. Marina of Antioch

« Reply #49 on: May 02, 2011, 03:15:31 AM »

I don't envy them or have spite toward them in the least.  All I can say is, God bless them and grant them many happy years together.

“When I have a little money I buy books; and if any is left, I buy food and clothes.” - Erasmus

"God became man so that man might become a god." ~St. Athanasius the Great

Poster formerly known as EVOO.
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #50 on: May 02, 2011, 03:39:12 AM »

To Thread Question: No.

God save the Queen!
!!!
God Save Our Noble Queen!
Never thought I would see a Celtic supporter write that.  Smiley
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 03:55:55 AM by Cognomen » Logged

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #51 on: May 02, 2011, 12:32:58 PM »

I'm one of the very few monarchist Celtic fans. Smiley
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 12:34:26 PM by celticfan1888 » Logged

Forgive my sins.
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #52 on: May 02, 2011, 12:40:07 PM »

Surprised?? Smiley

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
ialmisry
Hypatos

« Reply #53 on: May 02, 2011, 12:43:43 PM »

Christ is risen!
Really? Several have offered me the job of supporting them.

Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #54 on: May 02, 2011, 05:57:24 PM »

You aren't exaggerating.  Smiley  Glad to make your acquaintance, from another club's support with a somewhat ambivalent (at best) relationship to the monarchy.

No, just lending my support through the liberal use of exclamation points!

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #55 on: May 02, 2011, 06:35:51 PM »

Surprised?? Smiley

Cheesy

celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #56 on: May 02, 2011, 06:59:37 PM »

You aren't exaggerating.  Smiley  Glad to make your acquaintance, from another club's support with a somewhat ambivalent (at best) relationship to the monarchy.

What club do you pull for mate?

Forgive my sins.
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #57 on: May 02, 2011, 07:05:56 PM »

The freshly relegated to League 1 Sheffield United.  Up the Blades!

Their support is very working class and 'Northern', so they retain a lot of ambivalence or animosity towards the monarchy, anything 'Thatcherite', or anything they perceive as being anti-mining in any shape or form (even if they have no direct connection with mines or the strikes).  It's been an experience to see my fellow supporters and friends put everything they have, passions, fortune, etc. into following a football club.

John of the North
Protokentarchos

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #58 on: May 02, 2011, 07:18:37 PM »

Their support is very working class and 'Northern', so they retain a lot of ambivalence or animosity towards the monarchy, anything 'Thatcherite', or anything they perceive as being anti-mining in any shape or form (even if they have no direct connection with mines or the strikes).  It's been an experience to see my fellow supporters and friends put everything they have, passions, fortune, etc. into following a football club.

Just when I thought we could be friends. Sheffield United?! For shame...

Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #59 on: May 02, 2011, 07:31:03 PM »

I knew the Leeds... umm, supporters would show their faces after my post.  You'll have to give us some tips on League 1 Wink

In seriousness, I'm assuming you've run into similarly hostile attitudes towards the monarchy amongst fellow Yorkshire folk.

Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Truth, Justice, and the American way!

« Reply #60 on: May 02, 2011, 07:39:21 PM »

No, the apparent "frivolity" isn't really for the royals themselves, but the traditions and national pride of the people of the U.K.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #61 on: May 02, 2011, 07:43:55 PM »

I'm familiar with them, werent they in the EPL a few years back? My favorite clubs in england are EPL powerhouse Manchester United and League Two anklebiters Macclesfield Town.

Forgive my sins.
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #62 on: May 02, 2011, 08:06:57 PM »

I'm familiar with them, werent they in the EPL a few years back? My favorite clubs in england are EPL powerhouse Manchester United and League Two anklebiters Macclesfield Town.

Yeah, SUFC was in the EPL a few years ago.  They make it there from time to time.  The last time they were relegated was, in part, due to West Ham illegally playing Tevez and getting pts from those matches.
I have a bit of a soft spot for Macclesfield Town.  "We're the Lads from Macc... We wan't some crack!" [not illegal drugs]
As for SPL teams, I would probably lean towards Hearts.  Not that I particularly like them, but I've spent a lot more time in Edinburgh than Glasgow.

John of the North
Protokentarchos

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #63 on: May 02, 2011, 08:17:30 PM »

I knew the Leeds... umm, supporters would show their faces after my post.  You'll have to give us some tips on League 1 Wink

In seriousness, I'm assuming you've run into similarly hostile attitudes towards the monarchy amongst fellow Yorkshire folk.

I'm a glory hunter from the days when we played Valencia, I've never actually been to Yorkshire--though I dream of living there. But yes, the Leeds mailing list seems to have picked up a rather anti-monarchy bent over the last week, with a vocal pro-royalist minority. Of course, I tell myself it has less to do with Thatcher and more to do with 1069-70.

Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #64 on: May 02, 2011, 08:32:53 PM »

I'm a glory hunter from the days when we played Valencia, I've never actually been to Yorkshire--though I dream of living there. But yes, the Leeds mailing list seems to have picked up a rather anti-monarchy bent over the last week, with a vocal pro-royalist minority.
I think you can safely be acquitted of being a glory hunter if you suffered through their recent troubles.  Not a lot of recent Europe appearances for my lads, unless you count Malta friendlies  Grin.
At least you have a vocal pro-royalist minority.  We have a semi-vocal "we don't hate the monarchy and don't believe the national anthem should be immediately changed" minority.

Of course, I tell myself it has less to do with Thatcher and more to do with 1069-70.

I love it!  I'll tell myself that as well.  After all, the historical and political knowledge of your average Yorkshire area football supporter is really impressive  Wink.  Most seem to believe that the 'Winter of Discontent' in 78-79 was actually caused by Thatcher.
[Not attempting to make a political point.  P.M. Thatcher gained office after that period.  This type of ignorance, in my opinion, contributes to some of the anti-monarchist feelings among certain populations within the UK].

celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #65 on: May 02, 2011, 09:13:30 PM »

Yeah, SUFC was in the EPL a few years ago.  They make it there from time to time.  The last time they were relegated was, in part, due to West Ham illegally playing Tevez and getting pts from those matches.
I have a bit of a soft spot for Macclesfield Town.  "We're the Lads from Macc... We wan't some crack!" [not illegal drugs]
As for SPL teams, I would probably lean towards Hearts.  Not that I particularly like them, but I've spent a lot more time in Edinburgh than Glasgow.

I remimber the Tevez ordeal, did SUFC ever get money from West Ham?

Hearts is a good team, probably the only team in the SPL who could ever challenge the Old Firm to be honest.

Forgive my sins.
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #66 on: May 02, 2011, 09:23:22 PM »

In related news, as we have brought footie into the mix: http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/30042011/58/spl-rangers-baffled-royal-tribute.html

"Rangers could face FIFA action over a Royal Wedding tribute printed on the shirt of captain David Weir.

The defender wore a shirt paying tribute to Prince William and the Duchess of Cambridge during Saturday's 5-0 win away to Motherwell in the Scottish Premier League."

yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

« Reply #67 on: May 05, 2011, 04:00:22 PM »

It is interesting how the monarch print and use their own money, and FORCE the people to exchange the labor for their own money.  Then use the bible to render back the money.... You know... The Money, which is paper and created out of thin air.

Bible when it works in their favor, and their banks, charge interest which Christians should not.

It's a Royal scheme, and their dirty money roots are all part of it.   That's why I spite them.

ialmisry
Hypatos

« Reply #68 on: May 05, 2011, 04:20:52 PM »

Christ is risen!
It is interesting how the monarch print and use their own money, and FORCE the people to exchange the labor for their own money.  Then use the bible to render back the money.... You know... The Money, which is paper and created out of thin air.
Congress does the same thing. Get over it.

Bible when it works in their favor, and their banks, charge interest which Christians should not.
Ever heard of the Federal Reserve Board?

It's a Royal scheme, and their dirty money roots are all part of it.   That's why I spite them.
Then you are just being silly.

deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #69 on: May 05, 2011, 05:49:04 PM »

No. IMO, the sad state of the British monarchy is mostly the fault of the Parliament, who insist on keeping them around, but over the past several hundred years have gradually degraded them to the point where they essentially have no power. If the monarchy had been allowed to retain the power they had 300 years ago, then their wealth would still probably be worthwhile.

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #70 on: May 06, 2011, 02:20:13 AM »

Never thought much about the English Monarchy be it,Negatively/Positively....When the media Mentions them,Or this Forum ,That's about it .....And Life Goes on...... police
« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 02:23:39 AM by stashko » Logged

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #71 on: May 06, 2011, 02:37:39 AM »

I remimber the Tevez ordeal, did SUFC ever get money from West Ham?
Yeah, something around £25mil, which we clearly used well.   Angry

Now back on topic:
IMO, the sad state of the British monarchy is mostly the fault of the Parliament, who insist on keeping them around, but over the past several hundred years have gradually degraded them to the point where they essentially have no power. If the monarchy had been allowed to retain the power they had 300 years ago, then their wealth would still probably be worthwhile.

Completely agreed.  I can't remember the specific nobleman, it was a Duke (not helpful), but he was recently fuming over the plans to remove all hereditary positions from the House of Lords.  This wasn't due to, as we might incorrectly suspect, wanting that power and privilege.  Instead, it was because he viewed it as his duty to serve responsibly as part of that body.  He pretty much stated that the monarchy, without any real responsibilities, investment, and involvement in the nation's affairs was pointless.  I believe he went so far as to say, calmly and earnestly, that if he was ever removed from that duty, he would give up his land and title.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: