OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 23, 2014, 05:41:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Should Russia restore a ceremonial monarchy?  (Read 8959 times) Average Rating: 0
Marc1152
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #90 on: May 09, 2011, 03:54:18 PM »

Should the USA?

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #91 on: May 09, 2011, 04:07:50 PM »

Should the USA?

Judging by the hoopla and fawning over the Royal Wedding, the subject which started this whole discussion, you would think there would be some measure of support for the same!
Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #92 on: May 09, 2011, 04:40:39 PM »

Should the USA?

Judging by the hoopla and fawning over the Royal Wedding, the subject which started this whole discussion, you would think there would be some measure of support for the same!

I would not bet any money on that  Wink

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQZG0PLFs5w
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 04:44:48 PM by Marc1152 » Logged

podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #93 on: May 09, 2011, 04:43:02 PM »

Should the USA?

I would not bet any money on that  Wink

me neither.... Cheesy
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #94 on: May 09, 2011, 05:08:06 PM »

Russia should go further than ceremonial, and get a functional monarchy. I am not sure how the Russian people would feel on it, however (though I seem to recall a particular saint or elder predicting this would eventually happen).  

Elder Nikolai (Gurianov) apparently mentioned it at least twice.

"- In September 1997, a group of 10 piligrims visited Nikolai in his wooden hut. He came out to bless people and anoint them with holy oil. One woman asked: "Father Nikolai, who will be after Yeltsin?" He replied: "Afterwards there will be the military one...His power will be short. But his age is little as he is himself. There will be persecutions, upon the monks and the church. His power will be as it was during the communists...". She asked again: "And what will be after? After will there be an Orthodox Tsar. Will we live to see that?" "You, yes." After those words he blessed the woman.

- In June 2002, a group of Orthodox priests and laity visited Nikolai for his blessing. He was asked: "Will we see an Orthodox Tsar?" Nikolai having traced the sign of the cross, prayed and firmly said "A Tsar is coming!""

http://www.johnsanidopoulos.com/2009/04/elder-nikolai-gurianov.html

I also recently saw at least one prophecy from a saint from centuries ago that mentions a royal. According to this prophecy, before the 21st century is out, there will be a great war in which Europe is led to victory by this royal and the Roman Catholic and Orthodox Churches become one--the prophecy apparently reads as if the RCs convert to Orthodoxy. I haven't managed to see the original prophecy, but it sure is interesting.

The Hapsburgs and Romanovs died out.

Please inform Archduke Otto that he has died.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Otto_von_Habsburg

Besides Christ the King, no one.  But St. Vladimir didn't say no one was worthy, he claimed being a monarchist made one worthy and not being a monarchist disqualified, imposing a condition that Christ nor His Church recognized nor required.

He said that not being a monarchist was an indication of poor faith. That a monarch is from God but a republic is from the people. That a monarch keeps his office by following God, a president by pleasing the people.

For Russia, I would like to see a system divided between 3 primary "rulers", that of the President, the Prime Minister, and the Czar. Each would have unique powers and abilities, as well as unique influences. The people would elect the President, the Prime Minister would be appointed by the Federal Assembly, and of course, the Czar/Czaritsa would inherit the throne.

The President & Prime Minister wouldn't have much restrictions, but the Czar/Czaritsa would have to be an Orthodox Christian in good standing with the Church.

As a constitutional arrangement this doesn't make much sense. Having a monarch of any sort would render a President irrelevant.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 05:12:49 PM by John of the North » Logged

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #95 on: May 09, 2011, 05:23:43 PM »

I did read the article, it was fairly interesting.  As for whether the US should have a monarchy, I would like us to.  However, the problem would be in choosing someone.  While I can think of a bunch of people I would like, there is only person that stands any remote chance of being accepted by the American people, and that would be Queen Elizabeth...there simply is no one else (with the possible exception of Oprah, who has no husband or children) who could possibly garner enough support, that I am aware of.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #96 on: May 09, 2011, 10:54:14 PM »

Russia should go further than ceremonial, and get a functional monarchy. I am not sure how the Russian people would feel on it, however (though I seem to recall a particular saint or elder predicting this would eventually happen).  

"- In September 1997, a group of 10 piligrims visited Nikolai in his wooden hut. He came out to bless people and anoint them with holy oil. One woman asked: "Father Nikolai, who will be after Yeltsin?" He replied: "Afterwards there will be the military one...His power will be short. But his age is little as he is himself. There will be persecutions, upon the monks and the church. His power will be as it was during the communists...". She asked again: "And what will be after? After will there be an Orthodox Tsar. Will we live to see that?" "You, yes." After those words he blessed the woman.

- In June 2002, a group of Orthodox priests and laity visited Nikolai for his blessing. He was asked: "Will we see an Orthodox Tsar?" Nikolai having traced the sign of the cross, prayed and firmly said "A Tsar is coming!""

I also recently saw at least one prophecy from a saint from centuries ago that mentions a royal. According to this prophecy, before the 21st century is out, there will be a great war in which Europe is led to victory by this royal and the Roman Catholic and Orthodox Churches become one--the prophecy apparently reads as if the RCs convert to Orthodoxy. I haven't managed to see the original prophecy, but it sure is interesting.

There is a prophecy a Coptic monastery tended to show on its door, I forget which monastery.  In any case, it predicts the second coming of Christ occurring after the unity of all Christians into One Church.  Could "the Tsar" probably mean the Tsar of Tsars?

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
genesisone
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #97 on: May 10, 2011, 12:56:06 PM »

I did read the article, it was fairly interesting.  As for whether the US should have a monarchy, I would like us to.  However, the problem would be in choosing someone.  While I can think of a bunch of people I would like, there is only person that stands any remote chance of being accepted by the American people, and that would be Queen Elizabeth...there simply is no one else (with the possible exception of Oprah, who has no husband or children) who could possibly garner enough support, that I am aware of.
Maybe that has already happened and the announcement simply hasn't been made  Smiley.

This article lumps US presidents in with Commonwealth Prime Ministers!
During her long reign, the Queen has counted 14 British Prime Ministers, 12 Australian Prime Ministers, 11 Canadian Prime Ministers and 11 Presidents of the United States.
synLeszka
High Elder

Faith: Roman Catholic

« Reply #98 on: May 10, 2011, 04:27:31 PM »

Minasoliman:
The Apocalypse might be in 10.000 years, maybe 100.000 years. We should think about building Christendom on earth, not participate in this generation the apocalypse.
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #99 on: May 10, 2011, 04:44:34 PM »

There is a prophecy a Coptic monastery tended to show on its door, I forget which monastery.  In any case, it predicts the second coming of Christ occurring after the unity of all Christians into One Church.  Could "the Tsar" probably mean the Tsar of Tsars?

Could be.

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #100 on: May 10, 2011, 07:40:50 PM »

Minasoliman:
The Apocalypse might be in 10.000 years, maybe 100.000 years. We should think about building Christendom on earth, not participate in this generation the apocalypse.

We should always live as if tomorrow was Christ's second coming. Wink

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #101 on: May 10, 2011, 09:19:11 PM »

Christ is risen!
as many of u are american, can i ask u guys what's the deal with conservative american 'Christians' who are desperately keen to have more guns (surely a bad thing?) and also keen to protect unborn children from abortion (surely a good thing!).
how do those 2 things go together?

surely you guys should have 1 party that likes guns, free sex and abortion, and 1 that likes to limit everything?
i've actually tried to understand american politics but i never get it...
I'd ask what makes you think gun ownership is bad, but that would be political.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #102 on: May 10, 2011, 09:22:02 PM »

Christ is risen!
Absolutely not.  The people should rule their country.  No monarchy, no presidents, no leaders.
Power belongs to the people because after all its their country.
Their governments should be subjects to them.
Ah, the anarchy party-nobody for president.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #103 on: May 10, 2011, 09:29:00 PM »

Christ is risen!
Absolutely not.  The people should rule their country.  No monarchy, no presidents, no leaders.
Power belongs to the people because after all its their country.
Their governments should be subjects to them.
Ah, the anarchy party-nobody for president.

Or Pat Paulsen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4kWLUnorTU&feature=fvwrel

HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #104 on: May 11, 2011, 02:41:28 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

Of all people, Obama should of never been president.
I invested in US dollars, thinking that they might appreciate in value against the Euro and Pound. I was proved wrong Obama. Now I have worthless US dollars. Thank you Obama! Should of bought EURO, should of. See what happens in periods of economic instability; Although something kept me from buying Croatian kunas and Ukrainian hryvnas.. Thanks be to God that I did not invest in Croatian kunas..

Meh.. all US presidents are both scoundrels and yet ordained by God to be in such a powerful position over global affairs.  Obama is no better or worse than any other of the snakes that came before him and those that come after, but even the snakes have been appointed by God to serve a purpose.  So lets not be so crass, put the matter to prayer.  I have never been fond of any presidents, I am always quite critical of their moves and sayings, however even I must admit the symbolism and pageantry of Obama is quite special to me as an American.  We haven't had any black folks take the role as Scoundrel in Chief so lets enjoy it!  Remember God has ordained all these errors we seem to have for whatever purpose He intends!

If God intends us to have monarchies, than God Save the King! If God intends us to have presidents then God Bless the President! If God intends us to have scoundrels and snakes (as seems to be the case for thousands of years, even since King David who had Uriah killed over a matter of lust and yet look how God gave us the Solomonic Throne out of David's momentarily lapse in judgment!!), then God be With Us All!

Stay Blessed,
Habte Selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #105 on: May 11, 2011, 02:45:27 PM »

Obama should become our American monarch. I pledge my service to the King!

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #106 on: May 11, 2011, 02:52:04 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

Obama should become our American monarch. I pledge my service to the King!

Been there, done that Wink

PS, in all honesty, titles aside what is the difference exactly? I don't really see one in all practical reality.  If the people don't support the King, its a coup, if the people don't support the president its an election, either way God controls the true outcomes and we Christians generally submit in prayer to God first in these matters so president or king, let God be praised!

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
CRCulver
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Church of Finland and Romanian Orthodox Church

St Stephen of Perm, missionary to speakers of Komi

« Reply #107 on: May 11, 2011, 06:49:56 PM »

I invested in US dollars, thinking that they might appreciate in value against the Euro and Pound. I was proved wrong Obama.

The relatively low value of the dollar has been helpful for the American economy in that it makes American exports more competitive. The only hassle the low dollar causes is that tourism to the EU is more difficult, but that's simply not a concern for the majority of American and not something they're likely to lambast the current president for.
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #108 on: May 11, 2011, 07:24:08 PM »

I invested in US dollars, thinking that they might appreciate in value against the Euro and Pound. I was proved wrong Obama.

The relatively low value of the dollar has been helpful for the American economy in that it makes American exports more competitive. The only hassle the low dollar causes is that tourism to the EU is more difficult, but that's simply not a concern for the majority of American and not something they're likely to lambast the current president for.
Since the price of oil is pegged to the dollar, they are lamenting plenty about the skyrocketing price of oil.   Ditto how exports went up but the trade deficit went up due to oil.

but yes, with the tax rates frozen (not cut) for the first quarter and this, a little bump has been pumped into the economy. Now we'll see if the rest of the economy, with Obama's help, quashes it.

Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #109 on: May 11, 2011, 08:56:31 PM »

When I was a Senate Intern Prince Charles came for a visit. He walk down the steps while we were all kept on the other side of the street. I thought about yelling out "Sinn Fein" ( Irish Republican slogan "Ourselves Alone").. but I went all fuzzy and star struck.

However, I did throw garbage at Richard Nixon. We all waited on a corner during his inaugural parade. He went by in an open car sitting on the back. On signal we all hurled trash. I think I threw an empty can of soda..

His Secret Service body guard had ninja reflexes and deflected everything that was thrown, like Michael Carradine in Kung Fung.. Very impressive... I got clubbed.. So it goes

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #110 on: May 11, 2011, 09:02:28 PM »

When I was a Senate Intern Prince Charles came for a visit. He walk down the steps while we were all kept on the other side of the street. I thought about yelling out "Sinn Fein" ( Irish Republican slogan "Ourselves Alone").. but I went all fuzzy and star struck.

However, I did throw garbage at Richard Nixon. We all waited on a corner during his inaugural parade. He went by in an open car sitting on the back. On signal we all hurled trash. I think I threw an empty can of soda..

His Secret Service body guard had ninja reflexes and deflected everything that was thrown, like Michael Carradine in Kung Fung.. Very impressive... I got clubbed.. So it goes

Bravissimo!  Grin

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #111 on: May 11, 2011, 09:56:20 PM »

Nice  Grin

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #112 on: May 11, 2011, 10:54:34 PM »

I've had an idea.  How about Russia (and every other nation) adopts the Mt. Athos form of government, the monks run everything (but we can include the female monasteries).  The monks can all have gatherings of their abbots every six months or so, and they can make the laws and appoint the officials needed to oversee the various government departments.  It is a perfect mix of republic and lasting order (something most republics don't have, but abbots are elected for life or until resignation).

I am joking by the way (but think about the idea, it's a mildly interesting way to spend time).

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #113 on: May 11, 2011, 11:26:57 PM »

Christ is risen!
When I worked the House floor, when I was still an evangelical Protestant (as it turned out, my last year of it), when the Irish Embassy brought clover to be distributed, I asked if I could get a crate of oranges.  My boss (later Clerk of the House), a Protestant who insisted on being rebaptised when he submitted to the Vatican, said "I don't think so."

Jharek Carnelian

Faith: Less than perfect Catholic. Married to member of ROC

« Reply #114 on: May 12, 2011, 07:51:56 AM »

Christ is risen!
When I worked the House floor, when I was still an evangelical Protestant (as it turned out, my last year of it), when the Irish Embassy brought clover to be distributed, I asked if I could get a crate of oranges.  My boss (later Clerk of the House), a Protestant who insisted on being rebaptised when he submitted to the Vatican, said "I don't think so."

Quite right of him. That would have been remarkably petty as a gesture. I can't see why he was rebaptised unless there was some doubt about his first baptism and if his first baptism was a valid trinitarian one he should not have been.

And then my heart hath told me:
These will pass,
Will pass and change, will die and be no more,
Things bright and green, things young and happy;
And I have gone upon my way
Sorrowful.

'The Wayfarer' Pádraig Anraí Mac Piarais
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #115 on: May 12, 2011, 10:18:21 AM »

Christ is risen!

Quite right of him. That would have been remarkably petty as a gesture. I can't see why he was rebaptised unless there was some doubt about his first baptism and if his first baptism was a valid trinitarian one he should not have been.
He didn't have to be, he was the one who insisted on it.  He claimed (and I've seen corroboration since then) that any convert can be. There was a scandal in the Netherlands, if such a thing is possible anymore, when a member of the Royal House was rebaptized in the 70s iIRC.

PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #116 on: May 13, 2011, 05:43:14 PM »

Political reply moved to Politics.

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php?topic=36167.0
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 05:44:06 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #117 on: May 13, 2011, 07:44:19 PM »

I think I could live with a constitutional monarchy, even in my own country, but I have no idea how we'd pick who would be in the royal family. Should we just crown Bill Gates?  Grin  Tongue
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 07:44:43 PM by biro » Logged

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: