OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 22, 2014, 11:11:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Poll
Question: Are you watching the wedding of William Windsor and Catherine Middleton?
no, I couldn't care less - 20 (48.8%)
no, i'd like to but i need to sleep - 0 (0%)
yes, I wouldn't miss it - 10 (24.4%)
no, I'll just wait for the royal divorce - 1 (2.4%)
I'm not watching it live but I plan to watch it later in the day - 4 (9.8%)
yes but only because I think Kate is a knock out - 3 (7.3%)
Yes, because I think William is a dreamboat - 0 (0%)
Yes because I'm devoted to the monarchy - 3 (7.3%)
Total Voters: 41

Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Are you watching the wedding of William Windsor and Catherine Middleton?  (Read 4597 times) Average Rating: 0
bogdan
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #45 on: April 30, 2011, 01:59:29 PM »

I've been trying to convince my parents that orthodox Anglicans are doing a pretty decent job at the whole Christianity thing, but in their mind, Anglicanism means lesbian bishops and irreverent liturgy.

Well, so long as Canturbury maintains communion with lesbian bishops, it does mean that.

If the high-church Anglicans would cut off the sick branches from their vine, perhaps we could resume the unity talks that existed at the end of the 19th century. I'd be up for it; it was a beautiful ceremony.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #46 on: April 30, 2011, 02:01:28 PM »

If the high-church Anglicans would cut off the sick branches from their vine, perhaps we could resume the unity talks that existed at the end of the 19th century. I'd be up for it; it was a beautiful ceremony.

The talks were cut off long before there was a hint of the issues that most complain about today. To paraphrase St. Raphael of Brooklyn, the Anglicans--including the most traditional/conservative ones--simply have a different faith.

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
mabsoota
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #47 on: April 30, 2011, 02:06:00 PM »

there are a few becoming orthodox and a few trying to prevent the full destruction of the church as a Christian organisation.
there are even areas where people are turning to God genuinely and sincerely, but the leadership is plagued with too many people who never seriously believed it in the first place and just do the job for money.
that's what you get with a state religion...
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #48 on: April 30, 2011, 11:30:09 PM »

Christ is risen!
I just spotted an Orthodox Bishop amidst the crowd. I noticed he wasn't singing with everyone else...

Apparently it is/was Archbishop Gregorios of Thyateira.

I find it interesting that as "opposed" as they are supposed to be to the Roman Catholics, at how many Roman Catholic bishops were invited.

Also, there were a few points where I felt like vomiting because of the somewhat poor representation of marriage that they were giving (even the Anglican Bishops). At least it's a better representation than much of the world, but it's still weak.

How so?

They are Kings & Queens of their own marriage is one example. Sure, as Orthodox we do put crowns on the couple's heads, but that is because they are to become martyrs for one another and are dying for each other, not because they are "king & queen" of their marriage.
Actually, that is an aspect of the crowns that is expounded on (the king and queen of their family) in Orthodoxy.  I don't recall the exact wording, but there was plenty said about dyinig for each other.

One thing that was impressive was the service was the exact same that the lowliest commoner would have gotten.  Not as fancy, of course, but the same service.  As an institution of God (as was pointed out several times) and not the instrument of state.

There was also no mention of God's place in the marriage, that is, they treated it as if it was just him and her.

We must have been watching different services, as from the start there was plenty of talk about marriage as "the mystery showing the unity betwixt Christ and His Church."  When the Archbishop asked "who gives this woman to be given to his man" her father gave her hand to the archbishop, not the husband, and the archbishop gave it to Willaim.  The archbishop then wrapped their hands together with his pallium saying "What God has joined together, let no many tear asunder."  Quite Orthodox.

The treatement of marriage as a legal contract (both secular and religious) is also weak and theologically incorrect...
that's true, but given the misunderstanding of marriage in the West, they did damn good.
There were other things as well...
as?
But it was much better than many Protestant marriage services.
not sure that says all that much, but yes.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Robb
OC.net guru

Faith: RC
Jurisdiction: Italian Catholic

« Reply #49 on: May 01, 2011, 12:20:10 AM »

from a british perspective, i was pleased to be working.
the reason being is that british state-religion hybrid ceremonies leave me with cold feet and bad memories of school. this is partly because there are still a lot of old-fashioned people in the uk who pretend to believe in religion (Christianity or paganism) when they feel like it, and then deny it and worship darwin and karl marx when they feel like it. these people go to church 2 or 3 times a year, tell small but pious young children to shut up in church and to stop enjoying themselves, then they act like they are super special, but then have all sorts of romantic affairs and get regularly drunk watching football (ok, the football is optional).

There are people like that in every religion.  Is it really that different in yours?  Maybe it is since you Copts are a persecuted minority and have been so for centuries.  In order to belong to the Church in Muslim lands, I guess you really have believe in and be regularly practicing to do so.  However, in the Western world (Both Catholic, Orthodox, and Protestant countires) This is not the case and cultural religion is the order of the day and has been so for a long, long time.

Men may dislike truth, men may find truth offensive and inconvenient, men may persecute the truth, subvert it, try by law to suppress it. But to maintain that men have the final power over truth is blasphemy, and the last delusion. Truth lives forever, men do not.
-- Gustave Flaubert
sainthieu
Abstractor of the Quintessence
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #50 on: May 01, 2011, 01:18:27 AM »

I accidentally stumbled on to a bit of the wedding online and heard the most sublime piece of Christian choral music it has ever been my privilege to hear. I would go so far as to assert that it is one of the most beautiful pieces of music ever composed. Surely, the Holy Spirit is present in every note. It is transcendent and makes you want to throw yourself to the ground and beg God for forgiveness.

The event is priceless for no other reason than this.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 01:22:51 AM by sainthieu » Logged
mabsoota
Archon

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #51 on: May 01, 2011, 05:39:10 AM »

sorry, robb, the 'cultural' practice of Christianity was a big contributor to my childhood bruises, so i suppose i came across a bit bitter. i wasn't even in a minority group like 'house-church' or orthodox at the time, we went to a methodist church!
i will repent and pray for my enemies!
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #52 on: May 01, 2011, 07:19:55 AM »

LOL, I dunno if this is real or not, but this is a video of an Anglican Vicar doing a cartwheel after everyone was gone:
http://youtu.be/YxOKkQ8pYKQ
mabsoota
Archon

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #53 on: May 01, 2011, 07:54:00 AM »

no problem with that, as long as his theology is ok, nothing in the Bible or church fathers prohibiting cartwheels.
last week i was kicking a football around with my priest, so acrobatics ok with me  Smiley
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #54 on: May 01, 2011, 08:30:57 AM »

no problem with that, as long as his theology is ok, nothing in the Bible or church fathers prohibiting cartwheels.
last week i was kicking a football around with my priest, so acrobatics ok with me  Smiley

in the church?
mabsoota
Archon

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #55 on: May 01, 2011, 08:35:51 AM »

outside!
not in the sanctuary LOL, we are orthodox!
 Cheesy
edit:
i hadn't realised he did it in the church, i saw the tree and assumed it was outside.
they put a tree in the church....
 Huh
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 08:37:10 AM by mabsoota » Logged
Keble
All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
Archon

« Reply #56 on: May 01, 2011, 08:40:50 AM »

LOL, I dunno if this is real or not, but this is a video of an Anglican Vicar doing a cartwheel after everyone was gone:

Verger, not vicar: a sort of liturgical sheepdog.
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #57 on: May 01, 2011, 09:03:33 AM »

outside!
 Cheesy
edit:
i hadn't realised he did it in the church, i saw the tree and assumed it was outside.
 Huh
yes, Princess Catherine requested that trees be placed in the Church. Apparently the small town she is from is famous for it's forests and trees, and she grew up with a love of nature. (this according to BBC)
Veniamin
Fire for Effect!
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the South

St. Barbara, patroness of the Field Artillery

« Reply #58 on: May 01, 2011, 09:14:54 AM »

outside!
 Cheesy
edit:
 Huh
yes, Princess Catherine requested that trees be placed in the Church. Apparently the small town she is from is famous for it's forests and trees, and she grew up with a love of nature. (this according to BBC)

Properly speaking, she is not Princess Catherine.  Her title is Her Royal Highness the Duchess of Cambridge, but she is not styled as "Princess Catherine."

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl. ~Frederick the Great
Tikhon29605
High Elder

May I become Thy Tabernacle through Communion.

« Reply #59 on: May 01, 2011, 09:50:42 AM »

One thing I noted well about the ceremony is that the entire text of the Wedding Service was taken from the 1662 Book of Common Prayer and the wording was not modernized or updated one bit, nor was it 'translated' into more politically-correct English that the modernist reformers everywhere seem to force upon churches.  Yet I understood every single word of it, and found it beautiful and full of dignity and reverence.

I really like the traditional, liturgical English with the 'thees and thous' in it and think FAR MORE people understand it (and like it and enjoy it) than the current "language police" (whoever they may be) want to admit.

Long live traditional, liturgical, ecclesiastical English! Smiley
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #60 on: May 01, 2011, 10:05:44 AM »

actually it was the 1966 BAS. and "obey" was omitted.

Proverbs 22:7
genesisone
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #61 on: May 01, 2011, 03:53:24 PM »

Properly speaking, she is not Princess Catherine.  Her title is Her Royal Highness the Duchess of Cambridge, but she is not styled as "Princess Catherine."
Quite right. We had enough of "Princess Diana", who was quite properly the Lady Diana, Princess of Wales. However, I believe "Princess William" would also be correct, sort of a "Mrs. Prince William", though I doubt she will ever be formally referred to as such. In giving the couple the title of Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, I think the Queen has made her views known about how we should all refer to the newlyweds.

As a point of contrast, HRH the Duke of Edinburgh was created a Prince of the United Kingdom by the Queen in 1957 and as such is properly called "Prince Philip".
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #62 on: May 01, 2011, 05:08:23 PM »

Verger, not vicar: a sort of liturgical sheepdog.

Somerset Maugham's short story, "The Verger".

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
bergschlawiner

Sarisan

« Reply #63 on: May 06, 2011, 02:11:45 PM »

Just curious, what were those nuns dressed in grey who were seated adjacent to William and very close to the bridal couple during the exit march?
Keble
All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
Archon

« Reply #64 on: May 06, 2011, 02:52:41 PM »

Just curious, what were those nuns dressed in grey who were seated adjacent to William and very close to the bridal couple during the exit march?
They are Anglican nuns on the Westminster Abbey staff. I don't know why they were seated so prominently but there you are.
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #65 on: May 06, 2011, 05:51:41 PM »

One thing I noted well about the ceremony is that the entire text of the Wedding Service was taken from the 1662 Book of Common Prayer and the wording was not modernized or updated one bit, nor was it 'translated' into more politically-correct English that the modernist reformers everywhere seem to force upon churches.  Yet I understood every single word of it, and found it beautiful and full of dignity and reverence.

I really like the traditional, liturgical English with the 'thees and thous' in it and think FAR MORE people understand it (and like it and enjoy it) than the current "language police" (whoever they may be) want to admit.

Long live traditional, liturgical, ecclesiastical English! Smiley
IIRC, the 1662 prayer book was the last legally approved BCP by parliament. That's why the modern prayer books are styled as "books of alternative services."

Are you watching the wedding of William Windsor and Catherine Middleton?

That's His Royal Highness Prince William Arthur Philip Louis, Duke of Cambridge, Earl of Strathearn, Baron Carrickfergus, Royal Knight Companion of the Most Noble Order of the Garter, Master of Arts & Her Royal Highness Princess William Arthur Philip Louis, Duchess of Cambridge, Countess of Strathearn, Baroness Carrickfergus to you, please stop direspecting royalty.
For a moment I thought about changing "William Windsor" to Prince William of the House of Hanover-Saxe-Coburg-Gotha, but I defer.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 05:52:38 PM by Agabus » Logged

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: