OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 24, 2014, 01:25:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Does anybody else have a lot of spite towards the Royal Family & Wedding?  (Read 4131 times) Average Rating: 0
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #45 on: April 30, 2011, 06:24:00 PM »

God save the Queen!

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
celticfan1888
Production Operator - Chemtrusion
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholicism
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #46 on: April 30, 2011, 06:45:55 PM »

God save the Queen!

God Save Our Noble Queen!

Forgive my sins.
Agia Marina
Site Supporter
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA, Bulgarian Diocese

St. Marina of Antioch

« Reply #47 on: May 02, 2011, 03:08:13 AM »

I'm glad I live in a capitalist-esque society, where the rich don't make money off the work of the poor. Oh wait...  Cool
A poor person never offered me a job. Wink

“When I have a little money I buy books; and if any is left, I buy food and clothes.” - Erasmus

"God became man so that man might become a god." ~St. Athanasius the Great

Poster formerly known as EVOO.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

that is not the teaching of...

« Reply #48 on: May 02, 2011, 03:10:59 AM »

I'm glad I live in a capitalist-esque society, where the rich don't make money off the work of the poor. Oh wait...  Cool

Touche!
Agia Marina
Site Supporter
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA, Bulgarian Diocese

St. Marina of Antioch

« Reply #49 on: May 02, 2011, 03:15:31 AM »

I don't envy them or have spite toward them in the least.  All I can say is, God bless them and grant them many happy years together.

“When I have a little money I buy books; and if any is left, I buy food and clothes.” - Erasmus

"God became man so that man might become a god." ~St. Athanasius the Great

Poster formerly known as EVOO.
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #50 on: May 02, 2011, 03:39:12 AM »

To Thread Question: No.

God save the Queen!
!!!
God Save Our Noble Queen!
Never thought I would see a Celtic supporter write that.  Smiley
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 03:55:55 AM by Cognomen » Logged

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #51 on: May 02, 2011, 12:32:58 PM »

I'm one of the very few monarchist Celtic fans. Smiley
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 12:34:26 PM by celticfan1888 » Logged

Forgive my sins.
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #52 on: May 02, 2011, 12:40:07 PM »

Surprised?? Smiley

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #53 on: May 02, 2011, 12:43:43 PM »

Christ is risen!
Really? Several have offered me the job of supporting them.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #54 on: May 02, 2011, 05:57:24 PM »

You aren't exaggerating.  Smiley  Glad to make your acquaintance, from another club's support with a somewhat ambivalent (at best) relationship to the monarchy.

No, just lending my support through the liberal use of exclamation points!

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #55 on: May 02, 2011, 06:35:51 PM »

Surprised?? Smiley

Cheesy

celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #56 on: May 02, 2011, 06:59:37 PM »

You aren't exaggerating.  Smiley  Glad to make your acquaintance, from another club's support with a somewhat ambivalent (at best) relationship to the monarchy.

What club do you pull for mate?

Forgive my sins.
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #57 on: May 02, 2011, 07:05:56 PM »

The freshly relegated to League 1 Sheffield United.  Up the Blades!

Their support is very working class and 'Northern', so they retain a lot of ambivalence or animosity towards the monarchy, anything 'Thatcherite', or anything they perceive as being anti-mining in any shape or form (even if they have no direct connection with mines or the strikes).  It's been an experience to see my fellow supporters and friends put everything they have, passions, fortune, etc. into following a football club.

John of the North
Protokentarchos

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #58 on: May 02, 2011, 07:18:37 PM »

Their support is very working class and 'Northern', so they retain a lot of ambivalence or animosity towards the monarchy, anything 'Thatcherite', or anything they perceive as being anti-mining in any shape or form (even if they have no direct connection with mines or the strikes).  It's been an experience to see my fellow supporters and friends put everything they have, passions, fortune, etc. into following a football club.

Just when I thought we could be friends. Sheffield United?! For shame...

Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #59 on: May 02, 2011, 07:31:03 PM »

I knew the Leeds... umm, supporters would show their faces after my post.  You'll have to give us some tips on League 1 Wink

In seriousness, I'm assuming you've run into similarly hostile attitudes towards the monarchy amongst fellow Yorkshire folk.

Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #60 on: May 02, 2011, 07:39:21 PM »

All of their money from the past came off the hard working backs of the working man.  Their current investments came from that money.  They own so much of BP, Canada, and many other parts of the world (including much of the banking sector).

Then they go on TV and everybody's heart is throbbing because it's a princess/prince story.

LOL, it eeks my stomach out.  They are only flaunting money that they forced others to pay them at one time.  It's like a royal "food stamp" wedding, but they have fleeced the common man for his money & for food.

They feel like they are "entitled" because they give themselves "titles".

Do you have any spite of what they have done?
No, the apparent "frivolity" isn't really for the royals themselves, but the traditions and national pride of the people of the U.K.

You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.
celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #61 on: May 02, 2011, 07:43:55 PM »

I'm familiar with them, werent they in the EPL a few years back? My favorite clubs in england are EPL powerhouse Manchester United and League Two anklebiters Macclesfield Town.

Forgive my sins.
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #62 on: May 02, 2011, 08:06:57 PM »

I'm familiar with them, werent they in the EPL a few years back? My favorite clubs in england are EPL powerhouse Manchester United and League Two anklebiters Macclesfield Town.

Yeah, SUFC was in the EPL a few years ago.  They make it there from time to time.  The last time they were relegated was, in part, due to West Ham illegally playing Tevez and getting pts from those matches.
I have a bit of a soft spot for Macclesfield Town.  "We're the Lads from Macc... We wan't some crack!" [not illegal drugs]
As for SPL teams, I would probably lean towards Hearts.  Not that I particularly like them, but I've spent a lot more time in Edinburgh than Glasgow.

John of the North
Protokentarchos

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #63 on: May 02, 2011, 08:17:30 PM »

I knew the Leeds... umm, supporters would show their faces after my post.  You'll have to give us some tips on League 1 Wink

In seriousness, I'm assuming you've run into similarly hostile attitudes towards the monarchy amongst fellow Yorkshire folk.

I'm a glory hunter from the days when we played Valencia, I've never actually been to Yorkshire--though I dream of living there. But yes, the Leeds mailing list seems to have picked up a rather anti-monarchy bent over the last week, with a vocal pro-royalist minority. Of course, I tell myself it has less to do with Thatcher and more to do with 1069-70.

Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #64 on: May 02, 2011, 08:32:53 PM »

I'm a glory hunter from the days when we played Valencia, I've never actually been to Yorkshire--though I dream of living there. But yes, the Leeds mailing list seems to have picked up a rather anti-monarchy bent over the last week, with a vocal pro-royalist minority.
I think you can safely be acquitted of being a glory hunter if you suffered through their recent troubles.  Not a lot of recent Europe appearances for my lads, unless you count Malta friendlies  Grin.
At least you have a vocal pro-royalist minority.  We have a semi-vocal "we don't hate the monarchy and don't believe the national anthem should be immediately changed" minority.

Of course, I tell myself it has less to do with Thatcher and more to do with 1069-70.

I love it!  I'll tell myself that as well.  After all, the historical and political knowledge of your average Yorkshire area football supporter is really impressive  Wink.  Most seem to believe that the 'Winter of Discontent' in 78-79 was actually caused by Thatcher.
[Not attempting to make a political point.  P.M. Thatcher gained office after that period.  This type of ignorance, in my opinion, contributes to some of the anti-monarchist feelings among certain populations within the UK].

celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #65 on: May 02, 2011, 09:13:30 PM »

Yeah, SUFC was in the EPL a few years ago.  They make it there from time to time.  The last time they were relegated was, in part, due to West Ham illegally playing Tevez and getting pts from those matches.
I have a bit of a soft spot for Macclesfield Town.  "We're the Lads from Macc... We wan't some crack!" [not illegal drugs]
As for SPL teams, I would probably lean towards Hearts.  Not that I particularly like them, but I've spent a lot more time in Edinburgh than Glasgow.

I remimber the Tevez ordeal, did SUFC ever get money from West Ham?

Hearts is a good team, probably the only team in the SPL who could ever challenge the Old Firm to be honest.

Forgive my sins.
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #66 on: May 02, 2011, 09:23:22 PM »

In related news, as we have brought footie into the mix: http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/30042011/58/spl-rangers-baffled-royal-tribute.html

"Rangers could face FIFA action over a Royal Wedding tribute printed on the shirt of captain David Weir.

The defender wore a shirt paying tribute to Prince William and the Duchess of Cambridge during Saturday's 5-0 win away to Motherwell in the Scottish Premier League."

yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #67 on: May 05, 2011, 04:00:22 PM »

It is interesting how the monarch print and use their own money, and FORCE the people to exchange the labor for their own money.  Then use the bible to render back the money.... You know... The Money, which is paper and created out of thin air.

Bible when it works in their favor, and their banks, charge interest which Christians should not.

It's a Royal scheme, and their dirty money roots are all part of it.   That's why I spite them.

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #68 on: May 05, 2011, 04:20:52 PM »

Christ is risen!
It is interesting how the monarch print and use their own money, and FORCE the people to exchange the labor for their own money.  Then use the bible to render back the money.... You know... The Money, which is paper and created out of thin air.
Congress does the same thing. Get over it.

Bible when it works in their favor, and their banks, charge interest which Christians should not.
Ever heard of the Federal Reserve Board?

It's a Royal scheme, and their dirty money roots are all part of it.   That's why I spite them.
Then you are just being silly.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #69 on: May 05, 2011, 05:49:04 PM »

All of their money from the past came off the hard working backs of the working man.  Their current investments came from that money.  They own so much of BP, Canada, and many other parts of the world (including much of the banking sector).

Then they go on TV and everybody's heart is throbbing because it's a princess/prince story.

LOL, it eeks my stomach out.  They are only flaunting money that they forced others to pay them at one time.  It's like a royal "food stamp" wedding, but they have fleeced the common man for his money & for food.

They feel like they are "entitled" because they give themselves "titles".

Do you have any spite of what they have done?

No. IMO, the sad state of the British monarchy is mostly the fault of the Parliament, who insist on keeping them around, but over the past several hundred years have gradually degraded them to the point where they essentially have no power. If the monarchy had been allowed to retain the power they had 300 years ago, then their wealth would still probably be worthwhile.

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #70 on: May 06, 2011, 02:20:13 AM »

Never thought much about the English Monarchy be it,Negatively/Positively....When the media Mentions them,Or this Forum ,That's about it .....And Life Goes on...... police
« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 02:23:39 AM by stashko » Logged

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #71 on: May 06, 2011, 02:37:39 AM »

I remimber the Tevez ordeal, did SUFC ever get money from West Ham?
Yeah, something around £25mil, which we clearly used well.   Angry

Now back on topic:
IMO, the sad state of the British monarchy is mostly the fault of the Parliament, who insist on keeping them around, but over the past several hundred years have gradually degraded them to the point where they essentially have no power. If the monarchy had been allowed to retain the power they had 300 years ago, then their wealth would still probably be worthwhile.

Completely agreed.  I can't remember the specific nobleman, it was a Duke (not helpful), but he was recently fuming over the plans to remove all hereditary positions from the House of Lords.  This wasn't due to, as we might incorrectly suspect, wanting that power and privilege.  Instead, it was because he viewed it as his duty to serve responsibly as part of that body.  He pretty much stated that the monarchy, without any real responsibilities, investment, and involvement in the nation's affairs was pointless.  I believe he went so far as to say, calmly and earnestly, that if he was ever removed from that duty, he would give up his land and title.

Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: