OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 24, 2014, 09:31:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Romanian outfit of Metropolitan Jonah  (Read 2624 times) Average Rating: 0
mike
Stratopedarches

« on: April 28, 2011, 04:50:16 PM »

For Bright Week only, Paschal period, all the time since now?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Robb
OC.net guru

Faith: RC
Jurisdiction: Italian Catholic

« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2011, 05:21:06 PM »

Why do the Romanians have their Patriarch wear all white?  Is this solely a Romanian thing?

Men may dislike truth, men may find truth offensive and inconvenient, men may persecute the truth, subvert it, try by law to suppress it. But to maintain that men have the final power over truth is blasphemy, and the last delusion. Truth lives forever, men do not.
-- Gustave Flaubert
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2011, 05:23:10 PM »

I have never heard of another one Bishop but the Romanian Patriarch (and, as we can see, Metropolitan Jonah) that wears white ryasa.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 05:23:55 PM by Michał Kalina » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
LakaYaRabb

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2011, 07:11:20 PM »

Huh
I actually do not know why more don't white (or even other colors). I know that some priests, bishops and abbots wear white.
Here is a picture of His Eminence the Most Reverend Metropolitan Leonty in white http://orthodoxwiki.org/Leonty_(Turkevich)_of_New_York
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2011, 03:50:57 AM »

White Gets Dirty Easy and it shows and sticks out  ,maybe that's the reason many don't wear white.... Grin

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2011, 03:56:47 AM »

Every Priest (and Bishop) is supposed to switch to white from Pascha until Pentecost. Officially the vestment change is made on Holy Saturday morning. After Pentecost it goes back to normal.
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2011, 04:13:53 AM »

Every Priest (and Bishop) is supposed to switch to white from Pascha until Pentecost. Officially the vestment change is made on Holy Saturday morning. After Pentecost it goes back to normal.
Supposed?!? Roll Eyes
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2011, 06:29:09 AM »

Supposed?!? Roll Eyes

Not all Priests have white vestments... Wink
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2011, 11:57:46 AM »

I know no one that has a white cassock.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Pravoslavbob
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholic

St. Sisoes the Great

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2011, 12:31:36 PM »

Yes, but it is not liturgical vestments that are under discussion here, but rather clerical street garb, specifically Metropolitan Jonah`s.

Religion is a disease, and Orthodoxy is its cure.
podkarpatska
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2011, 01:03:34 PM »

One of the Ukrainian Orthodox priests here in the past used to wear one. It did get dirty fast...
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2011, 01:10:26 PM »

Yes, but it is not liturgical vestments that are under discussion here, but rather clerical street garb, specifically Metropolitan Jonah`s.

Light-colored, especially white, exorasa fell out of general use about 200 years ago. I've read, although not seen it confirmed, that the Turks used to force Orthodox priests to wear white instead of black. That way the Muslim clerics would look crisp in their black robes and the Christians would look dirty.

Anyway, the Slavs adopted the practice of wearing white, and, true to form, the Russians in particular turned it into a very stratified system that corresponded to the clerical caste structure. You could tell a clergyman's rank and office by the color and marking on his podriasnik and riassa. Different color combinations, including different types of lining on each, meant different things.

This produced the famous distinction between "black" (i.e. monastic) and "white" (i.e. parish) clergy, which persisted in the Russian tradition until fairly recently, and included other distinctive markers (e.g. "white" clergy wore goatees, not beards). Fr Schmemann used to wear a white cassock and, in general, comported himself like a white clergyman should according to the pre-Revolutionary standards.

Metropolitan Jonah's riassa, however, looks to be of very inferior quality. Not at all as dignified as those worn by the Patriarch of Romania.

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2011, 01:42:29 PM »

I didn't realize it was a riassa/cassock, I figured it was just Liturgical vestments (I didn't look at the photo that closely).

Still, maybe he has decided to do so just until Pentecost?

I have also seen grey Riassas...
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 01:47:00 PM by 88Devin12 » Logged
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2011, 01:57:24 PM »

I have also seen grey Riassas...

I've seen tan ones in the Middle East and in Africa. In Greece, especially various islands, it is not uncommon to wear blue. And, yes, gray pops up here and there.

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
podkarpatska
Merarches

Pokrov

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2011, 09:53:03 AM »

Light-colored, especially white, exorasa fell out of general use about 200 years ago. I've read, although not seen it confirmed, that the Turks used to force Orthodox priests to wear white instead of black. That way the Muslim clerics would look crisp in their black robes and the Christians would look dirty.

Anyway, the Slavs adopted the practice of wearing white, and, true to form, the Russians in particular turned it into a very stratified system that corresponded to the clerical caste structure. You could tell a clergyman's rank and office by the color and marking on his podriasnik and riassa. Different color combinations, including different types of lining on each, meant different things.

This produced the famous distinction between "black" (i.e. monastic) and "white" (i.e. parish) clergy, which persisted in the Russian tradition until fairly recently, and included other distinctive markers (e.g. "white" clergy wore goatees, not beards). Fr Schmemann used to wear a white cassock and, in general, comported himself like a white clergyman should according to the pre-Revolutionary standards.

Metropolitan Jonah's riassa, however, looks to be of very inferior quality. Not at all as dignified as those worn by the Patriarch of Romania.

I wonder if the Russians of 200 years or so ago were impressed by the use of colors for clerical ranking in the Roman Church?
podkarpatska
Merarches

Pokrov

« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2011, 09:53:40 AM »

Supposed?!? Roll Eyes

I don't think so.......
mildert
Deacon Philip

Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Russian Orthodox Churches in Western Europe - Exarchate of the Ecumenical Patriarchate

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2011, 10:09:57 AM »

I have never heard of another one Bishop but the Romanian Patriarch (and, as we can see, Metropolitan Jonah) that wears white ryasa.

I believe that before the revolution, ryassas used to be in different colours, however since then they almost always (with this exception) black.  Podrazniks (the under cassock) are still commonly available in other colours.

In XC,

Deacon Philip

In XC,

Deacon Philip
bogdan
OC.net guru

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2011, 10:54:27 AM »

I know a priest who wears a white cassock on Pascha (and only on Pascha). It's rather striking in combination with the white vestments.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 10:54:42 AM by bogdan » Logged
Monk Vasyl
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: UOC of USA

Monk Vasyl
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2011, 11:25:11 AM »

Fr. Danylevich, the son of the founding priest of our parish (St. Andrew UOCofUSA), can be seen in this photo wearing white with a mother of pearl cross:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=199334943438483&set=a.199334003438577.46566.105632889475356&type=1&theater

The unworthy hierodeacon, Vasyl
Marc1152
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2011, 11:29:07 AM »

At my Church we are all in White now, Priest, Deacon. Readers and alter servers. We changed mid service on Holy Saturday.. It was pretty cool. The White Vestments are very beautiful IMHO

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
Orual
Orthodoxy = 7, not 3
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Sunday Morning Costume Parade

I'm just here for the food.

« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2011, 11:46:54 AM »

For Bright Week only, Paschal period, all the time since now?

Sometimes clergy have a white cassock, and possibly a white riassa too, for Bright Week.  Some wear it until Ascension or Pentecost.  I know Fr. Alexander Schmemann was fond of wearing a white cassock at other times of the year, too.

I like the picture.  Metropolitan Jonah looks very nice.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 11:47:34 AM by Orual » Logged

He spoke it as kindly and heartily as could be; as if a man dashed a gallon of cold water in your broth and never doubted you'd like it all the better. 

- C.S. Lewis, Till We Have Faces
f.k.a. Matron.a
Chtets Ioann

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: ROCOR - Diocese of Canada

« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2011, 12:08:55 AM »

Fr. Danylevich, the son of the founding priest of our parish (St. Andrew UOCofUSA), can be seen in this photo wearing white with a mother of pearl cross:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=199334943438483&set=a.199334003438577.46566.105632889475356&type=1&theater

The Cross he's wearing... those are the gift Crosses the Patriarch of Jerusalem gives to visiting Orthodox clergy.
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2011, 12:37:06 AM »

The Cross he's wearing... those are the gift Crosses the Patriarch of Jerusalem gives to visiting Orthodox clergy.

You can also buy them for about $10 USD in any of the Christian stores in Jerusalem.

Joseph
Nigula Qian Zishi
Administrator Emeritus, Retired Deacon, Inactive Poster, Active Orthodox Christian, Father, and Husband
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

我美丽的妻子和我。

nstanosheck
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2011, 04:20:01 AM »

Many Ukrainian and Russian Orthodox clergy wear white cassocks during bright week and the Sundays of the Paschal season.

在基督         My Original Blog
尼古拉         My Facebook Profile
前执事         My Twitter Page
PrincessMommy
High Elder

OCA

« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2011, 06:31:50 AM »

I know a priest who does.  It looks quite nice during the Paschal season.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: