Author Topic: Romanian outfit of Metropolitan Jonah  (Read 3068 times)

Offline mike

• The Jerk
  • Stratopedarches
  • Scarecrow is watching you
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Makurian Orthodox
Romanian outfit of Metropolitan Jonah
« on: April 28, 2011, 04:50:16 PM »

For Bright Week only, Paschal period, all the time since now?

Offline Robb

• OC.net guru
Re: Romanian outfit of Metropolitan Jonah
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2011, 05:21:06 PM »
Why do the Romanians have their Patriarch wear all white?  Is this solely a Romanian thing?
Men may dislike truth, men may find truth offensive and inconvenient, men may persecute the truth, subvert it, try by law to suppress it. But to maintain that men have the final power over truth is blasphemy, and the last delusion. Truth lives forever, men do not.
-- Gustave Flaubert

Offline mike

• The Jerk
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2011, 05:23:10 PM »
I have never heard of another one Bishop but the Romanian Patriarch (and, as we can see, Metropolitan Jonah) that wears white ryasa.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 05:23:55 PM by Michał Kalina »

Offline LakaYaRabb

• Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2011, 07:11:20 PM »
 ???
I actually do not know why more don't white (or even other colors). I know that some priests, bishops and abbots wear white.
Here is a picture of His Eminence the Most Reverend Metropolitan Leonty in white http://orthodoxwiki.org/Leonty_(Turkevich)_of_New_York

Offline stashko

• Protokentarchos
  • Wonderworking Sitka Icon
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2011, 03:50:57 AM »
White Gets Dirty Easy and it shows and sticks out  ,maybe that's the reason many don't wear white.... ;D
ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.

Offline 88Devin12

• Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2011, 03:56:47 AM »
Every Priest (and Bishop) is supposed to switch to white from Pascha until Pentecost. Officially the vestment change is made on Holy Saturday morning. After Pentecost it goes back to normal.

Offline augustin717

• Taxiarches
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2011, 04:13:53 AM »
Every Priest (and Bishop) is supposed to switch to white from Pascha until Pentecost. Officially the vestment change is made on Holy Saturday morning. After Pentecost it goes back to normal.
Supposed?!? ::)

Offline 88Devin12

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2011, 06:29:09 AM »

Not all Priests have white vestments... ;)

Offline mike

• The Jerk
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2011, 11:57:46 AM »
I know no one that has a white cassock.

Offline Pravoslavbob

• Section Moderator
  • Archon
  • Distressed about my country
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2011, 12:31:36 PM »

Yes, but it is not liturgical vestments that are under discussion here, but rather clerical street garb, specifically Metropolitan Jonah`s.
Religion is a disease, and Orthodoxy is its cure.

Offline podkarpatska

• Merarches
  • Pokrov
    • ACROD (home)
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2011, 01:03:34 PM »

One of the Ukrainian Orthodox priests here in the past used to wear one. It did get dirty fast...

Offline pensateomnia

• Bibliophylax
  • Archon
  • metron ariston
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2011, 01:10:26 PM »

Yes, but it is not liturgical vestments that are under discussion here, but rather clerical street garb, specifically Metropolitan Jonah`s.

Light-colored, especially white, exorasa fell out of general use about 200 years ago. I've read, although not seen it confirmed, that the Turks used to force Orthodox priests to wear white instead of black. That way the Muslim clerics would look crisp in their black robes and the Christians would look dirty.

Anyway, the Slavs adopted the practice of wearing white, and, true to form, the Russians in particular turned it into a very stratified system that corresponded to the clerical caste structure. You could tell a clergyman's rank and office by the color and marking on his podriasnik and riassa. Different color combinations, including different types of lining on each, meant different things.

This produced the famous distinction between "black" (i.e. monastic) and "white" (i.e. parish) clergy, which persisted in the Russian tradition until fairly recently, and included other distinctive markers (e.g. "white" clergy wore goatees, not beards). Fr Schmemann used to wear a white cassock and, in general, comported himself like a white clergyman should according to the pre-Revolutionary standards.

Metropolitan Jonah's riassa, however, looks to be of very inferior quality. Not at all as dignified as those worn by the Patriarch of Romania.
But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)

Offline 88Devin12

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2011, 01:42:29 PM »
I didn't realize it was a riassa/cassock, I figured it was just Liturgical vestments (I didn't look at the photo that closely).

Still, maybe he has decided to do so just until Pentecost?

I have also seen grey Riassas...
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 01:47:00 PM by 88Devin12 »

Offline pensateomnia

• Bibliophylax
  • Archon
  • metron ariston
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2011, 01:57:24 PM »

I have also seen grey Riassas...

I've seen tan ones in the Middle East and in Africa. In Greece, especially various islands, it is not uncommon to wear blue. And, yes, gray pops up here and there.
But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)

Offline podkarpatska

• Merarches
  • Pokrov
    • ACROD (home)
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2011, 09:53:03 AM »

Light-colored, especially white, exorasa fell out of general use about 200 years ago. I've read, although not seen it confirmed, that the Turks used to force Orthodox priests to wear white instead of black. That way the Muslim clerics would look crisp in their black robes and the Christians would look dirty.

Anyway, the Slavs adopted the practice of wearing white, and, true to form, the Russians in particular turned it into a very stratified system that corresponded to the clerical caste structure. You could tell a clergyman's rank and office by the color and marking on his podriasnik and riassa. Different color combinations, including different types of lining on each, meant different things.

This produced the famous distinction between "black" (i.e. monastic) and "white" (i.e. parish) clergy, which persisted in the Russian tradition until fairly recently, and included other distinctive markers (e.g. "white" clergy wore goatees, not beards). Fr Schmemann used to wear a white cassock and, in general, comported himself like a white clergyman should according to the pre-Revolutionary standards.

Metropolitan Jonah's riassa, however, looks to be of very inferior quality. Not at all as dignified as those worn by the Patriarch of Romania.

I wonder if the Russians of 200 years or so ago were impressed by the use of colors for clerical ranking in the Roman Church?

Offline podkarpatska

• Merarches
  • Pokrov
    • ACROD (home)
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2011, 09:53:40 AM »

I don't think so.......

Offline mildert

• Deacon Philip
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2011, 10:09:57 AM »
I have never heard of another one Bishop but the Romanian Patriarch (and, as we can see, Metropolitan Jonah) that wears white ryasa.

I believe that before the revolution, ryassas used to be in different colours, however since then they almost always (with this exception) black.  Podrazniks (the under cassock) are still commonly available in other colours.

In XC,

Deacon Philip
In XC,

Deacon Philip

Offline bogdan

• OC.net guru
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2011, 10:54:27 AM »
I know a priest who wears a white cassock on Pascha (and only on Pascha). It's rather striking in combination with the white vestments.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 10:54:42 AM by bogdan »

Offline Monk Vasyl

• High Elder
    • Web site of our parish, St. Andrew UOCof USA
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2011, 11:25:11 AM »
Fr. Danylevich, the son of the founding priest of our parish (St. Andrew UOCofUSA), can be seen in this photo wearing white with a mother of pearl cross:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=199334943438483&set=a.199334003438577.46566.105632889475356&type=1&theater
The unworthy hierodeacon, Vasyl

Offline Marc1152

• Toumarches
  • Probiotic .. Antibiotic
  • Jurisdiction: Rocor
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2011, 11:29:07 AM »

At my Church we are all in White now, Priest, Deacon. Readers and alter servers. We changed mid service on Holy Saturday.. It was pretty cool. The White Vestments are very beautiful IMHO
Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm

Offline Orual

• Orthodoxy = 7, not 3
  • High Elder
  • I'm just here for the food.
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2011, 11:46:54 AM »
For Bright Week only, Paschal period, all the time since now?

Sometimes clergy have a white cassock, and possibly a white riassa too, for Bright Week.  Some wear it until Ascension or Pentecost.  I know Fr. Alexander Schmemann was fond of wearing a white cassock at other times of the year, too.

I like the picture.  Metropolitan Jonah looks very nice.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 11:47:34 AM by Orual »
He spoke it as kindly and heartily as could be; as if a man dashed a gallon of cold water in your broth and never doubted you'd like it all the better. 

- C.S. Lewis, Till We Have Faces
f.k.a. Matron.a

Offline Chtets Ioann

« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2011, 12:08:55 AM »
Fr. Danylevich, the son of the founding priest of our parish (St. Andrew UOCofUSA), can be seen in this photo wearing white with a mother of pearl cross:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=199334943438483&set=a.199334003438577.46566.105632889475356&type=1&theater

The Cross he's wearing... those are the gift Crosses the Patriarch of Jerusalem gives to visiting Orthodox clergy.

Offline arimethea

• Getting too old for this
  • Archon
  • Does anyone really care what you think?
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2011, 12:37:06 AM »

The Cross he's wearing... those are the gift Crosses the Patriarch of Jerusalem gives to visiting Orthodox clergy.

You can also buy them for about $10 USD in any of the Christian stores in Jerusalem.
Joseph

Offline Nigula Qian Zishi

• Administrator Emeritus, Retired Deacon, Inactive Poster, Active Orthodox Christian, Father, and Husband
  • OC.net guru
  • 我美丽的妻子和我。
    • Orthodox Ecclesiology and The World
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Denver
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2011, 04:20:01 AM »
Many Ukrainian and Russian Orthodox clergy wear white cassocks during bright week and the Sundays of the Paschal season.
在基督
尼古拉
前执事
的博客

Offline PrincessMommy

• High Elder
  • OCA
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2011, 06:31:50 AM »

I know a priest who does.  It looks quite nice during the Paschal season.