OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 31, 2014, 01:48:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Primacy of Honor"  (Read 2128 times) Average Rating: 0
dcointin

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« on: April 27, 2011, 06:00:09 PM »

I frequently read from Orthodox authors that they believe the See of Rome to have had a "primacy of honor", but not supremacy or universal jurisdiction.  I would like to know what is meant by the phrase "primacy of honor" in everyone's understanding.  God bless,

Don
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 06:00:29 PM by dcointin » Logged
ignatius
Baptacathadox
OC.net guru

Faith: Roman Catholic > Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

My Son Aidan... :-)

« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 06:02:31 PM »

I frequently read from Orthodox authors that they believe the See of Rome to have had a "primacy of honor", but not supremacy or universal jurisdiction.  I would like to know what is meant by the phrase "primacy of honor" in everyone's understanding.  God bless,

Don

He gets the first cup of tea at any Council... ;-)

St Basil the Great (330-379 A.D.): “I think then that the one goal of all who are really and truly serving the Lord ought to be to bring back to union the churches who have at different times and in diverse manners divided from one another.”
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 06:12:31 PM »

The Orthodox Understanding of Primacy and Catholicity

Metropolitan Hilarion (Alfeyev)

http://preachersinstitute.com/2011/02/07/the-orthodox-understanding-of-primacy-and-catholicity/
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 06:22:18 PM »

Don

I don't think it's that simple. The Church appears to have often granted certain prerogatives to certain of the highest ranking Bishops beyond simple ranking of honor. This seems to have happened the most with Rome. It was certainly short of recognizing him as inherently infallible or supreme or even practically supreme, but it was more concrete than simply honor.

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
dcointin

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 07:27:46 PM »

http://preachersinstitute.com/2011/02/07/the-orthodox-understanding-of-primacy-and-catholicity/

Metropolitan Hilarion in the article which you linked claims that "primacy of honor" does not accord any jurisdictional power:

"Among the primates of the Local Orthodox Churches the Patriarch of Constantinople is recognized as the ‘first among equals,’ who has borne the title ‘Ecumenical’ since Byzantine times. However, neither this title nor the pre-eminence of honour accorded to him give the Patriarch of Constantinople any jurisdictional rights outside the boundaries of his own patriarchate."

This view contradicts another article I read by Lewis Pastavos on the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America website which claims that it does indeed carry jurisdictional power, and devotes a lengthy essay to proving the point.  He writes:

"The position of honor accorded the Bishop of Constantinople brought with it genuine authority (exousia). This is made evident by several factors including: appeals from other churches; the importance of the Resident Synod (Endemousa Synodos); the authority exercised by several renowned patriarchs such as Saint John Chrysostom, who involved themselves with matters beyond the territorial limits of the Church of Constantinople (such as evangelizing the Goths and Scythians among others, and reforming the independent dioceses of Pontos, Asia, and Thrace).

http://www.goarch.org/ourfaith/primacy-constantinople

It goes without saying that neither conceive of the “primacy of honor” as absolute supreme jurisdiction, but Mr. Pastavos makes a strong case that it is certainly more than purely honorary in the sense in which we use the term.  It’s not, for example, simply that he acts as the chief celebrant during pan-Orthodox Divine Liturgies.  It seems to me that we Orthodox have perhaps reacted too strongly to Papal claims and reinterpreted our own history to downplay the jurisdictional authority which the primatial sees did in fact enjoy.  I admit though that I am no expert in these matters, so I’d be interested in hearing arguments for or against this claim on the basis of historical evidence.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 07:28:34 PM by dcointin » Logged
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2011, 07:36:02 PM »

Don
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primus_inter_pares#Eastern_Orthodox_Church

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
ICXCNIKA
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2011, 07:42:55 PM »

If I recall correctly St John was not a Patriarch.
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2011, 07:44:49 PM »

/\ /\ /\   My position would submit to the teaching of Saint Justin Popovic

"At the same time, the other, historically later and variable forms of
church organization of the Orthodox Church: the metropolias, archdioceses,
patriarchates, pentarchies, autocephalies, autonomies, etc., however many
there may be or shall be, cannot have and do not have a determining and
decisive significance in the conciliar system of the Orthodox Church."

Extract from message 50 at
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,31294.msg494323.html#msg494323

It seems to me that the historical circumstances which saw a primacy of honour descend upon the Church of Constantinople after Rome's departure are no longer relevant.  In other words, if we wish to maintain this concept of primacy of honour it should now devolve to a more appropriate Local Church.  That is not really necessary though,  the fundamental operating system of the Church is conciliar and "primacy of honour" is a non-essential.  IMHO.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 08:08:40 PM by Irish Hermit » Logged
ICXCNIKA
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2011, 07:47:20 PM »

^
Agreed.
LakaYaRabb

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2011, 07:56:12 PM »

Father Bless!

This was a great article. Thank you.
Marc1152
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2011, 08:34:45 PM »

Don

Introduced first. First to sign a document, good seating... Also, he acted like a referee sometimes during a dispute.

But he had no actual power or rulership over the other Jurisdictions. Rome didnt even dare suggest such a thing until the 4th century or so and then ever so gradually.

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2011, 09:41:45 AM »

Greek Bishops and theologians reject any notion of petrine primacy for the Church

“Primacy,” Synodicality and Unity of the Church, Athens, 28 April 2010

http://theorthodoxchurch.info/blog/news/2010/05/primacy-synodicality-and-unity-of-the-church/

Also

1) The Sacred Community of the Holy Mountain has stated its official position regarding the Convention of the Joint Commission for the Dialogue between the Orthodox and the Roman Catholics, which is to take place in Cyprus.

http://www.oodegr.com/english/papismos/holy_mountain_on_primacy.htm

2) On the recognition of universal primacy for the Pope of Rome during the first millennium,  by Archmandrite George, Abbot of the Sacred Monastery of St. Gregory of the Holy Mountain

http://www.oodegr.com/english/papismos/universal_primacy.htm
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2011, 10:59:52 AM »

Don
It basically means primacy of nothing. Wink

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2011, 12:00:37 PM »

Christus resurrexit!

Don
jUdging from all the excuses we get from ya'll on how your supreme pontiffs handle (or don't) the pedophile scandal, the liturgical abuses, dissidents, the suppression of your Easterns traditions, I guess so..

Ultramontanists always have this equation in the back of their mind primacy=dictatorship.

For the OP, it's like the primacy of the speaker of the US house, or the Prime Minister in a parliamentary system.

An aspect of that I saw yesterday: watching the Borgias, the cardinals, knowing how Pope Alexander had bought the office, try to find a way to annull his election and get rid of him.  So, of course, being good legalists, they consult the canon expert, who says that a pope can be removed from office for notorious and public fornication (supposedly not technically a violation of the vow of chastity, as that only applies to clerics who soil themselves by marryinig the woman, but I digress).  Interesting (given the position in the Corban factories for the time frame to examin a marriage for annullment is only at the time of marriage) they don't look at the mistress he was openly living with when he was elected, but an affair he started afterwards.  Anyways, I don't thnk that such a canon was on the books (but I can be wrong on that) but it isn't on it now.  Fact is, there is no way to remove the sovereign of the Vatican.  None.  As Pastor Aeternus teaches, he is judged by no one.  So, unlike a Speaker or a Prime Minister (or an Orthodox Patriarch) there is no way to remove one once in office when he abuses the office.  By definition, the pope cannot be a heretic, according to the Ultramontanists, because he cannot be removed.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 12:02:56 PM by ialmisry » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2011, 06:57:08 PM »

Don

Some definitions of primacy:

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/primacy

"The state of being first or foremost." American Heritage Dictionary

"the state of being first in rank, grade, etc." Collins English Dictionary

It would appear that you have simply developed a contorted understanding of what primacy means simply for the polemical purposes of denying the Orthodox primacy as truly primacy. But as the definitions indicate, it primarily being a matter of being first in rank, it's quite clear that the Orthodox primacy truly qualifies the word primacy.

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
WetCatechumen
Roman Catholic
Elder

Faith: Catholic Christianity
Jurisdiction: Latin Rite - Archdiocese of Santa Fe; Ruthenian Byzantine Catholic Eparchy of Phoenix

« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2011, 12:34:35 AM »

Wait,

So you guys don't agree exactly upon what this means?

Surprising.

"And because they have nothing better to do, they take cushion and chairs to Rome. And while the Pope is saying liturgy, they go, 'Oh, oh, oh, filioque!' And the Pope say, 'Filioque? That-uh sound nice! I think I divide-uh the Church over it!'" - Comrade Real Presence
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2011, 12:37:24 AM »

Wait,

Surprising.

What do you mean?

ialmisry
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2011, 12:39:46 AM »

Christus resurrexit!
Wait,

Surprising.
What is really suprising you guys, after Pastor Aeternus, can't publically agree on exactly what it means.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
WetCatechumen
Roman Catholic
Elder

Faith: Catholic Christianity
Jurisdiction: Latin Rite - Archdiocese of Santa Fe; Ruthenian Byzantine Catholic Eparchy of Phoenix

« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2011, 02:56:10 AM »

It's a Marbury vs. Madison thing. Plain and simple.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/supreme-court-rules-supreme-court-rules,998/

"And because they have nothing better to do, they take cushion and chairs to Rome. And while the Pope is saying liturgy, they go, 'Oh, oh, oh, filioque!' And the Pope say, 'Filioque? That-uh sound nice! I think I divide-uh the Church over it!'" - Comrade Real Presence
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2011, 03:04:50 PM »

Wait,

Surprising.

What do you mean?

Care to explain? Otherwise you're just playing games.

ialmisry
Hypatos

« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2011, 03:17:53 PM »

Christus resurrexit!
You mean an institution arrogates to itself powers not granted to it by its constituion. Gotchya.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 03:23:15 PM by ialmisry » Logged

yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2011, 11:54:42 PM »

I've always heard it said "First among equals".

So he may get the cookies first, but they all get cookies in the same amount and flavor.

Although there are many pre great schism prayers that talked about "all" the apostles receiving the keys to heaven.

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2011, 12:21:13 AM »

Although there are many pre great schism prayers that talked about "all" the apostles receiving the keys to heaven.

They did. If we can't even say that the keys were given to the Apostles as their collective possession with Peter being the one leader responsible for holding them, but rather that they were the particular possession of Peter, it would appear that Petrine supremacy would have to be true.

Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2011, 12:40:18 AM »

They did. If we can't even say that the keys were given to the Apostles as their collective possession with Peter being the one leader responsible for holding them, but rather that they were the particular possession of Peter, it would appear that Petrine supremacy would have to be true.

What were the powers of the Keys as understood in the West in earlier days?

See message 213 at

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,29681.msg470186.html#msg470186

Be prepared to be surprised..... very surprised!
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 12:40:56 AM by Irish Hermit » Logged
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: