Author Topic: Advice Regarding Family and Friends  (Read 754 times)

Offline ignatius

• Baptacathadox
  • OC.net guru
  • My Son Aidan... :-)
Advice Regarding Family and Friends
« on: April 27, 2011, 04:08:26 PM »
Grace and Peace,

Okay. It appears that I am getting closer to entering into Holy Orthodoxy by entering into the Catechumenate. Unfortunately, I am doing this alone. My wife and my two children aren't coming with me at this time.

As a Roman Catholic and a devoted father this is and has been a very painful and troubling part of my conversion. Should I break any attendance with my Roman Catholic Parish and essentially be separated from my family on Sundays or should I mix our attendance?
St Basil the Great (330-379 A.D.): “I think then that the one goal of all who are really and truly serving the Lord ought to be to bring back to union the churches who have at different times and in diverse manners divided from one another.”

Offline William

• Protokentarchos
Re: Advice Regarding Family and Friends
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 05:15:48 PM »
Why don't you ask your Orthodox priest?
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 05:19:23 PM by William »
Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant

Offline Benjamin the Red

• Recovering Calvinist
  • OC.net guru
  • Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 05:30:50 PM »
Why don't you ask your Orthodox priest?

Seconded.

This is a pastoral issue, with many detailed and contingent parts, and would be best handled by your Orthodox parish priest.
"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy

Offline HandmaidenofGod

• Archon
  • O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 06:55:45 PM »
I agree with the above. I don't know about the Catholic parish your family attends, but I know here in NJ, most Catholic parishes have 5 or 6 Masses between Saturday night and Sunday night.

Perhaps you would be able to attend (but not commune) with your family at a Mass time that would not conflict with you attending Divine Liturgy? This may be a nice way of still worshiping with your family but still becoming Orthodox?
"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11

Offline Jason.Wike

• OC.net guru
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 09:12:47 PM »
Yeah, ask your priest about this and keep him in the know. That way he will know why you're not there all the time, if you are not, and that he does not misconstrue it as being uncertain if you are committed to Orthodoxy. If he is not aware of what is going on it could possibly appear you are vacillating on the issue I think, which could prolong things quite a bit. That is just how it seems to me, I could be completely wrong though.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 09:17:22 PM by Jason.Wike »

Offline Kokomoka

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2011, 03:36:31 AM »
I too have made the journey alone. My husband and rest of family is Catholic, although they don't attend regularly. If my husband attended Mass regularly, I would go with him on Saturday vigil. Not a lot of friction in my case, but still, its hard to go it alone. You will be in my prayers.
In the twilight of life, God will not judge our earthly possessions and human success, but rather how much we have loved. — St. John of the Cross

Offline NMHS

• Site Supporter
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2011, 07:47:44 PM »
Grace and Peace,

Okay. It appears that I am getting closer to entering into Holy Orthodoxy by entering into the Catechumenate. Unfortunately, I am doing this alone. My wife and my two children aren't coming with me at this time.

As a Roman Catholic and a devoted father this is and has been a very painful and troubling part of my conversion. Should I break any attendance with my Roman Catholic Parish and essentially be separated from my family on Sundays or should I mix our attendance?

Ignatius,  That's a tough question.  Assuming I may be in the same position one day I assume I may be having mixed attendance at the beginning and then go from there.  Although my mixed attendance would have me attending the RC and not vice versa...........or so I believe at the moment. Anyway, my prayers go out to you and your situation.  Caleb