OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 21, 2014, 12:01:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A Non Controversial Ukrainian Question  (Read 494 times) Average Rating: 0
podkarpatska
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« on: April 27, 2011, 11:21:32 AM »

I was watching a video of the Patriarch of Moscow's panachida at the memorial to the victims of Chernobyl near Kiev. He was there yesterday, Tuesday of Bright Week. In my experience in the Carpatho Rusyn Orthodox Church and knowledge of the Ruthenian Byzantine Church, we don't sing Vichnaja Pamjat during the Paschal Season, but rather sing Christos Voskres. At this service, they sang Vichnaja Pamjat. Is that a Ukrainian or a Russian tradition? I am not trying to provoke anyone, I am just curious. Thank you. By the way, Metropolitan Voldomyr looked very ill and frail in the video.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 11:29:23 AM »

In my Ukrainian church, all panachydas/funerals I've been to during the Paschal Season sing Christos Voskrec!  Christ is Risen!

St. Thomas Sunday (next Sunday) we all head for the cemeteries to have little panachydas performed at the graves of our loved ones.  At the particular cemetery I visit, the back section is mostly Orthodox - Ukrainians, Russians, Serbs, Belorussians, etc....and the whole place joyfully reverberates with Christos Voskrec!  

« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 11:29:43 AM by LizaSymonenko » Logged

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 11:31:42 AM »

I attended a panikhida yesterday and there was not "Memory eternal" too.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
podkarpatska
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 11:32:06 AM »

In my Ukrainian church, all panachydas/funerals I've been to during the Paschal Season sing Christos Voskrec!  Christ is Risen!

St. Thomas Sunday (next Sunday) we all head for the cemeteries to have little panachydas performed at the graves of our loved ones.  At the particular cemetery I visit, the back section is mostly Orthodox - Ukrainians, Russians, Serbs, Belorussians, etc....and the whole place joyfully reverberates with Christos Voskrec!  

That's what I thought. We don't intone in the funereal melodies either, it is a joyous season! Perhaps it is a Russian tradition?
Monk Vasyl
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: UOC of USA

Monk Vasyl
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2011, 10:14:28 PM »

During the Paschal season we use Christos Voskrec and we replace "It is truly meet..." with "Shine, shine..."

The unworthy hierodeacon, Vasyl
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: