OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 21, 2014, 11:41:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Mother of God's Psalter  (Read 1468 times) Average Rating: 0
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« on: December 14, 2009, 03:32:33 AM »

We have the so-called "Psalter of the Mother of God" in Romania, as a private devotion, of course.
Do other Orthodox churches know anything of it?
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2009, 05:53:26 AM »

Do you know who composed it? Books are often known by different titles across the Orthodox world.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
AWR
Greetings from the Southern Jersey Shore.

Jurisdiction: OCA

Expelled from Paradise

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2009, 10:38:10 AM »

Could you be talking about the The Akathist Hymn to the Theotokos?
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2009, 10:46:32 AM »

Could it be similair to what is known as the "Office of the BVM" in the Western Church?

Proverbs 22:7
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2009, 10:52:04 AM »

Could you be talking about the The Akathist Hymn to the Theotokos?
The Akathist is used in public liturgy, so I doubt that is what is meant.
The reason I asked who wrote it is because St. Nektarios of Pentapolis wrote a collection of odes and hymns to the Theotokos which we use in private devotion in the Greek Church called the Theotokarion. The hymn "Agne Parthene" ("O Virgin Pure") comes from this book. The second section of the Theotokarion has 154 hymns to the Theotokos which I'm wondering whether it might have been used as a "Psalter of the Thetokos".
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 10:57:27 AM by ozgeorge » Logged

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2009, 12:07:59 PM »

The book is sort of an adaptation of the Psalter, substituting the name of God for the Mother of God plus a few other changes asked for by this logic.
I see that something similar was also known in medieval Catholicism-see "Marian Psalter" and now I suspect this is a Western import into our church just like "Imitatio Christi" or "The Imitation of the Mother of God".
samkim
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2009, 01:04:52 PM »

The book is sort of an adaptation of the Psalter, substituting the name of God for the Mother of God plus a few other changes asked for by this logic.
I see that something similar was also known in medieval Catholicism-see "Marian Psalter" and now I suspect this is a Western import into our church just like "Imitatio Christi" or "The Imitation of the Mother of God".

I would like to hear more about both of these.

주 예수 그리스도 하느님의 아들이시여 저 이 죄인을 불쌍히 여기소서.
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2009, 11:55:00 PM »

All I can find regarding the Marian Psalter is attributing the term to the Rosary.

As a complete aside, I just found out that you get indulgences by praying the Rosary, which I never knew:

"A partial indulgence is gained, under the usual conditions, when praying a third of the Rosary (5 decades) continuously (i.e., one can't say a decade, go wash the dishes, and return to say the other decades).

A plenary indulgence is gained, under the usual conditions, when it is prayed by a family group or publicly in a church or oratory. The decades' Mysteries must be announced, and the Mysteries meditated on."

Learn something new every day! Tongue
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 11:58:49 PM by Ortho_cat » Logged
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2009, 03:48:03 AM »

That book does not even sound Orthodox, if it's substituting the Theotokos for God. This reminds me of an anecdote regarding one of the Optino Elders who was given this book that had an "Akathist to God the Father." He took it to another Elder for his opinion, I think he took it to St. Moses, who glanced at the title, said the Orthodox Church does not do akathists to God the Father, and threw it in the fire. Unfortunately, strange prayer books get produced by people who do not know the faith and end up advancing false teachings. Not knowing exactly what this book is, it's hard to tell. But your description is disturbing to me. If you have one, or want an opinion on it, though, I suggest you see an experienced priest or spiritual father.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
James Joseph

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Roman Rite (Latin)

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2011, 04:12:10 AM »

I am resurrecting this thread. I know it has been a while since the original post. I hope there are no objections.

When I first read the original post I immediately thought of what is known as the "Little Office of Our Lady". It date back to at least 730 A.D. with St. John Damascene. Pope St. Zacharias apparently spread the devotion by way of the little psalter. It is wonderful that it is in Latin, with facing English text.

It is my understanding that the eastern churches possess it too. Although it may have fallen into disuse. In this way, the Latins can thank a pair of Greeks for passing on to us such a wonderful gift.

Again, I hope none of you all mind.

http://www.fraternitypublications.com/liofofblvima.html
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: