OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 26, 2014, 03:31:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: difficult question!!!  (Read 1614 times) Average Rating: 0
henrikhankhagnell

Faith: Coptic Orthodox or Roman-Catholic in my heart but I have not convertet yet...

« on: April 26, 2011, 01:52:48 PM »

Will I have to give up being Swedish when becoming Orthodox?

searching for the church that is both catholic and orthodox...
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 02:02:33 PM »

Absolutely not!

However, I have to qualify my statement. In areligious and Protestant nations, Orthodoxy can be quite countercultural. If parts of your culture conflict with the teaching of the Church...it's gotta go. However, Orthodoxy has always baptized culture and penetrated it without obliterating the native culture.

We should not lose who we are as individuals, nor as cultures, to become Orthodox. We should simply be, well...Christianitized.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 02:03:03 PM by Benjamin the Red » Logged

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 02:59:05 PM »

May the prayers of all the Orthodox saints of Sweden, including St. Olof the King and Martyr, St. Anna of Novgorod, Sts. Sigfrid and Ansgar the Equals to the Apostles be with you! They pray for the conversion of all of Sweden back to its ancestral faith, Holy Orthodoxy.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
mabsoota
Archon

Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 03:02:13 PM »

u have to give up that stinky pickled fish during lent, otherwise, you should be fine  Wink
dill-flavoured crisps, i think, are lentern (every ikea has them, i assume they are some sort of national food!)
u will have to get used to always being the first person to arrive at church, and you'll probably kiss more people than you're used to at pascha, otherwise you should be alright.
i have friends from church who have relatives in sweden, if you like i can ask them how swedish they are  Wink
the egyptians and sudanese eat even stinkier fish (the method of preservation, i think, is similar to preserving mummies, and it smells just as good) so i think u will fit in just fine Smiley
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 03:06:14 PM »

Why would you have to give up your culture to serve Christ and His Church?  Huh

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
Marc1152
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2011, 03:14:42 PM »

We had a Swedish man come to Holy Week and Pascha services... He talked funny.

Oh ya sure by golly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oy2HfixB9_8
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 03:23:46 PM by Marc1152 » Logged

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2011, 03:15:27 PM »

How do you give up being Swedish?  

Heck, I can't even give up being from Jersey. No matter how hard I try to get rid of my accent, a fast-talking valley girl is always lurking underneath. They always know.

On a serious note, you will probably have to make some slight changes to adjust to the culture of your church. My very American husband isn't used to kissing icons or the priest's hand yet. My priest is okay with him not doing so, (he just crosses himself and says a quick prayer to venerate an icon) but he has had to make some adjustments to fit in culturally.

I like to think of it as picking up new habits while still maintaining our own personality and being aware of our own cultural quirks. I love engaging both the Greeks and non-Greeks and talking about our respective lifestyles, language, history, everything.

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2011, 03:19:32 PM »

During the Paschal Matins, our Priest included Swedish because one woman who is in the parish is Swedish and has children with her American husband who can speak Swedish:

Kristus är uppstånden!

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2011, 04:04:42 PM »

If applicable, I think it's common for people to become somewhat interested in the ethnic/linguistic culture of the church they attend. 

That said (and no "snarkiness" meant or offense to our Greek brethren intended), but I did not become, nor do I aspire to become Greek by joining the Greek Orthodox Church.

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
Punch
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2011, 04:23:11 PM »

Why would you have to give up your culture to serve Christ and His Church?  Huh

In most cases, you don't.  Very good question, and one that needs to be asked more often.

Orthodox only because of God and His Russians.
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2011, 04:26:03 PM »

If applicable, I think it's common for people to become somewhat interested in the ethnic/linguistic culture of the church they attend. 

That said (and no "snarkiness" meant or offense to our Greek brethren intended), but I did not become, nor do I aspire to become Greek by joining the Greek Orthodox Church.

Exactly. I want to learn how to speak Greek, study their history, and enjoy the fruits of their labor (ie: the food), but I am not going around and calling myself Greek, nor will I ever do that. I love the Slovak and Filipino blood that runs through me, and I hope that it will never be compromised, no matter what church I attend.

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
henrikhankhagnell

Faith: Coptic Orthodox or Roman-Catholic in my heart but I have not convertet yet...

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2011, 04:52:43 PM »

We had a Swedish man come to Holy Week and Pascha services... He talked funny.

Oh ya sure by golly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oy2HfixB9_8
Well, that's only because you don't speak Swedish.

During the Paschal Matins, our Priest included Swedish because one woman who is in the parish is Swedish and has children with her American husband who can speak Swedish:

Kristus är uppstånden!
laugh

dill-flavoured crisps, i think, are lentern (every ikea has them, i assume they are some sort of national food!)
Knäckebröd? but i don't know why you are thinking about dill. btw, Knäckebröd is something we buy at the grocery store/supermarket. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSouvEcrX4s
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 05:00:01 PM by henrikhankhagnell » Logged

deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2011, 05:23:45 PM »

Depends on what exactly you mean by "being Swedish" and which Orthodox church you join.

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2011, 05:30:41 PM »

Kristus är uppstånden!

The disestablishment of the Church of Sweden has removed any question on that.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 05:36:42 PM by ialmisry » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
ialmisry
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2011, 05:33:09 PM »

Bi-'Khristos afdon-f
u have to give up that stinky pickled fish during lent, otherwise, you should be fine  Wink
u will have to get used to always being the first person to arrive at church, and you'll probably kiss more people than you're used to at pascha, otherwise you should be alright.
i have friends from church who have relatives in sweden, if you like i can ask them how swedish they are  Wink
the egyptians and sudanese eat even stinkier fish (the method of preservation, i think, is similar to preserving mummies, and it smells just as good) so i think u will fit in just fine Smiley
fasiikh, the curse of Sham al-Nasiim.  Truly the food of demons.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 05:33:44 PM by ialmisry » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
ialmisry
Hypatos

« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2011, 05:35:16 PM »

Kristus är uppstånden!
May the prayers of all the Orthodox saints of Sweden, including St. Olof the King and Martyr, St. Anna of Novgorod, Sts. Sigfrid and Ansgar the Equals to the Apostles be with you! They pray for the conversion of all of Sweden back to its ancestral faith, Holy Orthodoxy.
St. Olav is the Eternal King of Norway!

henrikhankhagnell

« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2011, 03:57:56 AM »

Kristus är uppstånden!
so all churches and places in Sweden named after "St Olof" are very bad and must be re-named?

Andrew21091
OC.net guru

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2011, 04:06:41 AM »

I didn't have to give up being American. Nor did I have to give up my Polish and Scottish/Norman heritage either when I became Orthodox.
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2011, 05:04:48 AM »

Sannerligen Han är uppstånden!

Kristus är uppstånden!
so all churches and places in Sweden named after "St Olof" are very bad and must be re-named?

St. Olaf used to be popular not just in Norway but in all Scandinavia. Hopefully some day the Scandinavian Orthodox will refound him and revere him as eagerly as their ancestral Scandinavians did.

St. Olaf, pray for us!
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 05:09:08 AM by Alpo » Logged
Apostolos
Protopentekaidekarchos
Elder

Faith: Christian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Church of Greece

« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2011, 05:41:11 AM »

First of all, you must learn how to pronounce your vowels correct and get rid of the dark, nassal ones.
Secondly, you have to learn to drink ouzo, tsipouro and šljivovica.
Thirdly, there's no Ulf, Leif or Stig anymore, but Barsanuphrius, Macarius or Vsevolod...   

...and last but not least, please, please, quit eating Surströmming, it's unorthodox.
Christ is Risen
Don't worry you do not have to give up anything in order to become Orthodox (except perhaps that foul-smelling, rotten herring  Grin). Orthodoxy transcends and at the same time encompasses culture, making it her own   

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qG5JWZlpfBA
St. John Papadopoulos "The Koukouzelis"
Robert W
Self-appointed forum herald
Elder

Jurisdiction: Finland

Love is no feeling

« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2011, 06:48:07 AM »

Kristus är uppstånden!

Swedish is also my mother tongue and I can confidently say that it still is after several years in the Orthodox Church Wink. But I'm guessing you are speaking as much about culture as about language. My Finland-Swedish (finlandssvenska) culture is quite different from the Karelian and Russian culture that dominates parish life in the Finnish Orthodox Church, and it takes some time getting used to, but this does not mean I have had to give up any bit of my own culture (except perhaps Christmas eve traditions, fasting then is so out of sync with cultural tradition).

There is still much work to be done in translating stuff into Swedish but I have great hope for the future of Swedish language and culture within the Orthodox Church.
henrikhankhagnell

« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2011, 07:14:08 AM »

First of all, you must learn how to pronounce your vowels correct and get rid of the dark, nassal ones.  
Huh

Secondly, you have to learn to drink ouzo, tsipouro and šljivovica.
Thirdly, there's no Ulf, Leif or Stig anymore, but Barsanuphrius, Macarius or Vsevolod...      
but I want TEA!

So Henrik is a heterodox name?

...and last but not least, please, please, quit eating Surströmming, it's unorthodox.
Christ is Risen
I am a vegetarian so it's not my problem! 
but why can't orthodox people eat fish?

henrikhankhagnell

« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2011, 07:24:40 AM »

Kristus är uppstånden!

Swedish is also my mother tongue
maybe we should have a forum/thread for the Scandinavian languages! Smiley

[/quote]
There is still much work to be done in translating stuff into Swedish but I have great hope for the future of Swedish language and culture within the Orthodox Church.
[/quote]
It's like if the churches care more about the big language group than the small language group.  Cry
even the Finnish orthodox church seem to be very un-Finnish.

Margaret S.

« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2011, 08:32:30 AM »

I am a vegetarian so it's not my problem!  
but why can't orthodox people eat fish?

Orthodox people do eat fish Smiley I think there are just some folks here who don't appreciate lovely Scandinavian pickled herring. I, on the other hand, am Scottish and Jewish and consider pickled/marinated fish to be one of the better things in life.

Welcome to Orthodoxy!

In Christ,
Sr Margaret

« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 08:35:49 AM by Margaret S. » Logged
Robert W
Self-appointed forum herald
Elder

Jurisdiction: Finland

Love is no feeling

« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2011, 11:24:01 AM »

It's like if the churches care more about the big language group than the small language group.  Cry
Grin Surely we must with a positive attitude conclude that if all this translation work is going to get done we have to do it ourselves.
The Finnish Orthodox Church have had the same problem with translation of texts. Whatever texts are now available in Finnish have been translated by Finnish speaking people in Finland, with financial support from associations dedicated to that cause, and with the blessing of local bishops.
We cannot sit and wait for Moscow or Constantinople to hand us translations from above. Swedish speaking people needs to get engaged.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2011, 11:43:52 AM »

Kristus är uppstånden!

There are two King-Martyrs of that name.

St. Olaf (Olof Skötkonung or Olaf Eiríksson) III of Sweden, +July 30, 1022, was son of Eric the Victorious, first king of unified Sweden, and St. Olaf II of Norway, +July 29, 1030, was the son of Harald Grenske, great-great-grandchild of Harald Fairhair, the first king of Norway. The two have similarities, but they are two separate persons.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2011, 11:52:40 AM »

even the Finnish orthodox church seem to be very un-Finnish.

I don't know if I believe in such things as national cultures. That being said...

Finnish culture as it is usually understood is constructed on basis of Western Finland. So if we believe that Karelian culture dominates the Finnish church then you are indeed correct when you're saying that the Finnish church is a little un-Finnish. But if we go to practical grass-roots level then Karelian or Savonian culture is as much part of Finland as Southwestern and Ostrobothnian areas are. Even if so-called Finnish culture was originally created on basis of Western Finland that mean that it will be always so. Finns have actively...uhm... Finnishized (?) her Eastern parts since 19th century so Eastern Finland and it's cultures are as much part of Finland as are other areas and their culture. Culture is never a homogenous thing. Not even in Finland which is one of the most homogenous countries in the whole World.
henrikhankhagnell

« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2011, 02:51:58 PM »

Kristus är uppstånden!

There are two King-Martyrs of that name.

St. Olaf (Olof Skötkonung or Olaf Eiríksson) III of Sweden, +July 30, 1022, was son of Eric the Victorious, first king of unified Sweden, and St. Olaf II of Norway, +July 29, 1030, was the son of Harald Grenske, great-great-grandchild of Harald Fairhair, the first king of Norway. The two have similarities, but they are two separate persons.
but the one from Norway is more famous.

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: