OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 30, 2014, 10:06:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Seriously considering Orthodoxy.....  (Read 6798 times) Average Rating: 0
katherineofdixie
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #90 on: May 11, 2011, 09:25:17 AM »

What is the official Orthodox teaching on the veil for women in prayer? I know in 1 Corinthians it speak s of women wearing a veil in prayer, but i'd like to know what the Saints have said about it over the centuries.
There is no "official" Orthodox teaching on this. However it is a pious custom and practice for many Orthodox women, especially in some traditionally Orthodox countries. Our priest encourages but does not compel.

Her Mother sounds like she instructed her daughter well, so i'm not sure what she was so upset about?
Me either, though I'd be willing to guess (just a WAG, mind you) that it has something to do with mother/daughter issues, rather than theological ones.

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
mabsoota
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #91 on: May 11, 2011, 05:40:19 PM »

in most churches, you have to wear a veil (as a woman) before taking Holy Communion, and it is recommended during liturgy. some churches have loose lacy veils, others have complete veils that cover head and neck (esp. ethiopian and eritrean churches) and most of us are somewhere in between.
if you are not orthodox, or if you are brought up orthodox but are now unsure, and are not communing, it is certainly not necessary to wear a veil. it's fine for visitors and enquirers not to veil.
i agree with katherine of dixie, presumably there is some culture clash or generation clash with your friend and her mum.
if elders insist on keeping all the small rules and traditions but are bad at the big things (love, forgiveness etc) then it can leave people hating the tradition. i used to think i hated all tradition.
then i found the orthodox church and found the right tradition brings real peace  Smiley
katherineofdixie
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #92 on: May 12, 2011, 09:43:12 AM »

in most churches, you have to wear a veil (as a woman) before taking Holy Communion, and it is recommended during liturgy. some churches have loose lacy veils, others have complete veils that cover head and neck (esp. ethiopian and eritrean churches) and most of us are somewhere in between.
if you are not orthodox, or if you are brought up orthodox but are now unsure, and are not communing, it is certainly not necessary to wear a veil. it's fine for visitors and enquirers not to veil.
i agree with katherine of dixie, presumably there is some culture clash or generation clash with your friend and her mum.
if elders insist on keeping all the small rules and traditions but are bad at the big things (love, forgiveness etc) then it can leave people hating the tradition. i used to think i hated all tradition.
then i found the orthodox church and found the right tradition brings real peace  Smiley

When we were visitors and catechumens, I wore a headcovering out of respect, because that seemed to be the prevailing custom in the parish. I don't want to sound weird, but now I do so because the wearing of it seems to help me focus. It's kind of like wearing my cross: I don't wear a cross to show other people I'm Christian - I wear it to remind myself that I'm Christian, and to try to act accordingly.

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
Tags: Orthodoxy vs. Catholicism papal supremacy 
Pages: « 1 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: