OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 02, 2014, 11:10:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OC.net, the perfect Oxymoron!!!  (Read 1291 times) Average Rating: 0
PoorFoolNicholas
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Theologoumenon

« on: April 26, 2011, 12:52:32 AM »

Don't you love to post a question on OC.net, a Internet forum for Christian discussion, just to be told you shouldn't be posting questions about the Christian life on the Internet? How perfect!!!  Undecided Lips Sealed Roll Eyes
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 01:25:15 AM »

Don't you love to post a question on OC.net, a Internet forum for Christian discussion, just to be told you shouldn't be posting questions about the Christian life on the Internet? How perfect!!!  Undecided Lips Sealed Roll Eyes
What are you complaining about? Huh Can you give us a specific example?
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 01:37:33 AM »

What are you complaining about? Huh Can you give us a specific example?
Okay, I think I see what's drawn your ire:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,35536.msg559983.html#msg559983
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 09:28:35 AM »

As a neutral observer who has not taken part in the thread Peter linked, but has now read it twice - I would say that you overreacted a bit.  The majority of the posts are either answering your questions or backing up your opinion of the one piece of advice you disagreed with.  My advice is, when you think someone is being a donkey, take a step back, chillax, and carry on.  The post you took offense to did seem to come off a little snarky, but no reason to not be cool.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 10:07:17 AM »

Internet communication is difficult because much of the context of regular communication is missing--you don't see the person you're communicating with, you're using text and not speech--so there's no intonation, and often you do not know the person who is writing--so you can't tell what is "normal" for him or her. Please, do not be distressed. It is always good to refrain from emotional investment in what one is discussing, I think. I have to realize that I cannot read people's minds, so I give them the benefit of the doubt. But some of them still drive me crazy. I should not, however, let crazy people make me crazy. Smiley

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2011, 10:17:50 AM »

Don't you love to post a question on OC.net, a Internet forum for Christian discussion, just to be told you shouldn't be posting questions about the Christian life on the Internet? How perfect!!!  Undecided Lips Sealed Roll Eyes

You know what is ironic?  Starting a thread with a post like this, whilst having the following quote in your sig:

"Disputes merely about words must not be suffered to divide those who think alike.

St. Athansius the Great"

Now, to your actual beef: if I were you, I would be insulted if someone didn't make the point that seems to have drawn your disapproval.  You theoretically want people to give you complete and honest and accurate answers to your questions - unless, of course, you only post questions that you want a certain type of answer for; in that case, you should just post them on Facebook, since in that venue you can delete comments you don't like.  In that thread that you're ostensibly complaining about, not only did people answer your questions, and answer them before the post-in-question, but your question was also given a bit of context: mid-hours are usually done in monasteries, but not too many of them.  Not only that, but the discussion was allowed to continue, even though the dissenting voice in the thread was none other than that section's moderator - it was not lost on him that your question had been answered, but he felt it necessary, as someone who has formal education regarding the Church's worship cycle and life, to give you the pointers that he gave you.

No one has stopped you from complaining - and no one will, unless you begin complaining about a formal moderatorial decision publicly.  But your premise - that somehow there is a disconnect between the forum's purpose and how certain topics have been treated - seems to be a bit under-supported (unsupported, IMO) by the evidence.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
PoorFoolNicholas
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2011, 11:13:38 AM »

No one has stopped you from complaining - and no one will, unless you begin complaining about a formal moderatorial decision publicly.  But your premise - that somehow there is a disconnect between the forum's purpose and how certain topics have been treated - seems to be a bit under-supported (unsupported, IMO) by the evidence.
I respectfully disagree Father.
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2011, 11:34:17 AM »

I also read the thread twice. It's not that questions are not allowed to be asked on the forum, but some questions are better saved for your Spiritual Father/priest.

It's like going on a forum about cancer and asking what the correct dosage of chemo should be. That is a question that is best reserved for your personal physician; not a forum on cancer.

Your question was regarding a prayer rule. Something that is different for each individual. It is best to be prescribed by your Spiritual Father; not a forum.

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
PoorFoolNicholas
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2011, 12:06:06 PM »

Except my initial question had nothing to do with ME actually praying the mid hours, just how they were implemented within the daily cycle during Bright Week. Perhaps you should read the thread a third time.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2011, 12:15:52 PM »

Except my initial question had nothing to do with ME actually praying the mid hours, just how they were implemented within the daily cycle during Bright Week. Perhaps you should read the thread a third time.
Is it not permitted to ask why you asked the question to begin with? People generally don't ask such questions as you asked purely out of idle curiosity about an abstract topic.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 12:22:50 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2011, 12:25:59 PM »

It's now an oxymoron because of isolated incidents?

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
PoorFoolNicholas
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2011, 12:50:10 PM »

People generally don't ask such questions as you asked purely out of idle curiosity about an abstract topic.
Sure they do. It happens all the time on OC.net.

And IsmiLiora:

Isolated???  Huh I think you need to spend a little more time on this forum perhaps, if you think it's "isolated".
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2011, 01:03:13 PM »

Well, although I am just a newbie, I have read a lot of the posts, new and old. I agree that there's some point where people are going to just say "Ask your priest!" because that's just the best answer for the question. I don't think the reason in the thread was uncalled for, although it came off very snarky. (Yes, I said snarky.)

Wires get crossed and people make assumptions. This is endemic to ANY message board. That's why you can contact the mods or discuss the problem with the person's comment in the thread.

But honestly, creating a NEW THREAD to complain about it is just even more snarky. Do you honestly think that you are stirring up thoughtful conversation by calling a forum, which has helped many people, an oxymoron in the title? Your tone in the OP sounds like you're baiting and just venting. Forgive me if my assumption is wrong.

--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2011, 01:05:49 PM »

People generally don't ask such questions as you asked purely out of idle curiosity about an abstract topic.
Sure they do. It happens all the time on OC.net.
Have the posters of such questions admitted that that's what they're doing? Otherwise, how can you know for certain? Can you read people's motivations merely by reading their posts? It seems to me you're making assumptions of other people, which fits your definition of arrogant and dangerous.
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2011, 01:20:23 PM »

Some people have a general interest in particular topics, even when they're not directly related to their situation. This forum is full of questions about Old Believers, Copts, Armenians, Assyrians, Latin and Byzantine Catholics, etc. and how these groups conduct their services, without the people asking having any intention of incorporating those elements into their personal lives.

But, of course, there's nothing wrong in asking where a person's interest comes from.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2011, 01:41:55 PM »

Something else to think about, PFN:

I notice that in one post you mention your desire to pray more and your love for a particular office of prayer, yet your posts so frequently show the same hot-tempered snarkiness that defines this thread. Do you not notice the disconnect?
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2011, 01:47:55 PM »

Something else to think about, PFN:

I notice that in one post you mention your desire to pray more and your love for a particular office of prayer, yet your posts so frequently show the same hot-tempered snarkiness that defines this thread. Do you not notice the disconnect?

Of course, we don't know him save from here.  He might have been much more hot-tempered and snarky before he started to desire to pray more and devote himself to his particular prayer rule.   angel

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2011, 01:51:28 PM »

This thread is rife with assumptions!!  Cheesy

--
--
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2011, 02:01:49 PM »

If I had the ability, I'd have half a mind to lock this thread to teach you all a lesson in how to be an arrogant, dangerous and snarky curmudgeon...

...oh, wait! police

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2011, 02:13:53 PM »

Christ is risen!

Some people have a general interest in particular topics, even when they're not directly related to their situation. This forum is full of questions about Old Believers, Copts, Armenians, Assyrians, Latin and Byzantine Catholics, etc. and how these groups conduct their services, without the people asking having any intention of incorporating those elements into their personal lives.

But, of course, there's nothing wrong in asking where a person's interest comes from.
I think the problem was that he was clear that it was not idle curiosity, but something he might act on (and hence make the advisor culpable).
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 02:14:42 PM by ialmisry » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
PoorFoolNicholas
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2011, 02:20:58 PM »

yet your posts so frequently show the same hot-tempered snarkiness that defines this thread. Do you not notice the disconnect?
I really enjoy most of what you post PtA. But it does take one to know one. You are Snarkimus Maximus. You could say that I learned all of my best tricks from you.  Shocked And if you don't realize that, then you are disconnected as well.
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2011, 02:24:26 PM »

yet your posts so frequently show the same hot-tempered snarkiness that defines this thread. Do you not notice the disconnect?
I really enjoy most of what you post PtA. But it does take one to know one. You are Snarkimus Maximus. You could say that I learned all of my best tricks from you.  Shocked And if you don't realize that, then you are disconnected as well.

You do realize that you have now entered Pee Wee Herman territory, yes?  The big question is who is Pee Wee and who is Francis...

And now that I've had the last snarky word, I'm following through on my threat and closing this.  No more good can come of this thread and only evil can now follow.

May the risen Lord have mercy on all of us snarky, arrogant and dangerous sinners.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 02:25:26 PM by Schultz » Logged

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
PoorFoolNicholas
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2011, 02:57:39 PM »

I initially was annoyed so I opened the previous thread. It was mostly meant to be in jest, but a lot of people responded. If I did offend anyone I apologize. I have never had a thread locked before, so I apparently messed up pretty royally. I love you guys. Christ is Risen!

P.S. PtA, we are more alike than you want to admit!!! Tongue Grin laugh
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 02:58:42 PM by PoorFoolNicholas » Logged
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2011, 03:32:20 PM »

Thread locked.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2011, 05:54:58 PM »

As a general FYI: Do not start new threads to clarify, continue, or otherwise comment on a discussion that has recently been locked.  Yes, sometimes we regret our actions and may feel a need to apologize or clarify - please do this via PM with the appropriate parties.  Circumventing a thread lock by starting a new thread is a warn-able offense and should never be done.

Thank you!

- Fr. George, Global Moderator

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: