OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 26, 2014, 12:16:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pre-Catechumens, Catechumens, and Canon Law  (Read 651 times) Average Rating: 0
Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Non-Chalcedonian Byzantine
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« on: April 26, 2011, 12:48:03 AM »

My question is this: are pre-catechumens and catechumens in any way bound by Canon Law, having not been Baptized into the Church yet?

Primarily:
If one is either a pre-catechumen or a catechumen, and they enter a mixed marriage with a non-Christian, is a problem generated by doing so?

Obviously if they were baptized into Orthodoxy they would excommunicate themselves by doing such, but if they're not baptized yet could they still be excommunicated (post-Baptism) or denied Baptism altogether? Or would their Baptism and Chrismation be handled in the way it is normally for any other mixed-marriage catechumen?
PoorFoolNicholas
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Theologoumenon

« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 01:17:10 AM »

If one is either a pre-catechumen or a catechumen, and they enter a mixed marriage with a non-Christian, is a problem generated by doing so?
It would certainly be difficult to not be spiritually at one with one's spouse, but these marriages happen a lot in Orthodoxy. When I married my wife within the Church, she wasn't Orthodox yet. She did convert a few months later after being properly catechized, however. I am sure some will correct me on this, but I don't think you would be excommunicated in either scenario. With that said, the Orthodox life is so difficult to live as it is, I couldn't imagine doing it without the support of my wife at my side.
My 2¢
Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 01:32:51 AM »

It would certainly be difficult to not be spiritually at one with one's spouse, but these marriages happen a lot in Orthodoxy. When I married my wife within the Church, she wasn't Orthodox yet. She did convert a few months later after being properly catechized, however. I am sure some will correct me on this, but I don't think you would be excommunicated in either scenario. With that said, the Orthodox life is so difficult to live as it is, I couldn't imagine doing it without the support of my wife at my side.
My 2¢

Yeah, that is a legitimate issue I would have to deal with when/if the time came.

However before I began to worry about the potential difficulties of mixed marriages in general, I was mostly making sure that as a pre-Catechumen (future Catechumen) that I wouldn't be affected by the Canons deeming mixed marriages among Orthodox faithful as excommunicative.
PoorFoolNicholas
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 01:51:17 AM »

I was mostly making sure that as a pre-Catechumen (future Catechumen) that I wouldn't be affected by the Canons deeming mixed marriages among Orthodox faithful as excommunicative.
Well each jurisdiction decides which canons they want to enforce, clear as mud right? But I would be extremely surprised if you were excommunicated in either scenario. You could run into being denied communion for a period of time, determined by your Priest, but excommunication? I doubt it.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 01:57:19 AM »

I was mostly making sure that as a pre-Catechumen (future Catechumen) that I wouldn't be affected by the Canons deeming mixed marriages among Orthodox faithful as excommunicative.
Well each jurisdiction decides which canons they want to enforce, clear as mud right? But I would be extremely surprised if you were excommunicated in either scenario. You could run into being denied communion for a period of time, determined by your Priest, but excommunication? I doubt it.
Denial of communion for a period of time is, by definition, excommunication.
PoorFoolNicholas
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2011, 02:01:27 AM »

I know that Peter, but for most Western converts the idea of excommunication involves Bell, Book, and Candle. I didn't want the OP to think that he would be tossed out of the Church never to return, and then burn eternally in outer darkness.
Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2011, 02:05:12 AM »

I know that Peter, but for most Western converts the idea of excommunication involves Bell, Book, and Candle. I didn't want the OP to think that he would be tossed out of the Church never to return, and then burn eternally in outer darkness.

Well personally I was aware that I could still attend I would just be denied communion (something I've only recently learned, actually). Not actually thrown out of the Church itself (e.g. Mormonism).

I was under the (apparently) false assumption that excommunications were permanent in nature. I'm assuming religious baggage leftover still. Hmm.
PoorFoolNicholas
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2011, 02:06:50 AM »

I'm assuming religious baggage leftover still. Hmm.
Yep.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: