OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 26, 2014, 01:42:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Interesting (but little known facts) About the Divine Liturgy  (Read 2052 times) Average Rating: 0
Manny_the_Pathologist

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA but I like the Old Calendarists

« on: April 26, 2011, 12:19:39 AM »

Hello,

It's been a while since I have been to the forum.  For my first post, I was wondering if you might post interesting (but little known) facts about the Liturgy.  For example, the waving of the cloth covering the gifts during the Divine Liturgy is a sign of the victorious flag of Christianity.  As many people who post have an extensive knowledge base, Id love to learn more about our tradition

-Manny_the_Pathologist
You have ignored my question about your account. I'm warning you. You have 7 more days for answering me or you'll be put on permanent moderation - Michał Kalina.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 06:55:01 PM by Michał Kalina » Logged
NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

When in doubt, say: "you lack the proper φρόνημα"

« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 12:22:31 AM »

I thought the cloth waving was to keep the flies off!  Tongue

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 12:26:21 AM »

Welcome to the forum!  Smiley

Kasatkin fan
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA - Archdiocese of Canada

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 01:39:59 AM »

Semiotics being what it is, both could easily be correct.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 01:53:33 AM »

Giving deep symbolic meaning to mundane things is what makes EOxy, Eastern.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Sleeper
OC.net guru

On hiatus for the foreseeable future.

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2011, 10:22:27 AM »

This definitely seems to be the case.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 10:23:28 AM by Sleeper » Logged
jah777
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2011, 10:41:47 AM »

And to represent the "rushing mighty wind" of the Holy Spirit at Pentecost (Acts 2:2).
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2011, 10:50:29 AM »

People often ask my priest if there's any significance to him holding the Gospel book while giving his sermons. In many ways, he resembles the priests and bishops in the icons because he wraps it in his phelonion and doesn't touch it with his hands. But, in reality, it is not symbolic at all. It's his security blanket for public speaking, and he doesn't touch it with his hand at that time so as not to tarnish it.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2011, 08:29:58 PM »

People often ask my priest if there's any significance to him holding the Gospel book while giving his sermons. In many ways, he resembles the priests and bishops in the icons because he wraps it in his phelonion and doesn't touch it with his hands. But, in reality, it is not symbolic at all. It's his security blanket for public speaking, and he doesn't touch it with his hand at that time so as not to tarnish it.

Beautiful, on both levels.

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2011, 08:41:44 PM »

I don't mean to be a stick-in-the-mud, but isn't there a danger to ascribing spiritual explanations to every single mundane action? My priest* told my husband and I some stories about how church members would argue that things needed to be done a certain way because of the symbolism that they ascribed to it. It can make certain behaviors and rituals appear more necessary than they actually are.

For example, how important is waving the cloth over the gifts? I heard the fly story as well as other explanations. If it's the former, then is it right for a priest to be chastised for not waving the cloth? It's important to everyone else because they made up an explanation, but it's not necessarily vital for the Liturgy. (Or is it?)

*Thanks to whoever mentioned that they were felt strange about calling a priest "my priest" when they were just a catechumen. Now I'm on the self-conscious train!
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 08:42:20 PM by IsmiLiora » Logged

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2011, 08:55:46 PM »

I don't mean to be a stick-in-the-mud, but isn't there a danger to ascribing spiritual explanations to every single mundane action? My priest* told my husband and I some stories about how church members would argue that things needed to be done a certain way because of the symbolism that they ascribed to it. It can make certain behaviors and rituals appear more necessary than they actually are.

I agree, but the opposite mindset is also dangerous -- ie: anything other than the anaphora/oblation can be done away with because it is unnecessary (I am not accusing you of this thinking at all, just saying it is a temptation that exists).
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 08:56:22 PM by akimori makoto » Logged

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
bogdan
OC.net guru

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2011, 09:02:52 PM »

I don't mean to be a stick-in-the-mud, but isn't there a danger to ascribing spiritual explanations to every single mundane action?

If memory serves, I think Fr Alexander Schmemann takes a similar track in "For the Life of the World." (Of course he never argued that we should remove such things as unnecessary or anything like that, which would not be Orthodox. We don't seek to determine what is the minimum necessary for a "valid" Liturgy.)

I personally think that mundane actions can take on a greater meaning. These meanings are wonderful and add great richness—but should not be treated as dogma or be the cause of arguments. We don't need to deny the practical origins either. Liturgy develops, it's a fact.

As another interesting note, I've heard the Great Entrance was originally the priest walking to a table where the people put bread for the offering, and choosing a loaf to use for the Eucharist. The procession was kept, even when that practice of bringing bread was no longer done. Now it seems to represent Christ's entry into Jerusalem.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 09:03:44 PM by bogdan » Logged
Manny_the_Pathologist

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA but I like the Old Calendarists

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2011, 02:03:37 PM »

I am currently working on a project to compose a new Liturgy Book for Sunday Services with a few friends in the clergy.  I think that even if some actions in the Liturgy were originally practical and then came to have a liturgical meaning, I think these would be valuable to mention to lift up people's hearts and minds to God.

LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2011, 02:44:45 PM »

Manny!  I would love to hear about these.

This is my summer's project.  I teach religion at our church school....and my summer plan is to make a "booklet" explaining the Divine Liturgy. 

While I know that there are multiple symbolisms for almost every action, none the less....I think it would be good for people to realize the meaning of what is happening before them.  Maybe if they knew "what" they were seeing, they would actually be participators and not just spectators.

I've accumulated a number of books...and now only need to get organized....and find the time to actually sit down and do the work.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: