OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 27, 2014, 09:23:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: printing out pictures of icons  (Read 2678 times) Average Rating: 0
casisthename

Faith: Converting to Orthodoxy

« on: April 25, 2011, 06:24:54 PM »

Out of curiosity would there be anything wrong with printing out pictures of icons and keeping them around my room? I do intend to purchase icons at some point but since I had to go randomn for my roommate next year I'm not sure if keeping actual icons in my room would be a good idea. For one, I could easily get a protestant (I go to an evangelical school) who could be completely uncomfortable with icons in the room since it is essentially a shared bedroom. 2) I could also end up with a individual who does not respect others property since I have no idea who I will be rooming with. I don't want to have to worry about an icon being damaged by carelessness of others.
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2011, 06:34:07 PM »

In my sincere and completely-unauthoritative opinion:

Printed icons are still icons. They depict Christ and his saints, and should be shown the exact same respect as a mounted print or a hand-painted icon. There are printed icons that have been myrrh-streaming. I believe this is solid evidence of the validity of such icons.

So, if you're looking to print out icons instead of buying them so that if they are unwanted or damaged...you shouldn't. They should be treated just like any other icon, whether they cost more money or not...the depiction is the same. Even an icon that is printed on plain paper should be respectfully handled and venerated, and when it needs to be disposed of, it should be burned in holy trash...just like any other icon.

However, if you're in a money pinch but want icons...go for it. Like I stated before, I believe they are just as "valid" (to use some Latin terminology) as a mounted print or even a hand-painted icon. The monetary value of the icon does not matter, it is that fact that it depicts the image of God (either through Christ Himself or in His saints).

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
casisthename

Faith: Converting to Orthodoxy

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2011, 06:37:18 PM »

^Its partly the money thing but alot of it is the fact that a printed out icon would probably draw less attention and create less issues if it is an issue.
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2011, 06:48:16 PM »

^Its partly the money thing but alot of it is the fact that a printed out icon would probably draw less attention and create less issues if it is an issue.

I think that's fine. Actually, I think it's quite humble to desire not to draw attention to your piety.

My only concern when people think about printing out their own icons is that they may think, since they just put them on some printer paper, they don't have to treat them like "real" icons. Except...they are real icons, and that small icon you printed out at home should receive the exact same veneration and respect as a life-sized gold leaf written by a master iconographer.

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
Daedelus1138
Elder

Faith: Christian

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2011, 08:48:53 PM »

Can you give some advice on what is the proper way to treat an icon?  (believe it or not it was not covered in my catechumen classes)  I have 3 icons so far, one my priest gave me a year ago, and 2 more i bought for the Lenten season.    I only currently have space for about 1-2 icons at a time, during Lent I kept up an icon of the Theotokos of the Passion, after Lent I put up Christ Pantocrator.   How should these icons be stored when not in use?
TheMathematician
Banished and Disgraced
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Serbian

Formerly known as Montalo

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2011, 09:19:34 PM »

so, an icon is an icon no matter when it is written/printed on?

SCREW BON JOVI!
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2011, 09:28:17 PM »

I would say yes, but with the caveat that I would not kiss my computer screen. Nor would I reckon deleting a digital image as iconoclasm. I was taught that paper icons should not be thrown away, but recycled or burned respectfully.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 09:29:37 PM by Shanghaiski » Logged

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2011, 09:29:34 PM »

I would say yes, but with the caveat that I would not kiss my computer screen.

Would you kiss a piece of paper?

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2011, 09:31:55 PM »

I would certainly. It's not just a picture on a paper, but an icon. Same goes for books.

If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Ruthenian Greek Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Pheonix

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2011, 09:38:48 PM »

there is nothing wrong with this.  that being said, I have been instructed that if I want to venerate an icon that's been printed, I should frame it and have it blessed.  I understand not wanting to draw attention to yourself, and this is a good way.  I've also read of pious Ukrainian faithful, during communism, having locked cabinets that have icons and lamps inside them.  hiding icons is something Orthodox have become good at over the years  Wink

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2011, 09:40:52 PM »

I would certainly. It's not just a picture on a paper, but an icon. Same goes for books.

What is the reason for declaring the image on the paper to be an icon but not the image on the computer screen?

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2011, 09:50:17 PM »

What is the reason for declaring the image on the paper to be an icon but not the image on the computer screen?

Well, quite practically, it is more tangible to me, more portable, and more permanent--it doesn't turn off and on. It is "finished," so to speak. To me, an icon on a screen is not "realized."

Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2011, 09:56:06 PM »

Most of the icons you can purchase (the affordable ones, anyway) are printed on paper and mounted on wood, so I don't see any issue with printing them out yourself.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2011, 10:00:54 PM »

I would have to agree.  I have many photos of icons on my hard drive, but, that's all they are - photos of icons.  I cannot have them blessed, nor can I light a candle before them.

I once heard a story about a priest who went to visit an old monk.  I can't remember the details, but, it went something like....the priest entered the older man's room and saw that on the wall was hanging a "paper" icon ....  held up by tape....corners curling....and the candle stand was nothing more than a tin cup.  The priest was humbled by the monk's piousness....and it went to show that even the simple, paper print icon....is still an icon....and may be more of an "icon" than some fancy ones that adorn people's walls....and instead of being "icons" are merely pieces of art to them.

It's all in how you view it and what your intentions are towards it.  

Just remember to treat even paper icons with due respect.  

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2011, 10:15:42 PM »

Can you give some advice on what is the proper way to treat an icon?  (believe it or not it was not covered in my catechumen classes)  I have 3 icons so far, one my priest gave me a year ago, and 2 more i bought for the Lenten season.    I only currently have space for about 1-2 icons at a time, during Lent I kept up an icon of the Theotokos of the Passion, after Lent I put up Christ Pantocrator.   How should these icons be stored when not in use?

There are plenty here that have more experience and could improve on my "Icon Treatment 101", but the tradition I've received is:

- Never set them so they face down (such as on a table). Practical reasons notwithstanding, like if you need to work on the back of the icon for some reason (for mounting, etc.)

-When you carry them, do so that they face outward, holding them underneath with both hands (kind of like cradling a baby). [EDIT: This would obviously be awkward for an icon on paper and unframed. Hold it respectfully on either side, and do your best to not have your hands/fingers over the actual image of the saint depicted. Actually, it's a good rule to try to not cover an icon. There are some exceptions to this (e.g., at a vigil service for the glorification of a saint, the newly-comissioned icon is laid on the central analogion and covered with a cloth until the magnification...IIRC).]

-Never clean them with chemicals. The most traditional method is with natural rose water.

-There is nothing wrong with storing them, just do so respectfully. Face them outward in a cabinet if you can. If not, it's okay to stack them in a box or something. Put a piece of fabric in-between them so they do not scratch each other.

-When handling an icon (for any reason), kiss it. This is usually done right after one picks up the icon or right before one sets it down.

-When disposing of an icon (indeed, any holy item), burn it respectfully, either on its own or with other holy objects until they are completely ashed. Then, bury the ashes in a small hole where they will not likely be walked upon. Many parishes will keep a bin for "holy trash" that will be periodically emptied and disposed of properly.

I'm sure there's a lot more out there...but these are the basic traditional practices that I have been taught.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 10:26:10 PM by Benjamin the Red » Logged

deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2011, 10:24:47 PM »

Well, quite practically, it is more tangible to me, more portable, and more permanent--it doesn't turn off and on. It is "finished," so to speak. To me, an icon on a screen is not "realized."

Ah, ok.  Smiley

FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2011, 10:37:31 PM »

-Never clean them with chemicals. The most traditional method is with natural rose water.

Since you mentioned printed icons on paper earlier in the longer version of your post I thought I would add this caveat: Don't use water near a printed icon unless it's framed behind glass.  I have one of the Theotokos where the glass in the frame broke and now the ink is running from a few times when I venerated the icon after getting water trapped in my mustache.

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
Sauron
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2011, 11:23:02 PM »

I would say yes, but with the caveat that I would not kiss my computer screen. Nor would I reckon deleting a digital image as iconoclasm. I was taught that paper icons should not be thrown away, but recycled or burned respectfully.

Out of concern of this issue, my wife and I have been saving the programs we receive at each Sunday's Divine Liturgy because they invariably feature an icon on the cover as well as on the inner pages. Should we burn them? Maybe I should ask the priest about this.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2011, 11:45:29 PM »

Out of concern of this issue, my wife and I have been saving the programs we receive at each Sunday's Divine Liturgy because they invariably feature an icon on the cover as well as on the inner pages. Should we burn them? Maybe I should ask the priest about this.

I would say burn them, in a place that won't be walked on--maybe in a woodstove or in a spot reserved for burning holy things--also old palm crosses, blessed flowers and fruit, etc.

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2011, 11:46:41 PM »

I have a "burn bag" near my icons that I put stuff in that needs to be burned. Stuff that would spoil, I put under a hedge. I don't bury it, just put it on the ground. Every Pascha there are red eggshells Smiley .

BrassMonkey
Sinful but hopeful

Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Thyateira and Great Britain

Most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2011, 07:09:21 AM »

Interesting- I was wondering about printed icons myself. I'm a newbie catechumen and have no icon corner yet, so I'm giving some thought to this matter at the moment.

The closest thing I have is a surface reserved for Christian books (e.g. Desert Fathers) on which I have put two images:
-A book-like hinged wooden picture with the Theotokos on one side and Christ on the other, which was given to me by an Anglican priest and which I have treasured ever since. It looks pretty Orthodox to me now that I've seen other Orthodox icons though... how can I tell?
-A postcard-type picture of Christ which was given to me in the street by a Mormon. I'm not overly fond of it as an image and am not interested in Mormonism, but it seemed wrong to just to throw an image of Christ in the recycling.

Should I burn the latter?

Lord Jesus Christ, son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2011, 12:48:56 PM »

Since you mentioned printed icons on paper earlier in the longer version of your post I thought I would add this caveat: Don't use water near a printed icon unless it's framed behind glass.  I have one of the Theotokos where the glass in the frame broke and now the ink is running from a few times when I venerated the icon after getting water trapped in my mustache.

Great caveat! Thank you for that!

Should I burn the latter?

I would not consider the Mormon picture of Christ to be, by any means, a canonical "icon" in the theological, liturgical sense of the word. I personally would not venerate it. However, in spite of the Mormon denial of the divinity of Christ, they are still depicting Him, even if they misunderstand. I would think that such a picture should probably be respected.

As for burning it? I could see arguments for either way. If you feel weird about just tossing it, then I don't see a problem with burning it in holy trash. You may also ask your priest his opinion. I'm actually curious to get clerical opinion on this, if any here would like to pipe up. I'll try to remember to ask my priest about this when I see him again. I'd like to know what he would say. Great question!

Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2011, 03:21:11 PM »

Of the 10-12 icons we have around the house, only one is a mounted, monastic-produced icon. The rest are framed prints.

If you want to frame a print, or if you want to mount it on a piece of wood yourself, I think this website could be very useful.

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
myrrhbear

Jurisdiction: OCA

Trust in God

« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2011, 05:01:40 PM »

Someone asked me about Christmas stamps, of Virgin Mary. She won't throw the envelopes in the trash if her cards and letters come with it at Christmastime.

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
BrassMonkey
Sinful but hopeful

Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Thyateira and Great Britain

Most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2012, 04:32:45 AM »

I would not consider the Mormon picture of Christ to be, by any means, a canonical "icon" in the theological, liturgical sense of the word. I personally would not venerate it. However, in spite of the Mormon denial of the divinity of Christ, they are still depicting Him, even if they misunderstand. I would think that such a picture should probably be respected.

As for burning it? I could see arguments for either way. If you feel weird about just tossing it, then I don't see a problem with burning it in holy trash. You may also ask your priest his opinion. I'm actually curious to get clerical opinion on this, if any here would like to pipe up. I'll try to remember to ask my priest about this when I see him again. I'd like to know what he would say. Great question!

Been a year, but I finally got around to asking my priest. His advice was to put a match to it, or to bring it to church and let them burn it. He added that often he wouldn't worry too much about it, as these days there are so many periodicals, brochures, leaflets etc. with images of icons in them that you have to dispose of them quickly and without much ceremony.

Lord Jesus Christ, son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2012, 12:00:11 PM »

these days there are so many periodicals, brochures, leaflets etc. with images of icons in them that you have to dispose of them quickly and without much ceremony.

Sad but true.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2012, 12:33:15 AM »

Why not keep an Icon book or binder? For example, like buy a large binder book that you can store pictures in and print out several Icon pictures and put them in the binder. Then when you want to venerate them or pray, you open up the binder and find the Icon in question.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: