OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 23, 2014, 01:27:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 67 parishes closed  (Read 3396 times) Average Rating: 0
spartacus
Elder

OC.net

« on: May 26, 2004, 10:41:28 PM »

Yesterday the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Boston announced the closing 67 parishes.

The closinge were attributed to declining attendence and donations from the fallout of the sexual abuse scandals as well as a declining number of Roman Catholic priests and seminarians entering the Catholic priesthood.

Boston is the 4th largest Roman Catholic Archdiocese in the U.S.

Ben
Unabashedly Pro-Life
OC.net guru

« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2004, 11:23:40 PM »

The fruits of Vatican II

"I prefer to be accused unjustly, for then I have nothing to reproach myself with, and joyfully offer this to the good Lord. Then I humble myself at the thought that I am indeed capable of doing the thing of which I have been accused. " - Saint
prodromos
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

Sydney, Australia

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2004, 02:41:18 AM »

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nationworld/2001938736_boston26.html

This report had an unfortunate addition at the end.

Catholic priest arrested in an Internet sex sting

WARREN, Mich. — A Roman Catholic priest was arrested in an Internet sex sting after allegedly arranging to meet someone he thought was a 14-year-old girl.

The Rev. Shamaun Beas, 35, was charged with offenses including sexually abusive activity involving a child and using a computer to commit a crime. The charges carry up to 20 years in prison. He was jailed on $5 million bail.

Beas was arrested Monday after driving by a home in a Detroit suburb that was set up as a meeting point, authorities said. Investigators said Beas made the 110-mile drive after contacting an investigator posing as a teenage girl in an Internet chat room.

Beas was ordained in 1994 and was serving as an associate pastor in Portland, Mich., authorities said. The Grand Rapids Diocese said Beas was suspended yesterday.

Sad
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2004, 08:18:45 AM »

The fruits of Vatican II

That could certainly be taken in more than one way! Wink

But why should they bother folks up there in the People's Republic of Massachusetts?
« Last Edit: May 27, 2004, 08:21:03 AM by Linus7 » Logged

The first condition of salvation is to keep the norm of the true faith and in no way to deviate from the established doctrine of the Fathers.
- Pope St. Hormisdas
JoeZollars
OC.net guru

Pray for me an unworthy sinner

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2004, 09:19:04 AM »

lol!

Joe Zollars

These posts no longer represent my beliefs and I in no way endorse their contents.
JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2004, 09:19:35 AM »

err I didn't mean the closing of the churches was funny, but that Linus' post was funny.  Just a clarification.

Joe Zollars

These posts no longer represent my beliefs and I in no way endorse their contents.
JoeS
(aka StMarkEofE)
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

Global Warming Enthusiast.

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2004, 09:31:36 AM »

There could be many reasons for this:

-First and foremost scandals.
-Vatican II fallout,
-Moving to another state to avoid high taxation.
-Having smaller families,
-Falling away from the faith through mixed marriages,
Just to name only a few.

JoeS  :-

err I didn't mean the closing of the churches was funny, but that Linus' post was funny.  Just a clarification.

Joe Zollars
JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2004, 09:38:31 AM »

not to mention what God-fearing people are left in MA wanting to put some distance between themselves and that state of New Sodom.

Joe Zollars

spartacus
Elder

OC.net

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2004, 11:32:54 AM »

Vatican II?

No, I blame it on the celibate priesthood resulting in the US bishops wanting to cover up and hide the sins of their priesthood. Remember Boston is where it first became known that the Cardinal there would transfer an accused priest from one parish to another where that priest still had access to children.

The sexual abuse and cover up scandal is costing the RCC hundreds of millions of dollars in legal fees and settlement costs.

The RCC has been unable to attract seminarians into the priesthood even long before the sexual abuse and cover up scandal came to light. Also even by the RCC's own admission, the priesthood today has a very high number of homosexual men...a number of these men are sexually active.

On top of all this in MA we see where their own Senator who says he is Catholic, has been divorced, not anulled, is staunchly pro-abortion and continues to receive Holy Communion.

SO what we have is a Church whose own preists and bishops commit grievous sins with little recognition or apparent repentance...while at the same time allowing public figures to publicly disimiss Church teachings and still receive all the sacrements.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2004, 11:35:41 AM by spartacus » Logged
spartacus
Elder

OC.net

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2004, 11:45:34 AM »

In Northern Illinois two days ago an Appellate Judge ordered the RC DIocese of Rockford to release documents concerning the transfer of Father Campobella toa mental Health institution after an accusation of sexual abuse was made known tothe Diocese.

Campobella last weak pleaded guilty to sexually abusing two teen-aged girls while he was living in the rectroy at a Catholic Parish at the time of the charge.

After his release from the mental health facilty where it is known the RCC sends priests who sexually abuse children, Father Campobeelo was assigned to another parish in the same dIocese where he again had acces to children.

The diocese was previously in contempt of court for failing to provide this information and was claiming protection under the First Ammendment and the sanctity of the confessional. Prosecuters argued and the court agreed that in instances where a third party was present (in this case a lay person)and a confession was made, that such a confession has no protection.

The Diocese has still not said if it will complywith the court's ruling. Campobella was sentenced to 8 years and lawyers for the diocese were arguing that his guilty plea made the proescutors' argument moot.

Prosecutors are happy with the decision and hope the decision will help in more investigations into priests accused of sexually abusing children.
Bogoliubtsy
Archon

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2004, 11:57:21 AM »

That could certainly be taken in more than one way! Wink

But why should they bother folks up there in the People's Republic of Massachusetts?

HA! I've only heard of the People's Republic of Cambridge! Maybe they've infected the whole state.

"When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why the poor have no food, they call you a communist". - Archbishop Hélder Pessoa Câmara
Nacho
OC.net guru

Faith: EasternOrthodox

The face of Corporate America

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2004, 12:07:25 PM »

The fruits of Vatican II

I agree....I guess that's what happens to a church when you dismantle the Liturgy. I think the RC needs to regress back in time.
They could start by nullifying Vatican 2 or amending parts of it. Second, they should kick out all Bishops and Priest that are not faithful to Christ & the Catechism of the Church. They should also warn the so called Catholic Politicians that they need to shape up or ship out. The Bishops don't tell the politicians how they should run thier house, & these lowly politicians should not be telling the Bishops who should be recieving communion or not. Afterall, I thought there was a seperation of church & state??? Why the hell are these jerks interfering in Church affairs when they themselves constantly shove down our throats thier "seperation of church & state" agenda we always hear coming out from thier side of the aisle when it's perfectly fine when it comes to tearing down crosses from war memorials. I smell a double standard here.....

LOL.....All they need to do is drop the letter "M" from the state name for what the state should really be called now.

not to mention what God-fearing people are left in MA wanting to put some distance between themselves and that state of New Sodom.

Tsk Tsk Tsk......What are we to do these days. I guess the only thing we can do is drop to our knees & pray against this demonic sweep across our lands. How can God bless a land when such nonsense is taking place??? We really need to take a stand on this one.

"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world."--Mere Christianity
Amadeus
Elder

I'm a llama!

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2004, 03:12:48 PM »

Dear Spartacus:

As to the rationale for the closings, please read the statement of Archbishop Sean O'Malley, OFM, Cap, at:

http://www.rcab.org/Parish_Reconfiguration/statement040525.html

Of the 65 parishes to be phased out, 5 will remain and continue to absorb the faithful from the surrounding parishes slated to be closed by the end of 2004, reducing the total number of parishes from 357 to 297 within the 2,465 square mile territorial jurisdiction of the Boston Archdiocese, which serves slightly over 2 million Catholics.

However, I don't share your dire prognosis.

The "health" of the Boston Archdiocese, in particular, and of the Catholic Church in the U.S., in general, is well-served by this latest "reconfiguration."

It addresses past and current problems to strengthen the Church's future.

Amado
spartacus
Elder

OC.net

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2004, 05:07:42 PM »

Dear Spartacus:

As to the rationale for the closings, please read the statement of Archbishop Sean O'Malley, OFM, Cap, at:

http://www.rcab.org/Parish_Reconfiguration/statement040525.html

Of the 65 parishes to be phased out, 5 will remain and continue to absorb the faithful from the surrounding parishes slated to be closed by the end of 2004, reducing the total number of parishes from 357 to 297 within the 2,465 square mile territorial jurisdiction of the Boston Archdiocese, which serves slightly over 2 million Catholics.

However, I don't share your dire prognosis.

The "health" of the Boston Archdiocese, in particular, and of the Catholic Church in the U.S., in general, is well-served by this latest "reconfiguration."

It addresses past and current problems to strengthen the Church's future.

Amado

HAHAHAHAHA.....

Talk about "spin". Of Course its good for the Archdiocese. They need the cashto pay their legal bills and settlemenst or face going bankrupt. Do you believe in Baby Limbo too because that is what the Church says? Come on Amad....a massive closing of parishes is a massive closing of parishes no matter how you spin it. You do not dispute the declining attendance, declining donations and shortage of priests I see now that the RCC has confirmed what I have stated in other posts I see.

I appreciate your loyalty to he Church as I once was like you. I pray you will open your eyes and see the true nature of the fruit that tree now bears.

Two million converts a year as the RCC claims is not enough to make up for the many millions across the country who have stopped attending, stopped donating, or have found another Church. Heck I am still on my old RC parish and diocese lists even though I have asked them to take me off their mailing lists and told them I have now converted to Orthodox Christianity. In fact it was this written notification of my family's leaving that prompted the only response to a number of questions I asked in the previous 18 months leading up to our departure.

One day you will see what I have predicted come to be. The RCC is gasping and weasing...
JoeS
(aka StMarkEofE)
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic

Global Warming Enthusiast.

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2004, 05:34:23 PM »

Back in the 40's and 50's the RCC had a goodly supply of celibate priests ( and I dont think they were pedophiles).  In fact prior to Vatican II the priesthood was increasing, not by much but there was a steady trend where the RCC could look forward to having an adequate amount of young men entering the priesthood.  Vatican II, for whatever reasons, changed it all.  It seems all that has happened to the priesthood can be traced back to this period.

JoeS    Cool
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2004, 06:25:27 PM »

Sad news from the Archdiocese where I was baptized etc.

james

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
theodore

« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2004, 06:27:11 PM »

Back in the 40's and 50's the RCC had a goodly supply of celibate priests ( and I dont think they were pedophiles).  In fact prior to Vatican II the priesthood was increasing, not by much but there was a steady trend where the RCC could look forward to having an adequate amount of young men entering the priesthood.  Vatican II, for whatever reasons, changed it all.  It seems all that has happened to the priesthood can be traced back to this period.

JoeS    Cool
I would agree with what you wrote except for the part about the pedophiles.  The RCC has admitted that the pedophile problem goes back 50 years, and I've heard of horrendous cases of abuse, especially at some orphanages from that era.
theodore

« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2004, 06:40:41 PM »

One thing I find interesting about these closures is the fact that by Orthodox standards, many of these would be medium to large size parishes.  One of the parishes being closed has 800 families.  I believe that one of the benefits of having a married clergy is the fact that you can attract more men to the priesthood and have smaller parishes where people can be more effectively ministered to.  Some of the RCC parishes have 20,000 parishioners with maybe 3 priests to serve them.  The RCC is stretched too thin with it's low number of priests.
Ben
Unabashedly Pro-Life
OC.net guru

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2004, 07:21:20 PM »

This unfortunate event *is* the result of Vatican II and the post-Vatican II reforms. I will not deny that the liberalization of Western morality does have some to do with the problems in the Roman Catholic Church, but it is absolutely absurd to deny the fact that Vatican II and the reforms following the council have much to do with this events.

Vatican II and the post-Vatican II refroms removed the Catholic faith from Church teaching and the Mass. You can object to the dogmas of the Catholic Church, which I am sure most, if not all, of you will, but there is no doubt that the Catholic faith has been watered down again and again for ecumenism and to please our modern society.

50 years ago this wasn't happening in the USA, and 50 years ago Catholic priests were celibate - more so than today. What do you expect to happen when the Catholic faith is watered down again and again, the Catholic Mass that has produced numerous Saints is chucked out the window and a protestantized version, with only 17% of the original prayers remaining, is forced upon the faithful by liberal bishops?!

This should come of no surprise, nor should the sexual abuse scandal, Vatican II has resulted in the Catholic Church loosing organization and authority. Catholic teaching is no longer what it was, and ancient litrugies and sincere devotions are traded in for Catholic lite.

"I prefer to be accused unjustly, for then I have nothing to reproach myself with, and joyfully offer this to the good Lord. Then I humble myself at the thought that I am indeed capable of doing the thing of which I have been accused. " - Saint
TomS
Banned
Archon

Jurisdiction: GOA

"Look At Me! Look At Me Now! " - Bono

« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2004, 08:23:02 AM »

Shut em all down. Shutter 'em.
Arystarcus
High Elder

Faith: Christian

« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2004, 06:46:07 PM »

TomΣ,

Given the fact that several people on this forum are members of the Catholic Church, I do not think that the above comment needed to have been said.

I realize that that you are merely reflecting your personal opinion about the Catholic Church, but that still does mean that such comments are appropriate or that they need to be posted at all.

Please do not take this as some kind of personal attack. I just believe that if someone said the same thing about Orthodox Churches, or the churches of the GOA in particular, that you would regard such comments as offensive and completely unnecessary.

In Christ,
Aaron
Jennifer
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2004, 06:54:48 PM »

And where do you suggest the 26 million American Roman Catholics go?  

I'm thinking Orthodoxy doesn't quite have capacity for 26 million new members.  

BTW, I find Tom's comment to be very offensive in light of the fact that there are many good Roman Catholic priests and good Roman Catholic parishes.  I think even those who believe the RC is without grace would hesitate to suggest that every priest and every parish was 'infected' with the pedophilia scandal.  And from a practical viewpoint, the Roman Catholic Church is essential to life in this country.  Shut down the American RC and you shut down half of the hospitals.  You throw out on the street the millions upon millions receiving charity from Catholic Charities and St. Vincent de Paul societies.  Who's going to educate those inner city children?  Who's going to provide foot soldiers to the pro-life movement?
Ben
Unabashedly Pro-Life
OC.net guru

« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2004, 07:04:02 PM »

Who's going to educate those inner city children?  Who's going to provide foot soldiers to the pro-life movement?  

Sadly, over the past 30 years or so the Catholic Church in this nation has become less active than it used to be in such social programs. 50 years ago Catholicism was the heart of this nation, from schools to hospitals, Catholicism was everywhere.

But of all the Churches in America today, the Catholic Church does have the most social programs.

For example, my local Catholic Cathedral hands out lunch everyday to the homeless, hundreds of homeless men and women depend upon the Cathedral for their only source of food. At times the line for lunch goes for blocks. I know that my local Orthodox Cathedral doesn't have the funds or the staff to undertake this task.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2004, 07:07:23 PM by Ben » Logged

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: