OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 25, 2014, 10:04:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Oriental Orthodoxy and infant baptism, chrismation and communion  (Read 1438 times) Average Rating: 0
new_abc

« on: April 25, 2011, 12:12:27 PM »

Is infant baptism, chrismation and communion practiced in all the Oriental Orthodox Churches (Coptic, Syriac, Armenian etc)?

Are they all done on the same day, including communion? How old is the child usually when he/she has his/her baptism, chrismation and communion?

Also, is communion given in both kinds (body and blood) to infants?

Similarly, is communion given in both kinds (body and blood) to the rest of the laymen (older than infants)?

I would like to know if this is case for all the Oriental Orthodox Churches (Coptic, Syriac, Armenian etc)
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 12:15:26 PM by new_abc » Logged
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2011, 12:20:52 PM »

I cannot speak with absolute certainty, but I am almost certain that they all have the same practice as the Byzantine liturgical tradition.
CoptoGeek
of Alexandria, the Christ-loving City
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2011, 01:05:19 PM »

Is infant baptism, chrismation and communion practiced in all the Oriental Orthodox Churches (Coptic, Syriac, Armenian etc)?

Are they all done on the same day, including communion? How old is the child usually when he/she has his/her baptism, chrismation and communion?

Also, is communion given in both kinds (body and blood) to infants?

Similarly, is communion given in both kinds (body and blood) to the rest of the laymen (older than infants)?

I would like to know if this is case for all the Oriental Orthodox Churches (Coptic, Syriac, Armenian etc)

In the OO Church, the infant is Baptized, Chrismated, and Communed on the same day; males at 40 days and females at 80 days for the Copts, Ethiopians, & Eritreans. I think for Armenians, its 80 days for both; not sure about Syriac & Indian Tradition. For Copts, only the Holy Blood is given at such a young age as they cannot take solids yet. But as soon as they can, they are given the Holy Body as well.

For all the OO Churches, Communion is given in both kinds.

"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa
CoptoGeek
of Alexandria, the Christ-loving City
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2011, 01:29:14 PM »

I cannot speak with absolute certainty, but I am almost certain that they all have the same practice as the Byzantine liturgical tradition.

Alveus Lacuna, in the Byzantine Tradition are both males & females Baptised at 40 days?

"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2011, 07:09:48 PM »

I honestly don't know for sure, but I think so.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2011, 03:36:13 PM »

In Poland there is no general date  for baptism.
Tags: baptism Chrismation 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: