OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 27, 2014, 09:43:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Any books of the Bible that resonate with you more?  (Read 1626 times) Average Rating: 0
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« on: April 25, 2011, 10:54:05 AM »

Any of them? I personally am refraining from much of the New Testament because so much of what Christ says and does resonates to me on a completely different personal level than I find a comparison with OT books. That's not to say I don't hold the OT higher, but I think it's unfair to compare the wisdom of old to the wisdom of God. Correct me if I am wrong.

I've been reading through the Book of Job again and it brings to my attention just how wonderful this book is. Even on it's own, it would easily rate as one of the greatest books in all of human history, it's an all time classic. It's haunting, beautiful, mysterious, thought-provoking, etc. What it means to me puts theodicy in an entirely different perspective. Instead of questioning God for suffering, I instead turn the question back onto myself; God acts like the great Questioner, reversing the roles and we answer the questions He gives us. It does put my mind at rest in regards to human suffering, maybe not so much child suffering, but on an adult level it does. I find solace in knowing God's Will is itself a mystery.

Another book I find just as fascinating is Ecclesiastes. I believe this is the only book in the Bible where God does not speak? But this philosopher is in the vain pursuit of meaning and purpose. Here is where any God-substitutes merely fail; the emptiness of removing God to a position of remoteness and irrelevance. This very emptiness that modern man tries to cover up with thousands of distractions, and Ecclesiastes blows it the cover.

I am very thankful that the Jews included these two books in their canon.

I guess a third book that always resonated with me was Revelation, and this was the only book of the Bible I ever read as a child. It fascinated me with its imagery and symbolism that would allow my imagination to run free, to thinking of the vision of the New Jerusalem in all its glory. It doesn't resonate to me that much anymore as it did as a child, but I do turn to it to remind myself of the awesome redemptive power of God and his love and mercy for His people.

Proverbs and Sirach I also highly enjoy for its wisdom and guidance.

I don't think there is a bad book in the Bible, but there are few the resonate with me more.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2011, 11:32:48 AM »

My favorites, hands down, are Ecclesiastes and Proverbs.

Since I spend a lot of time writing and studying to draft intel reports and research papers, I often feel that the more I know, the more futile of an exercise the acquisition of knowledge is. Ecclesiastes completely speaks to me on this level, almost to a point where I just want to eat and drink and be satisfied with my work (work that I sometimes wish has nothing to do with the acquisition of knowledge!). There are so many great verses that I quote over and over again. For some reason, this book also works for my secular friends, who still feel that same emptiness, even if they don't think that it's because of a lack of belief in God.

And Proverbs...always the little bits that help me reflect on my behavior! If I don't have a lot of time, I'll open to Proverbs and reflect on 5 verses.

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
sainthieu
Abstractor of the Quintessence
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2011, 11:39:59 AM »

John. Hands down.
recent convert
Orthodox Chrisitan
OC.net guru

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian (N.A.)

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2011, 11:50:37 AM »

The Gospels, the NT (minus Revelation, though I still revere Revelation of course) overall, Ecclesiastes, Ruth, Job, Jonah, Daniel, Zecharia. The OT is most variable especially in the prophets and even in the law as Deuteronomy 5 & 6, Leviticus 19 etc. really inspire for ex.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 11:52:51 AM by recent convert » Logged

Antiochian OC N.A.
recent convert
Orthodox Chrisitan
OC.net guru

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian (N.A.)

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2011, 11:51:25 AM »

« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 11:52:22 AM by recent convert » Logged

Antiochian OC N.A.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2011, 12:29:57 PM »

IV Maccabbees

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2011, 12:51:44 PM »

I always enjoyed the Wisdom books (Proverbs, Ecclesiastes, and, once I left the Protestant canon behind, Wisdom of Solomon, and Sirach).

Judges and 1 & 2 Kingdoms (or Samuel, as it were) were my favorites of the Historical books.

Daniel and Revelation always ranked high for me among the Prophetic books (I firmly believe the Archangel Michael protected me from some of the stranger aberrations of Evangelical Eschatology through these books [that is, I was never a dispensationalist, Chiliaist, or a believer in any of the theories of the Rapture], and Revelation went a large way to quelling any objections I might have had lingering over the place of the Theotokos and the saints in the Church).

St John's has always been my favorite gospel and his letters are my favorite Epistles (though my favorite Bible verse since I was a wee one comes from St Paul, Galatians 2:20).

Exodus is my favorite book of the Law.

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

that is not the teaching of...

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2011, 03:48:31 PM »

Probably James from the New Testament, and Tobit from the Old Testament. I guess I just like wisdom literature disguised as something other than wisdom literature Smiley

"I haven't done anything wrong, and I won't be hounded by you and your soulless minions of orthodoxy! I haven't broken any laws... except perhaps the laws of nature." - Dr. Elias Giger
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2011, 03:51:27 PM »

Probably James from the New Testament, and Tobit from the Old Testament. I guess I just like wisdom literature disguised as something other than wisdom literature Smiley

Kings, Isaiah, Psalms, Matthew and Hebrews...this year anyway   Smiley
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 03:52:15 PM by elijahmaria » Logged

Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2011, 03:53:16 PM »

Same here.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2011, 03:58:26 PM »

In order: Gospels, Psalms, Romans, Hebrews, 1 and 2 Corinthians, Kingdoms, Isaiah, Tobit, Ezekiel, 2 Esdras, Apocalypse, Wisdom of Solomon, Micah.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
CBGardner
Site Supporter
High Elder

Ask w/ tears, seek w/ obedience, knock w/ patience

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2011, 05:33:09 PM »

Ecclesiastes has always been a long time favorite. But lately it has been Genesis and Acts. I love how much is in Genesis. It is so much more than story/history; it has layers. So many allegories about life and human existence. Plus I love imagining the story of life in my mind as it unfolds. The earth was so different back then and humanity was so new, it seems almost like another reality altogether. Then over and over you see the same story of something needing redemption and God providing. Same reasons I love Acts. Visualizing Paul giving some sweeping speech with all the humility in the world.
Guess I like my Bible how I like my movies; great stories that have multiple layers Smiley  laugh

Authentic zeal is not directed towards anything but union in Christ, or against anything but our own fallenness.

"Beardliness is next to Godliness."- Asteriktos
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2011, 05:42:17 PM »

OT--Genesis & the Psalms
NT--Gospel according to St. John and the Epistle to the Galatians

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

fleem
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2011, 06:06:32 PM »

Jeremiah

The Gospel According to St. John

Charlie Rose: "If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?"

Fran Lebowitz: "Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisified."

spcasuncoast.org
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2011, 08:31:54 PM »

John. Hands down.

+1

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2011, 08:58:03 PM »

The Epistle of St. James and the Book of Daniel.

I've always loved this books and appreciated St. James and the Prophet Daniel. I loved them both, as people, even as a Protestant. Then I became Orthodox and got to have a devotion to them and actually know them. Then, of course, becoming Orthodox, I got to see the FULL book of Daniel...which is beautiful! The Song of the Three Youths is beautiful, as is the tale of Susanna. I also love Bel and the Dragon.

I must also say I love the Gospel of St. John the Theologian, and have a bit of a devotion to him, as well. The Gospel of St. Matthew as well. I would be hard-pressed to pick an absolute favorite between the two, because I love them both for completely opposite reasons!

I also love Tobit and Ezekiel's vision of the dry bones is probably my favorite vision narrative in the OT, immediately before Isaiah's vision of the Heavenly Temple. I also love the last part of 3 Kings and the first of 4 Kings for the narrative of Elijah, who I also love. As well as the section of 2 Chronicles which records the letter Elijah sent to Jehoram after Elijah had been taken into Paradise by the fiery chariot.

St. Paul's Epistle to the Hebrews is probably my favorite NT epistle.

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
Kasatkin fan
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA - Archdiocese of Canada

« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2011, 12:31:12 AM »

Ecclesiastes has always spoken to me about the uselessness of the material. I also like Genesis and Daniel in the OT, St. John and Acts in the New.
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2011, 01:08:44 AM »

My favorites, hands down, are Ecclesiastes and Proverbs.

Me too!  Along with the Gospels and St. James.

And Proverbs...always the little bits that help me reflect on my behavior! If I don't have a lot of time, I'll open to Proverbs and reflect on 5 verses.

Here's a unique way that I read Proverbs that you may like as well.  So, there are typically 31 days in a month and there are 31 chapters in Proverbs.  Sooo, what I do is read one corresponding chapter a day.  For example, today is the 26th so you would read chapter Proverbs 26.  On months that don't have 31 days, I'll read two chapters on the last day of that month.  Hope you liked that.  Smiley

Gabriel

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2011, 03:50:59 AM »

Wisdom of Solomon

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
Robert W
Self-appointed forum herald
Elder

Jurisdiction: Finland

Love is no feeling

« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2011, 06:53:43 AM »

+1
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2011, 07:21:27 AM »

Here's a unique way that I read Proverbs that you may like as well.  So, there are typically 31 days in a month and there are 31 chapters in Proverbs.  Sooo, what I do is read one corresponding chapter a day.  For example, today is the 26th so you would read chapter Proverbs 26.  On months that don't have 31 days, I'll read two chapters on the last day of that month.  Hope you liked that.  Smiley

Gabriel
I never thought of it that way! Perhaps I'll try that next month, and end with one of my favorite chapters in the Bible.

And for those who are giving John points, Proverbs +2. So there.  Kiss

(Favorite NT books are John, Romans, and Corinthians.)

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
stavros_388
OC.net guru

Faith: +

« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2011, 09:56:32 AM »

If I were to pick three... Ecclesiastes for sure, the Epistle of James, and the Gospel of John. And the Psalms. Okay, that's four.

"The kingdom of heaven is virtuous life, just as the torment of hell is passionate habits." - St. Gregory of Sinai

"Our idea of God tells us more about ourselves than about Him." - Thomas Merton
CBGardner
Site Supporter
High Elder

Ask w/ tears, seek w/ obedience, knock w/ patience

« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2011, 11:02:58 AM »

Man, Ecclesiastes is getting some strong love.

Authentic zeal is not directed towards anything but union in Christ, or against anything but our own fallenness.

"Beardliness is next to Godliness."- Asteriktos
bogdan
OC.net guru

« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2011, 11:20:36 AM »

Sirach and Wisdom of Solomon. Amazing books.

3/4 Esdras / Apocalypse of Ezra is also fascinating.
Valdamarr
Prodigal Catechumen

Faith: Fear and Trembling
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2011, 11:46:28 AM »

Same here.

Ditto; Tobit is a very moving book.  Although I am also very fond of Sirach and Wisdom.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: