OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 02, 2014, 04:21:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: First Pascha  (Read 1111 times) Average Rating: 0
Toraak

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Archangel Michael

« on: April 24, 2011, 01:10:28 PM »

Christ is risen!

I've posted a few times on here before... I recently moved to Louisville and have begun to attend the Church there. I attended as many of the services of Holy Week as I could and I must say that it has truly been a blessed experience! I could really feel the anticipation leading up to Pascha. I am very happy with my new home. My military situation has stabilized and it looks like I'll be able to live here for awhile. Pray for God to give the strength to continue my journey and one day be united to his one Holy, Catholic. and Apostolic Church.  Smiley
authio
Elder

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2011, 01:11:51 PM »

Indeed he is risen!  Keep up your faithful attendance, become acquainted with the priest, and the Lord will lead you on the right path.

Christ is risen!
Cristo ha resucitado!
Христос Воскресе!
Χριστός Ανέστη!
 المسيح قام
TheMathematician
Banished and Disgraced
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Serbian

Formerly known as Montalo

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2011, 01:13:55 PM »

I hope that you find sucess on your journey, and I shall pray for you.

I hope that you find that stregnth to enter communion, and that both our journeys end up benefical for both of as, as I am an inquirer as well

SCREW BON JOVI!
William
Protokentarchos

Faith: None

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2011, 02:28:32 PM »

I went to St. Michael on Great and Holy Saturday here in Louisville. Is that the church you went to?

Disregard that. Seems kind of a creepy thing to ask on the internet. Anyway, God bless you on your journey.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 02:41:51 PM by William » Logged

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant

Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift. - Matt. 5:24
Toraak

Archangel Michael

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2011, 04:30:18 PM »

I went to St. Michael on Great and Holy Saturday here in Louisville. Is that the church you went to?

Disregard that. Seems kind of a creepy thing to ask on the internet. Anyway, God bless you on your journey.

No offense taken. That is indeed the Church I attend! I was there for the morning service on Holy Saturday. It was so beautiful when the priests scattered the flowers and bay leaves (?) around the Church. I hope you enjoyed the service! Were you able to come back for Pascha?
William
Protokentarchos

Faith: None

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2011, 04:55:56 PM »

No. My parents aren't too enthusiastic about allowing me to regularly attend services.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant

Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift. - Matt. 5:24
mabsoota
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2011, 05:26:18 PM »

for all enquirers: keep visiting the churches, and keep reading the Bible and praying (especially when you can't get to church). it is good to use prayer books to help you in praying regularly; you can probably get them from churches or on the internet. my church has one called the 'agpeya', which is beautiful, i suggest you use the one used by your churches.
may God lead you. seek and you will find.
Toraak

Archangel Michael

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2011, 06:11:53 PM »

No. My parents aren't too enthusiastic about allowing me to regularly attend services.

I will keep you in my prayers.

for all enquirers: keep visiting the churches, and keep reading the Bible and praying (especially when you can't get to church). it is good to use prayer books to help you in praying regularly; you can probably get them from churches or on the internet. my church has one called the 'agpeya', which is beautiful, i suggest you use the one used by your churches.
may God lead you. seek and you will find.

Great advice! I've been mostly using the Jordanville Prayer Book and it's growing on me.  Smiley If only I could find one Bible translation and stick to it.
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2011, 06:13:18 PM »

Toraak,

Wonderful news.  This was my first Holy Week/Pascha, and I can say that it was a very moving experience.  Glad to hear your military situation has stabilized to the point where you can further pursue entry into the Church.  

William,

I'm confident you are viewing your situation in this light, but continue to treat this period as a blessing (as difficult as that may be), one in which you encounter substantial adversity and continue to grow in faith. Persevere!

Prayers for you both.

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
jaderook

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2011, 06:41:55 PM »

Truly He is risen!

I don't post much here- as I don't tend to translate well over the internet.  Anyway- that's my parish!  Seriously- introduce yourself to me sometime- if I haven't met you already.  My husband and I have been at St. Michael's for five years now and we're in the choir.  I'm so glad you could come and I'm glad you're feeling at home here!     

I especially loved the way Fr. Alexis did the sermon of St. John Chyrsostom this year- it was very enthusiastic.  Have you introduced yourself to Fr. yet?  I know they have classes during the week.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2011, 06:49:09 PM »

Truly, He is risen!

My first Pascha as well. Here is a snippet of an email sent to my Priest with redactions to protect the IDs of others:

I've spoken to M. about the general sadness I've been more
predisposed to over the course of Lent. He said wait till Great and
Holy Saturday and see if anything changes. Being a forever skeptic, I
took it with a grain of salt. The moving solemnity of the Lenten
services certainly hit home, and to use a word abused in English, were
awesome. But I wasn't sure exactly how "celebratory" and joyous the
Paschal services could be. I was doubtful and frankly a bit cynical
about the tone services might hit. Perhaps piously saccharine at best.
I kept my thoughts and doubts to myself.

Was I ever wrong. I turned to B. toward the end of Matins and said I
felt like clapping and cheering. He said he thought the exact same
thing. I am prideful and hate being wrong. I am so glad I was
absolutely so wrong this time.

It was truly incredible and joyful. Just when I think there is not another "reason" to become Orthodox, I am surprised to find another gem.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2011, 09:33:43 PM »

Christ is risen!

I've posted a few times on here before... I recently moved to Louisville and have begun to attend the Church there. I attended as many of the services of Holy Week as I could and I must say that it has truly been a blessed experience! I could really feel the anticipation leading up to Pascha. I am very happy with my new home. My military situation has stabilized and it looks like I'll be able to live here for awhile. Pray for God to give the strength to continue my journey and one day be united to his one Holy, Catholic. and Apostolic Church.  Smiley

That the Lord our God may unite his servant to his holy, catholic and apostolic Church -- Lord, have mercy!

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
mabsoota
Archon

Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2011, 05:39:40 AM »

congratulations, orthonorm, many years!
toraak, i highly recommend the orthodox study Bible (published by thomas nelson publishers).
it's maybe a bit lacking if you're training to be a priest, otherwise it's full of wisdom and until you've read it several times (plus all the commentaries), you shouldn't need anything else.
 Smiley
sainthieu
Abstractor of the Quintessence
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2011, 12:18:42 PM »

"...it has truly been a blessed experience!"

Dear Toraak:

Yes, it is a blessed experience. Pascha is very special in that it re-connects us to the true meaning behind our worship. It re-connects us to Christ, reminds us of our roots, and prepares us for another year of worship.

Christ is Risen!
Toraak

Archangel Michael

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2011, 01:48:05 PM »

Thanks! Everyone.  Smiley  I'm trying very hard to get past my intellectual Christianity, humble myself, and become a member of the true Church.

Truly He is risen!

I don't post much here- as I don't tend to translate well over the internet.  Anyway- that's my parish!  Seriously- introduce yourself to me sometime- if I haven't met you already.  My husband and I have been at St. Michael's for five years now and we're in the choir.  I'm so glad you could come and I'm glad you're feeling at home here!     

I especially loved the way Fr. Alexis did the sermon of St. John Chyrsostom this year- it was very enthusiastic.  Have you introduced yourself to Fr. yet?  I know they have classes during the week.

Wow! Lots of people from St. Michael's here.  Smiley  Father Alexis and Presbytera Anna are wonderful and have been very kind to me. I'm not sure if I've met you yet. Forgive me, I'm very shy so I'm only slowly getting to know others there. Also, I'm very bad with names.  Embarrassed  That being said, I'm working hard to try to overcome this and everyone I've met have been very kind! I'm should be at Vespers tonight.
jaderook

« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2011, 04:30:11 PM »

Thanks! Everyone.  Smiley  I'm trying very hard to get past my intellectual Christianity, humble myself, and become a member of the true Church.

Truly He is risen!

Wow! Lots of people from St. Michael's here.  Smiley  Father Alexis and Presbytera Anna are wonderful and have been very kind to me. I'm not sure if I've met you yet. Forgive me, I'm very shy so I'm only slowly getting to know others there. Also, I'm very bad with names.  Embarrassed  That being said, I'm working hard to try to overcome this and everyone I've met have been very kind! I'm should be at Vespers tonight.
  It's all right.  It took my husband and I quite a while to meet people- I'm fairly introverted myself.  Unfortunately, I can't make it to Vespers tonight- but I plan on going tomorrow.  I look forward to meeting you!   Smiley
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: