OrthodoxChristianity.net
January 27, 2015, 05:20:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: THE OFFICE OF THE GREAT VESPERS OF PENTECOST  (Read 1189 times) Average Rating: 0
Ben
Unabashedly Pro-Life
OC.net guru

« on: May 26, 2004, 12:53:15 PM »

I would love more information on the historical development of the Great Vespers of Pentecost. I just read the text, and it sound truly amazing! I really can't wait until this Sunday, when I will be able to expirence it first hand, but I was just wondering the history behind this service.

"I prefer to be accused unjustly, for then I have nothing to reproach myself with, and joyfully offer this to the good Lord. Then I humble myself at the thought that I am indeed capable of doing the thing of which I have been accused. " - Saint
Mor Ephrem
The Fourteenth Apostle
Section Moderator
Stratopedarches

"The grace of God has appeared..."

« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2004, 07:33:40 PM »

Are you talking about the "Kneeling Prayers" (Byzantine rite), or the Vespers served on the eve of Pentecost Sunday?
« Last Edit: May 26, 2004, 07:34:15 PM by Mor Ephrem » Logged

"...you could not bear, Master, in the compassion of your mercy to watch the human race being tyrannised by the devil, but you came and saved us. We acknowledge your grace, we proclaim your mercy, we do not conceal your benevolence..."
Ben
Unabashedly Pro-Life
OC.net guru

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2004, 08:10:17 PM »

Yes, the "kneeling" prayers usually done right after Divine Liturgy on Pentecost Sunday, here is a link to the text:

www.goarch.org/en/chapel/liturgical_texts/pentecost_kneel.asp?printit=yes

"I prefer to be accused unjustly, for then I have nothing to reproach myself with, and joyfully offer this to the good Lord. Then I humble myself at the thought that I am indeed capable of doing the thing of which I have been accused. " - Saint
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: