Author Topic: THE OFFICE OF THE GREAT VESPERS OF PENTECOST  (Read 1236 times)

Offline Ben

• Unabashedly Pro-Life
  • OC.net guru
THE OFFICE OF THE GREAT VESPERS OF PENTECOST
« on: May 26, 2004, 12:53:15 PM »
I would love more information on the historical development of the Great Vespers of Pentecost. I just read the text, and it sound truly amazing! I really can't wait until this Sunday, when I will be able to expirence it first hand, but I was just wondering the history behind this service.
"I prefer to be accused unjustly, for then I have nothing to reproach myself with, and joyfully offer this to the good Lord. Then I humble myself at the thought that I am indeed capable of doing the thing of which I have been accused. " - Saint

Offline Mor Ephrem

• The Fourteenth Apostle and Judge of the Interwebs
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
  • "In those days I will pour out my Spirit..."
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
Re:THE OFFICE OF THE GREAT VESPERS OF PENTECOST
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2004, 07:33:40 PM »
Are you talking about the "Kneeling Prayers" (Byzantine rite), or the Vespers served on the eve of Pentecost Sunday?
« Last Edit: May 26, 2004, 07:34:15 PM by Mor Ephrem »
"Do not tempt the Mor thy Mod."

Mor no longer posts on OCNet.  He follows threads, posts his responses daily, occasionally starts threads, and responds to private messages when and as he wants.  But he really isn't around anymore.

Offline Ben

• Unabashedly Pro-Life
  • OC.net guru
Re:THE OFFICE OF THE GREAT VESPERS OF PENTECOST
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2004, 08:10:17 PM »
Yes, the "kneeling" prayers usually done right after Divine Liturgy on Pentecost Sunday, here is a link to the text:

www.goarch.org/en/chapel/liturgical_texts/pentecost_kneel.asp?printit=yes
"I prefer to be accused unjustly, for then I have nothing to reproach myself with, and joyfully offer this to the good Lord. Then I humble myself at the thought that I am indeed capable of doing the thing of which I have been accused. " - Saint