OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 25, 2014, 11:26:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New "Psalter for Prayer" published by Jordanville  (Read 2167 times) Average Rating: 0
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« on: April 21, 2011, 10:18:54 PM »

This was actually released on April 1st but I didn't see an announcement for it. This is David James' edition of the Psalter, where he endeavoured to adapt the Coverdale psalms to conform to the LXX. It was previously available on Lulu as The Russian Orthodox Psalter, though I believe the new edition has been tweaked considerably. It is a big book (8.5" by 11") so I'm hoping they come out with a pocket version; however the reason for the size is partly because of the loads of supplemental material included, explaining how to pray the Psalter, the significance of the Psalms, some commentary, etc., all from traditional sources.

Here is the link for it.

I'm a little on the fence about buying this because these are big and expensive books and I still want to hear some reviews/ see some samples for the Psalter recently produced by Holy Apostles' Convent just to compare.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011, 12:10:56 AM »

I actually like how my Jordanville Prayer book matches with the Holy Transfiguration Monastery translation. The more translations that come out, the harder it becomes to learn the Psalter. Everyone should be working toward a common translation for liturgical services, not producing new ones all the time. How do they ever expect us to memorize the psalms?
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2011, 02:21:39 AM »

I actually like how my Jordanville Prayer book matches with the Holy Transfiguration Monastery translation. The more translations that come out, the harder it becomes to learn the Psalter. Everyone should be working toward a common translation for liturgical services, not producing new ones all the time. How do they ever expect us to memorize the psalms?

We should all learn Greek...?

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
jamesdm49

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 02:32:21 PM »

Here is a link to a review in the current issue of Sourozh Journal

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 03:29:55 PM »

I should get a new psalter, I had a copy but lost it.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 03:30:48 PM by biro » Logged

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2012, 04:07:02 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

I use the Coptic Agpeya prayer book, and it follows the uniquely Coptic translations of the Psalter into English, and there are noticeable differences in the flavor and tone, while not necessarily the implicit meaning.  I enjoy the Coptic version then a bit better then the NKJV of the Orthodox Study Bible, or the Brenton Septuagint which I have also, or other English translations  of the Psalms.  I've noticed the Coptic version has a more musical flow when singing these Psalms then other translations.

That being said, I am very curious to read an example of this new Jordanville translation, does anyone have a copy they can post an excerpt for comparison so we can see what has been changed or updated?

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2012, 11:00:22 PM »

We should all learn Greek...?

Absolutely. Then, there won't be a problem.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
jamesdm49

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2012, 05:59:20 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

I use the Coptic Agpeya prayer book, and it follows the uniquely Coptic translations of the Psalter into English, and there are noticeable differences in the flavor and tone, while not necessarily the implicit meaning.  I enjoy the Coptic version then a bit better then the NKJV of the Orthodox Study Bible, or the Brenton Septuagint which I have also, or other English translations  of the Psalms.  I've noticed the Coptic version has a more musical flow when singing these Psalms then other translations.

That being said, I am very curious to read an example of this new Jordanville translation, does anyone have a copy they can post an excerpt for comparison so we can see what has been changed or updated?

stay blessed,
habte selassie

I looked at the Coptic Agpeya available online here:

http://www.stmark.org.uk/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_details&gid=3&Itemid=86

I will quote Ps 50 from that version of the Agpeya, which appears to be almost identical to the translation of The Psalter According to the Seventy of Holy Transfiguration Monastery in Boston, and then the same psalm from the new Jordanville version, A Psalter for Prayer. That should give you some idea of the differences and similarities between the versions.

David James

AGPEYA VERSION OF PS 50:

1 Have mercy on me, O God, according to Thy great mercy; and according to the multitude of Thy compassion blot out my transgression.
2 Wash me thoroughly from mine iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin.
3 For I know mine iniquity, and my sin is ever before me.
4 Against Thee only have I sinned and done this evil before Thee, that Thou mightiest be justified in Thy words, and prevail when Thou art judged.
5 For behold, I was conceived in iniquities, and in sins did my mother bear me.
6 For behold, Thou hast loved truth; the hidden and secret things of Thy wisdom hast Thou made manifest unto me.
7 Thou shalt sprinkle me with hyssop, and I shall be made clean; Thou shalt wash me, and I shall be made whiter than snow.
8 Thou shalt make me to hear joy and gladness; the bones that be humbled, they shall rejoice.
9 Turn Thy face away from my sins, and blot out all mine iniquities.
10 Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me.
11 Cast me not away from Thy presence, and take not Thy Holy Spirit from me.
12 Restore unto me the joy of Thy salvation, and with Thy governing Spirit establish me.
13 I shall teach transgressors Thy ways, and the
ungodly shall turn back unto Thee.
14 Deliver me from bloodguiltiness, O God, Thou God of my salvation; my tongue shall rejoice in Thy righteousness.
15 O Lord, Thou shalt open my lips, and my mouth shall declare Thy praise.
16 For if Thou hadst desired sacrifice, I had given it; with wholeburnt offerings Thou shalt not be pleased.
17 A sacrifice unto God is a broken spirit; a heart that is broken and humbled God will not despise.
18 Do good, O Lord, in Thy good pleasure unto Sion, and let the walls of Jerusalem be built.
19 Then shalt Thou be pleased with a sacrifice of righteousness, with oblation and whole-burnt offerings.
20 Then shall they offer bullocks upon Thine altar. Alleluia.

PS 50 from the Boston Psalter:

Psalm L. 50.
For the End: A Psalm of David, When Nathan the Prophet Came unto Him, When He Went in unto Beersabee, the Wife of Urias.

1 Have mercy on me, O God, according to Thy great mercy; and according to the multitude of Thy compassions blot out my transgression.
2 Wash me thoroughly from mine iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin.
3 For I know mine iniquity, and my sin is ever before me.
4 Against Thee only have I sinned and done this evil before Thee, that Thou mightest be justified in Thy words, and prevail when Thou art judged.
5 For behold, I was conceived in iniquities, and in sins did my mother bear me.
6 For behold, Thou hast loved truth; the hidden and secret things of Thy wisdom hast Thou made manifest unto me.
7 Thou shalt sprinkle me with hyssop, and I shall be made clean; Thou shalt wash me, and I shall be made whiter than snow.
8 Thou shalt make me to hear joy and gladness; the bones that be humbled, they shall rejoice.
9 Turn Thy face away from my sins, and blot out all mine iniquities.
10 Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me.
11 Cast me not away from Thy presence, and take not Thy Holy Spirit from me.
12 Restore unto me the joy of Thy salvation, and with Thy governing Spirit establish me.
13 I shall teach transgressors Thy ways, and the ungodly shall turn back unto Thee.
14 Deliver me from blood-guiltiness, O God, Thou God of my salvation; my tongue shall rejoice in Thy righteousness.
15 O Lord, Thou shalt open my lips, and my mouth shall declare Thy praise.
16 For if Thou hadst desired sacrifice, I had given it; with whole-burnt offerings Thou shalt not be pleased.
17 A sacrifice unto God is a broken spirit; a heart that is broken and humbled God will not despise.
18 Do good, O Lord, in Thy good pleasure unto Sion, and let the walls of Jerusalem be builded.
19 Then shalt Thou be pleased with a sacrifice of righteousness, with oblation and whole-burnt offerings.
20 Then shall they offer bullocks upon Thine altar.

Ps 50 from A Psalter for Prayer:

Psalm 50. Miserere mei, Deus.
Unto the end, a Psalm of instruction by David,
when Nathan the prophet came unto him,
after he had gone in to Bathsheba, the wife of Uriah.

HAVE mercy upon me, O God, after Thy great goodness, and according to the multitude of Thy mercies do away mine offenses.
4 Wash me thoroughly from my wickedness, and cleanse me from my sin.
5 For I know my fault, and my sin is ever before me.
6 Against Thee only have I sinned, and done evil before Thee, that Thou mightest be justified in Thy words, and prevail when Thou art judged.
7 For behold, I was conceived in wickedness, and in sins did my mother bear me.
8 For behold, Thou hast loved truth; the hidden and secret things of Thy wisdom hast Thou revealed unto me.
9 Thou shalt sprinkle me with hyssop, and I shall be made clean; Thou shalt wash me, and I shall become whiter than snow.
10 Thou shalt give joy and gladness to my hearing; the bones that have been humbled will rejoice.
11 Turn Thy face from my sins, and put out all my misdeeds.
12 Make me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me.
13 Cast me not away from Thy presence, and take not Thy Holy Spirit from me.
14 O give me the comfort of Thy salvation, and stablish me with Thy governing Spirit.
15 Then shall I teach Thy ways unto the wicked, and the ungodly shall be converted unto Thee.
16 Deliver me from blood-guiltiness, O God, the God of my salvation, and my tongue shall rejoice in Thy righteousness.
17 O Lord, open Thou my lips, and my mouth shall show forth Thy praise.
18 For if Thou hadst desired sacrifice, I would have given it; but Thou delightest not in burnt offerings.
19 The sacrifice unto God is a contrite spirit; a contrite and humble heart God shall not despise.
20 O Lord, be favorable in Thy good will unto Zion, and let the walls of Jerusalem be builded up.
21 Then shalt Thou be pleased with the sacrifice of righteousness, with oblation and whole-burnt offerings; then shall they offer young bullocks upon Thine altar.

NOTE: Verse numbering in A Psalter for Prayer follows the verse numbering of Alfred Rahlf's critical edition of the Greek (as well as the Latin and Church Slavonic)
KShaft

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2012, 02:09:49 AM »

I think that Asser guy's is better than the ROCOR one thus far (and better than the HTM too). I actually prefer the HTM translation on that example.
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2012, 03:18:43 AM »

+1,000

ETA: I'm very glad to read that the Jordanville Prayer book matches with HTM's translation.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 03:19:43 AM by Cognomen » Logged

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: