OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 23, 2014, 06:22:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Censing during the Great Doxology  (Read 1547 times) Average Rating: 0
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« on: August 30, 2009, 04:18:03 PM »

I have been to several churches and at some there is censing during the Great Doxology and at others, there is none.  I have even seen differences between churches in the same jurisidiction so I don't know if it can be broken down along "Greek" vs. "Slavic" lines.  So, what's the preferred practice of jurisdictions if there is one?

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 02:48:26 AM »

At my Parish the Deacon starts censing during the great doxology and finishes in the middle of the Epistle.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 03:30:04 AM »

My experience in the GOAA is that the priest (the celebrant) censes during the Great Doxology, unless the bishop is celebrating, it is the bishop who censes at this point.

A priest in the GOAA Metropolis of New Jersey told me that their metropolitan instructs that only the bishop should cense at the Great Doxology and he prohibits his priests from censing at the Great Doxology.  I told this to a priest who in not in that metropolis who replied that other than the essential absolute authority that a bishop possesses, censing at the Great Doxology is not just the prerogative of the bishop.

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
SDMPNS
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: raised in Metropolia which became the OCA now I belong to a GOA parish..

Praise God for the beauty of Creation

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2009, 07:00:38 AM »

No one censes at my parish during the Doxology.We do not have a deacon and the Metropolitan rarely visits
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2009, 07:50:33 AM »

At my church they generally time the Proskomide so that it is completed just before the start of the Great Doxology. There is always censing at the end of the Proskomide, which means the Bishops usually ends up censing just before, or during the beginning of the Great Doxology.
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2009, 08:37:45 AM »

At our monastery, the bells are rung at the start of the Doxology and the talanton is struck by a monk who walks around the outside of the church three times during the Doxology but there is no censing.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2009, 10:01:36 AM »

The censing that is frequently seen at the Great Doxology is indeed the censing for the end of the service of Proskomede, not a censing belonging to the Doxology itself.  Some parishes observe this rule strictly, some parishes do not (and do their end-of-Proskomede censing at the Doxology), and some parishes cense at both times.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
ilyazhito
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2011, 10:24:26 PM »

As far as i know, in the russian practice, matins are not connected to Liturgy. The Doxology censing does not happen unless the cross is brought out.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2011, 03:53:51 AM »

What cross?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
ilyazhito
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2011, 04:49:23 PM »

The cross is brought out for veneration on the Feast of the Elevation, and on the Sunday of the Cross in Lent. Did I not make the context clear?
Only when the Cross is brought out is there a censing in the Russian practice.
Tags: incense 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: