Author Topic: Orthodox church in Tajikistan closed by authorities  (Read 603 times)

Offline biro

• Excelsior
  • Site Supporter
  • Hoplitarches
  • Leave me alone, I was only singing
    • Alaska Volcanoes
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
Orthodox church in Tajikistan closed by authorities
« on: April 21, 2011, 05:19:14 PM »
The only Orthodox Christian church in a southern district of Tajikistan was closed by authorities this week. There is a possibility that the church may reopen at a later date.

From the article:
Local official Dilbar Nurova said on April 20 that the church in the Jaloliddin Rumi district of Khatlon Province was closed because it was not officially registered.

She said the congregation had submitted a registration application, but it was rejected because of "some shortcomings."
He will come again with glory to judge the living and the dead. His kingdom will have no end.

--

And if I seem a little strange, well, that's because I am

Offline Kasatkin fan

• High Elder
Re: Orthodox church in Tajikistan closed by authorities
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2011, 07:25:49 PM »
She claims that three Mosques were also closed for the same reason, however the real test regarding whether this is a ddefense or not is not whether some Mosques were closed at the same time, but rather they've closed mosques in the past during Muslim holy days, such as Ramadan.

At any rate, registration of religious buildings for the purpose of worship is stupid.

Offline Αριστοκλής

• Merarches
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2011, 09:41:37 PM »
I suspect the "shortcomings" might have something to do with "fees" or whatever they call bribes over there.
"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides

Offline AirKoryoTU-204

• Корё Ханггонг
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2011, 04:54:38 AM »
Typical of the Former Soviet Union in general.   >:(
"Remember, never to fear the power of evil more than your trust in the power and love of God."

"The first among all evils is ignorance; next comes lack of faith"