OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 20, 2014, 02:24:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SummerFest 2004: Interested?  (Read 8164 times) Average Rating: 0
JoeZollars
OC.net guru

Pray for me an unworthy sinner

« Reply #45 on: April 27, 2004, 11:06:01 AM »

I really like Greg's idea of regional fests.  For those of us in the midwest, getting back east would be a very great expense, thus impeeding a great many of us from making it.  I would imagine it is even more so for those on the west coast.

Joe Zollars

These posts no longer represent my beliefs and I in no way endorse their contents.
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #46 on: April 27, 2004, 11:07:06 AM »

Greg,

The reason I don't think there's a need for a Northern Virginia and a NY gettogether is that the people coming in from Massachusettes (sp???) and such places can carpool and/or caravan with the people living in NYC and Westchester County NY as almost all the major road arteries go through that area Smiley

Check out my personal website with 130+ articles: www.anastasioshudson.com

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching.

I served as an Orthodox priest from June 2008 to April 2013, before resigning for personal reasons
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #47 on: April 27, 2004, 11:12:47 AM »

I like the idea of a DC one (considering I live in Baltimore and work in DC)

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Twenty Nine

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #48 on: April 27, 2004, 11:21:41 AM »

Anastasios,

We could have the Northeast summerfest at St Vlad's and leave the beltway ilk to their own devices!  Cheesy

Greg

Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is gracious, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. - Philippians 4:8
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #49 on: April 27, 2004, 12:22:56 PM »

A West Coast Fest would be nice, Las Vegas has many deals for groups, there are Eastern Churches there also, though it is known as "Sin City", might be interesting.

james

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.
TomS
Banned
Archon

Jurisdiction: GOA

"Look At Me! Look At Me Now! " - Bono

« Reply #50 on: April 27, 2004, 12:50:53 PM »

The only problem is that all the administrators and moderators live on the east coast except for Prodromos John who lives in Greece Smiley  

I will be in Greece for the month of September. OC-Fest Greece!

And the great thing is that since his wife is Greek, there is no WAY that she could turn us all away when we showed up that their doorstep. 'Course poor John will get his butt kicked when we leave.

OPA!!

Then from there we can drive across the border and go see Agia Sophia.

« Last Edit: April 27, 2004, 12:57:57 PM by Tom+ú » Logged
TonyS
High Elder

« Reply #51 on: April 27, 2004, 12:51:48 PM »

Christ is risen!

David suggested Pittsburgh.  I don't know if he has lived in Pittsburgh or spent any time there.  I lived there for 5 years.   It is an interesting place.

Antiochian Village would be an option for somewhat local accomodations and that would provide a chapel and we could have some sort of services there or in a parish.  Further, we could expand it and actually have some thought-provoking activity like a speaker.  It could be a one-day program, breakfast, lunch and dinner with two talks a service and some time to hang out.  The we would be back on our own.  

I really think that whatever we do we should include:  1) prayer, and; 2) a speaker or a movie, etc., something to encourage us in our pursuits of Orthodoxy.  Last year some of us attended some services together but it would be nice if we could do so as a group

IPitts does not however represent a closer destination for most of the South (at least not my part).  I used to drive from Pitts to Atlanta and trust me, DC would have been better to Atlanta than Pitts.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2004, 12:58:33 PM by TonyS » Logged

Tómame como al tequila, de un golpe y sin pensarlo. - Ricardo Arjona

I'd be a fool to surrender when I know I can be a contender
and if everbody's a sinner then everybody can be a winner
I'll see you when yo
Bogoliubtsy
Archon

« Reply #52 on: April 27, 2004, 01:08:56 PM »

I vote for DC, and see if Fr. Victor Potapov would like to give a talk...not just because he's ROCOR. Check out a brief bio. http://www.stjohndc.org/stjohndc/English/Who/OurPriest.htm

Also, Ania might be able to speak to him about doing this.

Just a suggestion.

"When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why the poor have no food, they call you a communist". - Archbishop Hélder Pessoa Câmara
TonyS
High Elder

« Reply #53 on: April 27, 2004, 01:26:04 PM »

I said movie when I meant watch a video if a speaker were not available.

Tómame como al tequila, de un golpe y sin pensarlo. - Ricardo Arjona

I'd be a fool to surrender when I know I can be a contender
and if everbody's a sinner then everybody can be a winner
I'll see you when yo
TomS
Banned
Archon

Jurisdiction: GOA

"Look At Me! Look At Me Now! " - Bono

« Reply #54 on: April 27, 2004, 01:26:56 PM »

We need to have an OC.Net Winter Ski-Fest.

Out west would be a great place for that - Denver, Salt Lake, Seattle ... anyplace where there is a mountian and snow!
« Last Edit: April 27, 2004, 01:30:03 PM by Tom+ú » Logged
MsGuided
Pharmakolytria
Elder

St. Anastasia

« Reply #55 on: April 27, 2004, 04:25:43 PM »

Dare I ask, just *what* is the danger with the carport?

Ebor

Oh nothing, it's just a little homegrown shack that looks like it'll topple over in the wind, but it serves its purpose, pay Phil no mind  Tongue

"Forgive me that great love leads me to talking nonsense." Barsanuphius
gregory2
Elder

Most Holy Theotokos, Save Us!

« Reply #56 on: May 04, 2004, 01:08:49 AM »

You guys enjoy your east-coast get-together!  As a former easterner (Pennsylvanian) transplanted to the Northwest for the time being, I don't miss that humidity for all.  If you want a beautiful summer venue, come to the Northwest in July or August -- 85 degrees, clear and sunny, lush greenery, a ROCOR monastery on an island in Puget Sound, stunning views of Mt. Rainier, and only 20% humidity.  

Tom's idea is good, too -- a winter ski-fest Orthodox retreat.  We could even (gasp) become Canadians for a weekend and go across the border to Whistler in B.C.

"Anything that is worth accomplishing cannot be accomplished in a lifetime." - the Holy Fathers
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #57 on: May 07, 2004, 07:33:11 PM »

I used to live not too far away from you, Gregory2, in Portland, Oregon. I loved it there, but the job situation at the time was not good.

I probably won't be attending any Summerfest.

My experience here lately has not been that much fun, and I am pretty busy in the summer anyway.

The first condition of salvation is to keep the norm of the true faith and in no way to deviate from the established doctrine of the Fathers.
- Pope St. Hormisdas
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #58 on: May 08, 2004, 12:34:53 PM »

Awwww Linus you would have a blast.  Summerfest is pure fun 100%! Smiley

Check out my personal website with 130+ articles: www.anastasioshudson.com

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching.

I served as an Orthodox priest from June 2008 to April 2013, before resigning for personal reasons
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

ΠΑΝΑΓΙΑ ΣΟΥΜΕΛΑ

« Reply #59 on: May 08, 2004, 12:48:15 PM »

You guys enjoy your east-coast get-together!  As a former easterner (Pennsylvanian) transplanted to the Northwest for the time being, I don't miss that humidity for all.  If you want a beautiful summer venue, come to the Northwest in July or August -- 85 degrees, clear and sunny, lush greenery, a ROCOR monastery on an island in Puget Sound, stunning views of Mt. Rainier, and only 20% humidity.  

Tom's idea is good, too -- a winter ski-fest Orthodox retreat.  We could even (gasp) become Canadians for a weekend and go across the border to Whistler in B.C.

gregory2,
We lived for two years in Hood River, OR (until '91) and I must agree with you. I can't figure how I let my mother-in-law talk us into moving  to PA.
For a ski-fest, I prefer Mt Hood.  And if in July I could see if I can still squeeze into my wetsuit for a little boardsailing again. Man, I miss that place.

Demetri

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
gregory2
Elder

Most Holy Theotokos, Save Us!

« Reply #60 on: May 08, 2004, 05:18:33 PM »

Never been to Oregon, except during the drive here when moving about 2 years ago.  Need to make it there someday.

"Anything that is worth accomplishing cannot be accomplished in a lifetime." - the Holy Fathers
PieX
Banned

OC.net

« Reply #61 on: June 11, 2004, 08:01:09 PM »

Summerfest could not be as much fun as World Youth Day!

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]FUN!FUN!FUN![/move]

"Any baptized person who … obstinately denies or doubts any of the truths proposed for belief by divine and Catholic faith, is a heretic." (C. 1325)Â
Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #62 on: June 11, 2004, 10:16:31 PM »

PieX...BANNED.

PLease come again troll
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #63 on: June 11, 2004, 10:34:18 PM »

Thank you, Cap'n!!  Talk about someone coming in to spoil whatever he/she touched.

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: