OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 02, 2014, 10:23:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Poll
Question: Is it OK for Orthodox Christians to celebrate Halloween?
Yes - 77 (41%)
No - 78 (41.5%)
Maybe - 13 (6.9%)
Unsure - 13 (6.9%)
Other (Explain) - 7 (3.7%)
Total Voters: 188

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it OK for Orthodox Christians to celebrate Halloween?  (Read 96943 times) Average Rating: 0
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #765 on: October 02, 2012, 01:11:42 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

Many children develop an unhealthy fascination with ungodly supernatural things, and in their teenage years they become drawn to Wicca, fortune telling, tarot cards, Oija boards, and other accouterments of the occult
I doubt there are very many occult teenagers that will say they got their love of these things from Halloween. Thats like saying "I became an alcoholic by attending an English Football match."
PP

Are you saying the latter situation is impossible? English football matches aren't necessarily known for being dry, stodgy affairs. It ain't Ascot.
No, Im not saying it is impossible. Im saying it is highly unlikely. I just think there are many more dangerous examples of occultism and demonic activities that lead to teenagers doing evil things than Halloween. I think it is used as an object of attack simply because its there.

If you remove Halloween, you'll do absolutely nothing about kids and the occult.

PP
I agree that it is highly unlikely, but that is no reason that Brother Gebre Menfes Kidus shouldn't (a) raise his children spiritually focused in whichever direction he prefers, and (b) express his feelings freely in the discussion even if we disagree.  The brother isn't attacking anything, simply expressing his genuine concerns.  I'm sure most of y'all have little experience with the Caribbean and have no problem then with pirates, or are not part of Indian families and so don't see the harm in cowboys. I am a part of both communities, and I see the big picture cultural harm our society receives when we ignore, romanticize, or trivialize these serious aspect of our mutual history. In regards to the occult and black magic, I live in LA, I have see many Santaria altars and offerings, even sacrificed roosters on street corners under murals of Saints, so in some respects our brother is not too far off.  Like the Caribbeans and Indian folks, does this necessarily directly effect everyone? Not necessarily, but as the good Doctor King explained, "Injustice anywhere is injustice everywhere," so perhaps it should Wink

stay blessed,
habte selassie
Would you say that Santeria -- which I understand as essentially the worship of West African Deities -- to be equivalent in spirituality to "black magic" (which I understand to be consciously aimed at creating pain and suffering in others)?

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #766 on: October 02, 2012, 01:23:39 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

Would you say that Santeria -- which I understand as essentially the worship of West African Deities -- to be equivalent in spirituality to "black magic" (which I understand to be consciously aimed at creating pain and suffering in others)?
[/quote]

Not necessarily African.

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #767 on: October 02, 2012, 01:27:52 PM »

Rather than delving into the controversy that many people have of Halloween and its origins, I look at it on a surface level usually.

It deals in fantasy, which is absolutely not real.   Often it promotes dark themes such as witchcraft, the undead, sorcery, and death.
The candy is not healthy either.

So on that basis (and not going into controversy), we do not participate in Halloween at all.

There are so many other fun things to celebrate than this.   Sometimes we just have a "fun day" celebration at our house, where the kids make a cake and we have a leisure type of evening of reading & snacks.   Sometimes its telescope night... Sometimes its go-kart time.

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #768 on: October 02, 2012, 02:47:20 PM »

There are so many other fun things to celebrate than this.   Sometimes we just have a "fun day" celebration at our house, where the kids make a cake and we have a leisure type of evening of reading & snacks.   Sometimes its telescope night... Sometimes its go-kart time.

How do you deal with the local neighborhood, school, or your children's friends? This doesn't cause social interaction issues? Again, I am not trying to force Halloween on anyone, I already defended Brother Gebre Menfes Kidus' more controversial opinions, and as I said, my own about cowboys and pirates are probably not widely shared on this forum.  I am just curious if this separation from the local culture causes any conflict in your household with your children, and perhaps what constructive strategies you and your wife use to alleviate the potential tension? We all could learn from what works for you if that is the case Smiley

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #769 on: October 02, 2012, 02:49:34 PM »

Well, if you're brought up correctly, usually these "witches, ghouls, and monsters" are usually mocked, not necessarily glorified as they are on television.  If you know witchcraft isn't real, these costumes are on to mock them.

As for video game characters though, they're glorified  Wink Tongue

PS  One time I saw a couple dressed up as Britney Spears with a baby and a steering wheel attached to her waist.  That was hilarious and very clearly a mockery of a celebrity.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 02:50:46 PM by minasoliman » Logged

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #770 on: October 02, 2012, 04:01:49 PM »

Dressing up is always fun...especially for kids!  Forbidding them from participating in "Trick-or-Treating" is such a downer for them.

Where I live there a huge subdivisions filled to the rim with kids.  On Halloween the whole place comes alive, all laughing and giggle and running around.  It's pretty safe, so other than the really tiny ones, the older kids run around in little mobs....with a chaperon meandering behind at a distance.

Not to be a complete "stick in the mud", we put a twist on the event last year.

A few weeks prior to Halloween, we organized the kids of our chapter of the Jr. Ukrainian Orthodox League to collect cans for local homeless shelters.  We made a flyer and the kids passed this flyer out along their "trick-or-treating" routes, along with a plastic bag.

On Halloween evening, when I drove to my nieces' neighborhood, I was smiled to see a number of houses with the flyers attached to filled bags sitting by the mailboxes and front porches.

The kids then went out and instead of pulling pranks or causing mischief, they collected these canned goods.....and sometimes got some candy, as well.  It was a win-win situation.  They got to dress up, walk around with their friends....and do a good deed at the same time.

This was the flyer:

...and here are the results:

« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 04:03:44 PM by LizaSymonenko » Logged

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #771 on: October 02, 2012, 04:46:30 PM »

I do not necessarily know about the day in itself, but--unless you are a small child--how can you really celebrate on Halloween WITHOUT participating in sin? I mean, sure children can go trick-or-treating for candy, but older folks like us cannot. Instead, all we can do for fun on Halloween is drink (which I don't!), indulge in carnal desires by watching women dress slutty, and get involved in stupid mischief like vandalizing stuff--all of which is probably forbidden by Orthodoxy.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Cyrillic
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #772 on: October 02, 2012, 04:49:23 PM »

I do not necessarily know about the day in itself, but--unless you are a small child--how can you really celebrate on Halloween WITHOUT participating in sin? I mean, sure children can go trick-or-treating for candy, but older folks like us cannot. Instead, all we can do for fun on Halloween is drink (which I don't!), indulge in carnal desires by watching women dress slutty, and get involved in stupid mischief like vandalizing stuff--all of which is probably forbidden by Orthodoxy.

Drinking is forbidden by Orthodoxy since when?

"But slay her he did not, for between dream and deed laws and practicalities remain"
-Willem Elschot, 'The Marriage'.
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #773 on: October 02, 2012, 04:49:49 PM »

Or you can just have a costume party and enjoy some adult beverages in a responsible manner (you know that "wine that maketh glad the heart of man"?) and get together with friends and family and maybe make some new ones.

Or you can just continue to be a killjoy and burn out again.  

Your choice.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Toumarches

« Reply #774 on: October 03, 2012, 12:54:32 PM »

Dressing up is always fun...especially for kids!  Forbidding them from participating in "Trick-or-Treating" is such a downer for them.

Where I live there a huge subdivisions filled to the rim with kids.  On Halloween the whole place comes alive, all laughing and giggle and running around.  It's pretty safe, so other than the really tiny ones, the older kids run around in little mobs....with a chaperon meandering behind at a distance.

Not to be a complete "stick in the mud", we put a twist on the event last year.

A few weeks prior to Halloween, we organized the kids of our chapter of the Jr. Ukrainian Orthodox League to collect cans for local homeless shelters.  We made a flyer and the kids passed this flyer out along their "trick-or-treating" routes, along with a plastic bag.

On Halloween evening, when I drove to my nieces' neighborhood, I was smiled to see a number of houses with the flyers attached to filled bags sitting by the mailboxes and front porches.

The kids then went out and instead of pulling pranks or causing mischief, they collected these canned goods.....and sometimes got some candy, as well.  It was a win-win situation.  They got to dress up, walk around with their friends....and do a good deed at the same time.

This was the flyer:

...and here are the results:

That is really nice...God bless!  Smiley

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
minasoliman
Toumarches

« Reply #775 on: October 03, 2012, 12:55:20 PM »

The same thing is done in Christmas, New Years, St. Patrick's Day, etc.  Just because it's Holloween, doesn't mean you can't participate without sinning.

HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #776 on: October 03, 2012, 02:48:04 PM »

Easy on that Catharism there young blood, in Orthodox we may be chaste, but we are far from prudes Wink

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 02:48:42 PM by HabteSelassie » Logged

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #777 on: October 03, 2012, 03:07:48 PM »

Easy on that Catharism there young blood, in Orthodox we may be chaste, but we are far from prudes Wink

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Some people good money for such titillating treatment!

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Tags: Halloween 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: