OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 21, 2014, 06:30:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: a question for byzantineprince  (Read 1365 times) Average Rating: 0
JoeZollars
OC.net guru

Pray for me an unworthy sinner

« on: May 25, 2004, 02:35:09 PM »

Dear ByzantinePrince:

Are you truthfully and proovably Royalty?  I mean more than just an ancestry.com (or similar internet geneology site) search?  I ask because it has come time to renew my membership in some Monarchist groups, and if you are royalty, than I think my money could be best used elsewhere.

Joe Zollars

These posts no longer represent my beliefs and I in no way endorse their contents.
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2004, 02:36:38 PM »

I'm confused, Joe.

I hardly think that Jeff Davis would approve of your membership in any and all Monarchist groups.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2004, 02:39:57 PM »

lol!  yes he would, but I am also a firm believer in Monarchy.  However I also am a firm believer in the policies of locke and therefore a Constitutional Monarchist.  Other than a Confederaly Constitutional system, I think a Constitutional Monarchy is the best system.

Joe Zollars

These posts no longer represent my beliefs and I in no way endorse their contents.
Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2004, 02:43:01 PM »

But a Constitutional Monarchy has as its monarch nothing but a figurehead.  S/he has very little power and is basically a rubber stamp.  The power rests in the PM (or whatever each respective system calls the position).

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2004, 02:47:43 PM »

yes indeed and that is why I shudder ot think of them puttig too much power in the hands of a PM.  The power is inherently and naturally in the hands of hte governed, and should stay there or as close to there as possible IMO.

Joe Zollars

Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2004, 02:48:42 PM »

Then what's the point of having a monarch?

It sounds like you're advocating municipalism, which is all fine and good, as long as everyone involved is, well...involved.

JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2004, 02:53:16 PM »

well I advocate monarchs because they are a cultural symbol.  I don't know rightly if I advocate municipalism or not, but I firmly believe that the States should hold the majority of hte power because they are closer to the people than the feds but still big enough to get the job done.

Joe Zollars

Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2004, 03:12:01 PM »

Municipalism takes the power even further and keeps it closer to home, on a county or even township level.  The closer the power is to the people, though, the more active those people need to be in deciding their fate, politically speaking, and unfortunately, even in the best of times, people just don't care anymore.

Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2004, 03:59:25 PM »

Would localizing autonomy increase how much people care, do you think?

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2004, 04:13:50 PM »

Would localizing autonomy increase how much people care, do you think?

At this point in history, I highly doubt it.  Contrary to what anarchists/municipalists/etc think, people want to be coddled now.  It's always someone else's job.  Aside from community leaders, who actually do care about the state of things, most people are so selfish and insular that they don't care about the other guy.  I don't know if its fear or just plaing laziness, but the only way things will get done nowadays is through the government, be it on the state or federal level.  I would love to see things done on a smaller, more "State oriented" level, but I'm also not holding my breath, because I'm just as afraid of the individual state government as I am of the federal government.  Let's not forget segregation, which occurred both north and south of the Mason-Dixon line.

Columcille

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2004, 08:05:09 PM »

even in the best of times, people just don't care anymore.

Could one of the causes of this apathy be a realization that we no longer have a "gov't of the people and by the people" but one of corporate/special interest?

I hate to sound so pessimistic but I am discouraged by the lack of a voice that ordinary people now have to influence the direction of our gov't.  I care, but feel there is nothing I can do.  I vote, but I really don't believe that makes a difference.  I do think that the more local that gov't power can become the more people would be involved.  They need to see that their efforts bear some fruit.

"The way of God is a daily cross.  No one has ascended into heaven through an easy life."  St. Isaac of Syria
JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2004, 02:30:44 AM »

Amen Columcille!  Home rule really is the best situation in my book (actually completely chucking the US gov't all together and forming several regional confederacies would produce an overall stronger region of the world economically speaking).  I agree t an extent with schultz too, which is why I think the power should be concentrated (at least for the time being in the hands of hte state).  

Joe Zollars

JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2004, 02:45:40 AM »

Gentlemen, I believe we need to hold off on this subject matter until June 8/May 27.  

Joe Zollars

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: