OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 23, 2014, 03:29:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Questions about Holy Unction  (Read 1257 times) Average Rating: 0
stavros_388
OC.net guru

Faith: +

« on: April 19, 2011, 09:45:42 PM »

Does one need to have recently given confession or anything in order to participate in Holy Unction? I've been away from the Church for most of Lent and was off looking after my sick mom recently, but I am back and trying to be steadfast for Holy Week. I haven't confessed or communed in nearly two months, though. Can I still be anointed during the Great Wednesday service?

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 09:51:57 PM by stavros_388 » Logged

"The kingdom of heaven is virtuous life, just as the torment of hell is passionate habits." - St. Gregory of Sinai

"Our idea of God tells us more about ourselves than about Him." - Thomas Merton
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 10:23:07 PM »

I've never heard of there being any "prerequisites". 

Besides, you didn't attend Lenten services because you were lazy, but, because you were doing what God would have wanted you to - caring for your parent.

I can't imagine the priest denying you Holy Unction. 

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 03:31:37 AM »

In my Parish it is required. The  confession is done before the unction service.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 04:12:48 AM »

No confession required, where I come from. Actually they do "mass unction" every week here (I'm back home right now, for Easter) during Lent and then on Good Friday, since it's a very lucrative service. You make money out of it like out of few other sacraments/sacramentals.
jah777
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2011, 08:26:19 AM »

Of course, it would be ideal if you could go to confession beforehand since you have been away for such a time.  But as to whether it is required, you would have to ask the priest in whatever church you plan to attend Unction, since practices and "requirements" may differ by parish or jurisdiction.
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2011, 08:45:23 AM »

I often hear people (wrongly) say that it's a substitute for confession. "Go get annointed on Wednesday and you can take Communion on Thursday, Saturday and Sunday without confessing". Although wrong, I don't think such a misconception could have developed among certain laypeople if confession was a prerequisite to being annointed.
katherineofdixie
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2011, 09:51:38 AM »

Our priest said on Sunday that we would have to have made our confession at least once during Lent in order to receive the Holy Unction on Wednesday.

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
augustin717
Taxiarches

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2011, 12:35:08 PM »

I do not see why confession would be required. Over here, even the Hungarians (who are not orthodox, of course) come and are anointed at the Unction service.
jah777
OC.net guru

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2011, 12:44:18 PM »

I do not see why confession would be required. Over here, even the Hungarians (who are not orthodox, of course) come and are anointed at the Unction service.

Unction is a mystery of the Church and should not be administered to non-Orthodox.  In churches where Confession is required before Communion (whether on a 1:1 basis or a minimum once per month confession for those communing weekly), Confession would be expected before Unction in a similar way as Confession before Communion would be required in that parish.  In parishes where people commune weekly and are not required to confess, they will likely be able to receive Unction as well without confession.
PrincessMommy
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox

OCA

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2011, 12:49:20 PM »

Unction is a mystery of the Church and should not be administered to non-Orthodox. ....

yes, I'm very surprised that non-Orthodox are participating in a Mystery of the Orthodox Church. 
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2011, 01:50:13 PM »

The simple answer might be that the Church does not equal the Romanian Church. or what I suspect to be, your understanding of the Romanian Church praxis and beliefs.

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
augustin717
Taxiarches

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2011, 03:05:31 PM »

Unction is a mystery of the Church and should not be administered to non-Orthodox.  In churches where Confession is required before Communion (whether on a 1:1 basis or a minimum once per month confession for those communing weekly), Confession would be expected before Unction in a similar way as Confession before Communion would be required in that parish.  In parishes where people commune weekly and are not required to confess, they will likely be able to receive Unction as well without confession.
Well they do require confession before every reception of the communion, yet they do not require it for unction.
augustin717
Taxiarches

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2011, 03:06:30 PM »

The simple answer might be that the Church does not equal the Romanian Church. or what I suspect to be, your understanding of the Romanian Church praxis and beliefs.
As we say "where you hit, and where it cracks".
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2011, 03:20:49 PM »

The question of whether to confess is best asked of your spiritual father. No one else here will answer for you to God.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2011, 12:46:57 PM »

Can unconscious people receive it?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 12:47:05 PM by Michał Kalina » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
TheodoraElizabeth3
Elder

« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2011, 01:36:17 PM »

Can unconscious people receive it?

Of course! I've known people who were anointed on their deathbed, and were unconscious.
TheodoraElizabeth3
Elder

« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2011, 01:37:33 PM »

Are you sure they were anointed with chrism? I know in some parishes, during a mass unction service, the priest will anoint non-Orthodox with oil from the vigil lamp at a saint's relics or myrhh from a weeping icon, but NOT chrism.
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2011, 01:48:11 PM »

Are you sure they were anointed with chrism? I know in some parishes, during a mass unction service, the priest will anoint non-Orthodox with oil from the vigil lamp at a saint's relics or myrhh from a weeping icon, but NOT chrism.

But if there are hundreds of people coming up, do you think the priest is giving each a pop-quiz?
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2011, 01:48:19 PM »

I know in some parishes, during a mass unction service, the priest will anoint non-Orthodox with oil from the vigil lamp at a saint's relics or myrhh from a weeping icon, but NOT chrism.

That would be not an unction but anointing like the one is done during the Matins.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
augustin717
Taxiarches

« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2011, 01:50:22 PM »

No, Unction is a free-for-all thing back home, just like communion is here in America in some churches. Not that is bad.
It brings in money too, as you are expected to tip three times or so, during the service, if memory serves me right.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 01:52:03 PM by augustin717 » Logged
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2011, 02:27:04 PM »

No, Unction is a free-for-all thing back home, just like communion is here in America in some churches. Not that is bad.
It brings in money too, as you are expected to tip three times or so, during the service, if memory serves me right.

Do people leave money after confession in Romania as well? I know the Russians do.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 02:27:24 PM by Alveus Lacuna » Logged
augustin717
Taxiarches

« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2011, 02:40:42 PM »

Do people leave money after confession in Romania as well? I know the Russians do.
In my home town they didn't, but i've seen it done some other places like the metropolitan cathedral of Timisoara.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: