Author Topic: CBS's 60 Minutes to do a piece on Mt. Athos  (Read 26675 times)

Offline PrincessMommy

• High Elder
  • OCA
CBS's 60 Minutes to do a piece on Mt. Athos
« on: April 19, 2011, 09:25:39 AM »
Got this via our parish's email list:

Subj: "60 Minutes" Episode on Mt. Athos

CBS TV's 60 Minutes will air a 40-minute segment on the Holy Mountain of
Athos in Greece on Sunday, April 24, 2011 (Pascha Sunday). It will include
scenes of worship and daily life, as well as interviews with the abbots of
several of the Mountain's twenty monasteries.

Check local listings for details.

Offline akimori makoto

• Archon
  • No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...
Re: CBS's 60 Minutes to do a piece on Mt. Athos
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 08:21:24 PM »
Anyone know how I can watch this from Australia??
The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.

Offline podkarpatska

• Merarches
  • Pokrov
    • ACROD (home)
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 08:26:18 PM »

CBS will put the segment online at the 60 minutes website the following day if they hold true to form. 
http://www.cbsnews.com/sections/60minutes/main3415.shtml

Offline akimori makoto

• Archon
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 09:36:18 PM »

CBS will put the segment online at the 60 minutes website the following day if they hold true to form. 
http://www.cbsnews.com/sections/60minutes/main3415.shtml

Thank you both!
The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.

Offline Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • Trolling Babylon 24/7, without apology!
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
  • Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 11:50:42 PM »
Wonderful! Let's hope they don't do a hatchet job. But I think 60 Minutes usually does a fair job reporting on religion. Looking forward to it.

Selam
"Whether it’s the guillotine, the hangman’s noose, or reciprocal endeavors of militaristic horror, radical evil will never be recompensed with radical punishment. The only answer, the only remedy, and the only truly effective response to radical evil is radical love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +
http://bookstore.authorhouse.com/Products/SKU-000984270/Rebel-Song.aspx

Offline Shiny

• Site Supporter
  • Toumarches
  • Paint It Red
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2011, 03:04:11 AM »
Their interview with His All Holiness Bartholomew was excellent, looking forward to this.
“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan

Offline PrincessMommy

• High Elder
  • OCA
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2011, 12:52:36 PM »
Their interview with His All Holiness Bartholomew was excellent, looking forward to this.

I thought His Holiness was good, but the reporter was pretty misinformed (ie: the "college of cardinals" comment - what a doofus).    I hope they have someone who knows a bit more this time.

Offline LizaSymonenko

• Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Hoplitarches
    • St.Mary the Protectress Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2011, 01:07:57 PM »

I am so excited to hear this! 

It seems Orthodoxy is becoming more and more visible in this world.

Glory be to God!

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria

Offline akimori makoto

• Archon
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2011, 07:21:16 PM »

I thought His Holiness was good, but the reporter was pretty misinformed (ie: the "college of cardinals" comment - what a doofus).    I hope they have someone who knows a bit more this time.

He also referred to His All Holiness as "their pope" on two occasions. Grrrrrr.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
  • Faith: GOAA
  • Jurisdiction: Antonis said I'm not Christian, so...
U.S. news show '60 Minutes' to air segment on Mount Athos
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2011, 07:49:00 PM »
On Sunday, April 24, which is Pascha Sunday, the U.S. news magazine show '60 Minutes' will air a segment about a correspondent's visit to Mt. Athos.

From the article:
On the recommendation and with the blessing of Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew, who opened the doors for the "60 Minutes" team, and after two trips to the mountain and two years of dialogue with the Anthonite community, last Fall Simon and the "60 Minutes" team were given unprecedented access to document monastic life on the Holy Mountain.

The show will air on CBS in the U.S. at 7:00 PM EST. Check your local listings.  :)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 07:50:00 PM by biro »
My only weakness is, well, never mind

He said he had a horrible house
I looked in it and learnt to shut my mouth

Come back my dream into my arms, into my arms

London is drowning, and I live by the river

Offline lubeltri

• Latin Catholic layman
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2011, 10:02:22 PM »
They did a thing on Timothy Dolan, the Archbishop of New York, a few weeks ago. Half the questions addressed to His Excellency were variations of "Why don't you consider making this change in doctrine and get with the modern liberal world?"

I hope they were better to the Athonites.

Offline serb1389

• Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
  • Merarches
  • Save Oh Lord your People! And Bless us all!
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2011, 12:15:26 PM »
They did a thing on Timothy Dolan, the Archbishop of New York, a few weeks ago. Half the questions addressed to His Excellency were variations of "Why don't you consider making this change in doctrine and get with the modern liberal world?"

I think the athonites can hang on their own.  they've lived by themselves for centuries on a peninsula very few people know about.  I'm sure they can handle a modern day reporter.  (it's far easier than Byzantine Intrigue  ;)  )

Offline PrincessMommy

• High Elder
  • OCA
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2011, 04:55:28 PM »

He also referred to His All Holiness as "their pope" on two occasions. Grrrrrr.

yes, I remember that now.  It was painfully obvious the reporter didn't do much homework.

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2011, 05:10:53 PM »
Not necessarily. I can totally understand how people could get that impression from reading certain material--even stuff put out by Orthodox people. One Orthodox site that I know of, which has been around for years, implies that if you are not in full communion with the Ecumenical Patriarch, then you aren't Orthodox. When people unfamiliar with Orthodoxy see ecclesiological nonsense like that, it's perfectly natural for them to take it as some kind of Eastern version of Roman primacy.

Offline Kasatkin fan

• High Elder
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2011, 07:20:28 PM »
I hope and pray that this will offer an introduction to many who are seeking as to what Orthodoxy is. I for one don't expect it to be perfectly accurate, and I quite expect them to screw up a few simple and obvious things, but as long as it is generally correct and can serve as a bridge to those who are seeking, then it is better than had they not done it in the first place.

Obviously, however, with a subject such as Mt. Athos, they could portray Orthodoxy as a woman hating and completely irrelevent institution filled with eccentrics. Given their past, however, I don't see this scenario coming true.

Offline Papist

• Patriarch of Pontification
  • Toumarches
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2011, 09:02:28 PM »

I think the athonites can hang on their own.  they've lived by themselves for centuries on a peninsula very few people know about.  I'm sure they can handle a modern day reporter.  (it's far easier than Byzantine Intrigue  ;)  )
Agreed, but I hope hope they are respectful to the monks, and don't bother them with silly questions about modernizing.
"For, by its immensity, the divine substance surpasses every form that our intellect reaches. Thus we are unable to apprehend it by knowing what it is. Yet we are able to have some knowledge of it by knowing what it is not." - St. Thomas Aquinas, Summa contra gentiles, I, 14.

Offline Cognomen

• Ungrateful Biped
  • Site Supporter
  • Archon
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Wanderer, but Antioch and All the East
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2011, 06:58:00 PM »
Just a reminder that this piece is about to come on.  Let's hope it exposes many people to Orthodox piety in a positive light.
If anything I have posted has been illuminating, please remember that I merely reflect the light of others...but also it's me.

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2011, 07:41:51 PM »
Was interesting, though the monks didn't exactly always come off well  ("If we let women they'd bring children and families and we'd become a tourist attraction"... really? seriously?).  I also didn't know about the Hitler thing. Depressing.

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2011, 07:59:57 PM »
I didn't see a problem with the Hitler thing... it's not like they endorsed Hitler's programme or actually gave the Nazis anything.
Radiates, vegetables, monstrosities, star spawn— whatever they had been, they were men!
- Lovecraft, At the Mountains of Madness

Offline Cognomen

• Ungrateful Biped
  • Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2011, 08:05:33 PM »
I didn't see a problem with the Hitler thing... it's not like they endorsed Hitler's programme or actually gave the Nazis anything.

Basically my take as well.  Pretty unnecessary, but I thought the opening segment was excellent.
If anything I have posted has been illuminating, please remember that I merely reflect the light of others...but also it's me.

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2011, 08:31:54 PM »

Debatable.

Offline MyMapleStory

« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2011, 09:23:17 PM »
Was fantastic to watch.

Offline akimori makoto

• Archon
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2011, 09:25:48 PM »

Basically my take as well.  Pretty unnecessary, but I thought the opening segment was excellent.

I also didn't see the relevance of it.

At the risk of sounding all Zionist conspiracy ish, it struck me that maybe someone involved in the production just couldn't allow it to air without that little tidbit being covered.

The coverage was superficial, but could've been a lot worse!

Offline Alveus Lacuna

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2011, 09:30:03 PM »
I was watching for the footage, not the pop history lesson, which can not usually be totally thorough or balanced in that kind of a time frame. I thought the footage was great.

Offline stashko

• Protokentarchos
  • Wonderworking Sitka Icon
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2011, 10:00:38 PM »
Looooved it ....Had some humor in it......Thanks for letting us know about it..... ;D
ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.

Offline lubeltri

• Latin Catholic layman
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2011, 10:20:52 PM »
 ??? What is the "Hitler thing"?

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2011, 10:25:25 PM »
??? What is the "Hitler thing"?

When the Germans occupied Greece, the Athonites were worried that there would be attempts to loot the Holy Mountain. They basically asked Hitler to ensure that this wouldn't happen, and Hitler became their "personal protector." Hitler ended up sending teams in to survey the mountain, with an aim to grabbing some treasures himself, but it never materialized. The idea of making any kind of deal with Hitler makes most of us feel queasy today, for good reason, but it didn't seem to me that the Athonites did anything immoral in this case.
Radiates, vegetables, monstrosities, star spawn— whatever they had been, they were men!
- Lovecraft, At the Mountains of Madness

Offline stashko

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2011, 10:26:46 PM »
The only thing that bothers me is ,the storage of the ancient's icons...It's like they put a monetary Value on them...they should be put out in the open for veneration as they were originally intended for ...Not locked up like in a vatican vault to never see the light of day. Plus our treasurers are suppose to be in heaven, and not on this earth...... :police:
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 10:30:32 PM by stashko »
ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.

Offline Alveus Lacuna

• Taxiarches
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2011, 10:32:08 PM »
The only thing that bothers me is ,the storage of the ancient's icons...It's like they put a monetary Value on them...they should be put out in the open for veneration as they were originally intended for ...Not locked up like in a vatican vault to never see the light of day. Plus our treasurers are suppose to be in heaven, and not on this earth...... :police:

Well, I'm sure that they bring them out for veneration by the monks and faithful at appropriate times, such as the feast day that such an icon would depict.

Offline stashko

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2011, 10:35:20 PM »

Well, I'm sure that they bring them out for veneration by the monks and faithful at appropriate times, such as the feast day that such an icon would depict.

Are you sure About that.....Hummm  ;D

Offline IXOYE

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2011, 10:43:33 PM »

Amen to that!

Offline serb1389

• Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
  • Merarches
  • Save Oh Lord your People! And Bless us all!
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2011, 10:51:06 PM »

Are you sure About that.....Hummm  ;D

That's what we did at the seminary.  we would bring out icons & etc. for certain feast days. 

Offline stashko

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2011, 11:00:19 PM »
As you Say Fr. Deacon , i believe .....Hristos Voskrese......

I was at the New Gracanica for resurrection Matins ,Very Nice, Metropolitan Longin officiated ,Many  Russians ,Some Ukraine's .and Bulgarians ,Plus Others and Many Serbs and they used lots of English which i really didn't care for ,but never the less ...He Blessed quite a lot Baskets plus the red Eggs....

Are you sure About that.....Hummm  ;D

That's what we did at the seminary.  we would bring out icons & etc. for certain feast days.  
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 11:30:25 PM by stashko »

Offline JamesRottnek

• Taxiarches
  • I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2011, 11:25:04 PM »
I thought it was pretty good overall.  The Hitler thing is no big deal in my opinion (though this opinion is based on solely what I saw tonight) because it seems to be that they were mostly just trying to keep the German army from invading the Island.  It isn't like they declared Hitler a living saint or invited him to go up to the altar during the liturgy.  However, if I were to find that they had in fact supported any of his policies, then I would be disappointed in those monks that did so.

I also had a question, is it true that monks never go to funerals of their deceased loved ones and never go to visit their dying loved ones?
"Homosexuality has been a popular topic, but not Satanic trances."

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011

Offline Alveus Lacuna

• Taxiarches
« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2011, 11:55:25 PM »
I also had a question, is it true that monks never go to funerals of their deceased loved ones and never go to visit their dying loved ones?

The traditional monastic practice is total renunciation of the world, and the taking of a new name shows that you are dead to the world. The black shows in a way that you are among the dead walking. My name is Matthew, but if I became a monk I would take a new name. So if my mother called the monastery in the hypothetical situation to beg me to come and see her before she died, the appropriate response would be that Matthew is not able to come because he is dead.

Today, however, especially in North America, you will find things more lax in some settings and I know nuns who do go home to visit family. Although I will admit that it seems strange to me.

Offline Jakub

• Archon
« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2011, 11:57:44 PM »
I liked the program, as for Hitler, they were lucky that Russia occupied his attention...or was it Divine intervention ?
An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Offline Paisius

• Ditry Pope-loving ecumenist
  • OC.net guru
  • Jurisdiction: Depends on the mood
« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2011, 12:27:59 AM »
Overall I thought it was a good piece. I do imagine that comment near the beginning stating that Orthodoxy is the only "denomination" that hasn't changed since the time of the Apostles is sure to ruffle come Roman Catholic feathers.  :)

Offline John Ward

• Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese
« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2011, 12:36:36 AM »
I enjoyed it, overall, and thought it was done very well. The 60 Minutes Overtime on it is also good and can be seen on their site. As for Hitler thing, in a way, I thought it was interesting that they discussed how he never was able to carry out his plans (on the 60 Minutes site, they mentioned possibility of divine intervention). As for asking for protection, nothing new. Even under the Ottomans, they eventually were left alone and "protected." To a degree, anyway. With the icons, I'm not surprised their protected. I have heard of them being brought out for veneration. But, overall, they try to keep them in good condition and prevent anyone from the temptation of stealing them, including monks, who are human. My dad had a saying, "Keep an honest man honest." Finally, to the person who mentioned the kids/tourist thing. He's right. That's a real concern. How many holy places have already turned into that? I've been to Athos. I saw tourists. That's why they already keep non-Orthodox to a very low number. That place has a beautiful solitude. Nothing should be done that risks compromising that.

Offline Orual

• Orthodoxy = 7, not 3
  • High Elder
  • I'm just here for the food.
« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2011, 12:43:20 AM »

It depends on the monastic and the superior.  My guess is that monastics would generally see it as a 'worldly' thing to go visit one's relatives, but this is not a hard-and-fast rule, because I know some monastics keep up with their families and go to their funerals out of love and care for their family members' salvation.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 12:44:08 AM by Orual »
He spoke it as kindly and heartily as could be; as if a man dashed a gallon of cold water in your broth and never doubted you'd like it all the better. 

- C.S. Lewis, Till We Have Faces
f.k.a. Matron.a

Offline JamesRottnek

• Taxiarches
« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2011, 12:49:53 AM »

The traditional monastic practice is total renunciation of the world, and the taking of a new name shows that you are dead to the world. The black shows in a way that you are among the dead walking. My name is Matthew, but if I became a monk I would take a new name. So if my mother called the monastery in the hypothetical situation to beg me to come and see her before she died, the appropriate response would be that Matthew is not able to come because he is dead.

Today, however, especially in North America, you will find things more lax in some settings and I know nuns who do go home to visit family. Although I will admit that it seems strange to me.

Hmm...that's something I hadn't known.  I can understand the reason for it, but it seems so...wrong (for lack of a better word for whatever feeling it is I have about this) that someone would essentially cut off their relationship with their family.  Anyways, so I would assume then that Orthodox monks in places where they still follow this tradition, such as Athos, would also never see their mothers or other female relatives again (though of thouse their male relatives could always visit them I would assume)?

And as far as the whole tourist thing goes, I can see how tourism would be a possible issue.  However, how is it right to claim that bringing children to a monastery is a bad thing?  Did Jesus not himself say to let the little children come to him?  Was he unaware that little children make noise?  It also seems out of place in a Church that invites the children into the liturgy as opposed to sending them off to their own little class while the adults worship (as most protestant churches do), and that invites its children to partake of the eucharist.  But then again these are just the opinions oe oppinions of an outsider who hasn't even attended a liturgy yet, let alone been to a monastery and spoken to monks about their reasons for wanting/not wanting children around.

P.S. Orual, your comment made me think of the quote that goes something like "If you acquire theSpirit, thousandaround you will be saved." and I thought to myself that keeping up with your family if you are a monk would be beneficial for their salvation - assuming you were acquiring the Spirit as a monk instead of wastig your opportunity.

Offline Cognomen

• Ungrateful Biped
  • Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2011, 01:13:22 AM »
^^^
Looks as if you have a lot of issues with the rules of Mt. Athos.  Personally, I'm inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt.  :)

Offline stashko

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2011, 01:14:49 AM »
Orthodox woman and Children Have Many churches to attend and get spiritul Fathers , it doesn't have to be at the Holy Mountian....Even Christ say's anyone that loves Father, Mother ,Sister, or Brother more than me isn't worthy of me...Even The Lord didn't let one of his disciples bury a loved one , Lord told him let the dead bury the dead.... But I'm sure the Disciple's prayers benefited the soul of his departed relative as he grew in Spirituallity and Holiness by being in the presents of the Lord and being taught by him, more then just attending a Burial , funeral.....  :police:

Plus the Monk Priest at Athos had many Parastoses for his Loved one that benefited the departed soul much....I want a relative a the Holy Mountian to pray for me....

Hmm...that's something I hadn't known.  I can understand the reason for it, but it seems so...wrong (for lack of a better word for whatever feeling it is I have about this) that someone would essentially cut off their relationship with their family.  Anyways, so I would assume then that Orthodox monks in places where they still follow this tradition, such as Athos, would also never see their mothers or other female relatives again (though of thouse their male relatives could always visit them I would assume)?

And as far as the whole tourist thing goes, I can see how tourism would be a possible issue.  However, how is it right to claim that bringing children to a monastery is a bad thing?  Did Jesus not himself say to let the little children come to him?  Was he unaware that little children make noise?  It also seems out of place in a Church that invites the children into the liturgy as opposed to sending them off to their own little class while the adults worship (as most protestant churches do), and that invites its children to partake of the eucharist.  But then again these are just the opinions oe oppinions of an outsider who hasn't even attended a liturgy yet, let alone been to a monastery and spoken to monks about their reasons for wanting/not wanting children around.

P.S. Orual, your comment made me think of the quote that goes something like "If you acquire theSpirit, thousandaround you will be saved." and I thought to myself that keeping up with your family if you are a monk would be beneficial for their salvation - assuming you were acquiring the Spirit as a monk instead of wastig your opportunity.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 01:47:52 AM by stashko »

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
  • Faith: GOAA
  • Jurisdiction: Antonis said I'm not Christian, so...
« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2011, 06:20:39 AM »
I saw it yesterday. Thought it was mostly good. The World War II thing surprised me, although I don't know what alternative they would have had, considering they were simple monks without any weapons. Nevertheless, I enjoyed seeing the monks at prayer in the chapel. It was beautiful.
My only weakness is, well, never mind

He said he had a horrible house
I looked in it and learnt to shut my mouth

Come back my dream into my arms, into my arms

London is drowning, and I live by the river

Offline JamesRottnek

• Taxiarches
« Reply #43 on: April 25, 2011, 08:56:36 AM »
^^^
Looks as if you have a lot of issues with the rules of Mt. Athos.  Personally, I'm inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt.  :)

I don't know that I so much have issues as just haven't been informed of the reasons, and consequently don't understand why they do some of the things they do.

Offline podkarpatska

• Merarches
  • Pokrov
    • ACROD (home)
« Reply #44 on: April 25, 2011, 09:12:45 AM »

The Athonite rules are indeed strict, but I don't think that they are uniformly applicable to all Orthodox monastics or monasteries across the globe. Perhaps one of our Fathers online could elaborate for us so that there not be any misconceptions.