OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 22, 2014, 11:45:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Begetting of the Son vs the Procession of the Holy Spirit  (Read 739 times) Average Rating: 0
William
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: None

« on: April 18, 2011, 08:03:13 PM »

What is the difference between the Son being begotten of the Father and the Spirit's procession from Him?

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant

Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift. - Matt. 5:24
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 08:15:44 PM »

What is the difference between the Son being begotten of the Father and the Spirit's procession from Him?

Saint John of Damascus wrote about this question over a thousand years ago...

'The mode of generation and the mode of procession are incomprehensible. We have learned that there is a difference between generation and procession, but the nature of the difference we in no wise understand.'
jckstraw72
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 10:22:07 PM »

was it St. Gregory the Theologian who said let us contemplate this and we can go mad together?
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 10:22:58 PM »

Father beat me to it.

if we knew that, we would know God as He knows Himself, and be persons of the Holy Trinity.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 10:27:17 PM »

How can we know what the difference between them is if we don't even know what exactly each of them are in the first place?

The way I figure it, God likened the causation of the Son and the Spirit to the begetting and spiration of this world, not in an absolute manner, but as a symbol that reveals something of the reality. Given that "Begetting" and "Proceeding" are thus mere inklings of who the Son and the Spirit are, there really isn't room to say that we can know the exact difference between the two. All we can say is that there is something about the causation of the Son that is more like human begetting and something about the causation of the Spirit that is more like Spiration.

Nonetheless, it suffices to say that this amounts to there not being any real answer to your question.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 10:27:28 PM by deusveritasest » Logged

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2011, 10:33:06 PM »

was it St. Gregory the Theologian who said let us contemplate this and we can go mad together?

Yes indeed. Saint Gregory the Theologian who died about 388 AD is an erudite representative of the Church Fathers on the subject of the origins of the three Persons of the Trinity. 

You hear that there is generation? Do not waste your time in seeking after the how. You hear that the Spirit proceeds from the Father? Do not busy yourself about the how" [Orat XX, 2]  "You ask what is the procession of the Holy Spirit? Do tell me first what is the unbegottenness of the Father, then I will explain to you the physiology of the Son's generation and the Spirit's procession and both of us shall be stricken with madness for prying into the mystery of God" [Orat XXXI, 8]

The Fifth Theological Oration.On the Holy
Spirit by St Gregory Nazianzen

In my opinion the Western world has been long stricken with the madness against which Saint Gregory cautions.
Tags: Trinity 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: