OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 27, 2014, 01:14:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pew Data: The hidden exodus: Catholics becoming Protestants  (Read 3714 times) Average Rating: 0
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Boston

« Reply #45 on: April 21, 2011, 11:53:55 PM »

I'd also add that the organ has been used in Western Catholic sacred music for many centuries. "All Are Welcome" or "On Eagle's Wings" or "Gather Us In" sung with guitar and drum will, thank God, not last more than another generation or two.
Alveus Lacuna
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #46 on: April 22, 2011, 12:15:06 AM »

I actually know Eagles' Wings from my youth in the RCC, but I don't know many of the traditional hymns. To their credit though, I did learn the Creed during those years, even if I didn't understand it.

At my first Orthodox service, after having not been in a RCC for some 13 years, I was actually surprised that I knew it and started saying it with everyone else. Apparently I had just been taught a few extra words.  Wink
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #47 on: April 23, 2011, 08:57:28 PM »

I dare you to pry the church organ out of my cold, dead hands 

Not meaning to pry into an obviously personal matter, but were your hands amputated by a doctor, or were you the victim of a violent psycho? And what's the deal with the church organ?

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #48 on: April 23, 2011, 08:58:46 PM »

P.S. Nice seeing both you and Papist on the same thread. Very nostalgic for me. Smiley

synLeszka
High Elder

Faith: Roman Catholic

« Reply #49 on: April 23, 2011, 10:37:35 PM »

If the Protestants are all the children of the Latin Church, than the Muslims, Buddhists and Hinduists are lost children of Holy Russian Orthodoxy.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #50 on: April 23, 2011, 10:43:12 PM »

The Roman Catholic Church is unlikely to ever do the things that it would have to do to stop this hemorrhage, because it would involve too many changes to the structure of the church, and reversals of positions that it has long held.

What about explaining those positions to people?

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #51 on: April 24, 2011, 02:00:23 AM »

I'd also add that the organ has been used in Western Catholic sacred music for many centuries. "All Are Welcome" or "On Eagle's Wings" or "Gather Us In" sung with guitar and drum will, thank God, not last more than another generation or two.

I guess it's all in the eye of the beholder... er... ear of the behearer(?) It seems to me that Roman Catholic masses are much closer to guitar-and-drums Protestant services than they are to what I've experienced in Eastern Orthodox/Catholic services... but... anyway... if it's working for you then don't let me put a damper on your parade...  angel
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #52 on: April 24, 2011, 03:42:38 PM »

If the Protestants are all the children of the Latin Church, than the Muslims, Buddhists and Hinduists are lost children of Holy Russian Orthodoxy.

Definitely one of the stupidest things I've read on the internets.
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #53 on: April 24, 2011, 03:53:07 PM »

I guess it's all in the eye of the beholder... er... ear of the behearer(?) It seems to me that Roman Catholic masses are much closer to guitar-and-drums Protestant services than they are to what I've experienced in Eastern Orthodox/Catholic services... but... anyway... if it's working for you then don't let me put a damper on your parade...  angel

It really depends from parish to parish.  The Archdiocese of Baltimore has the strange distinction of having two Cathedrals (long story).  The newer one, although in a very striking neo-Gothic style (although, honestly, it's a bit ugly to me), is known for its..ahem..bad music.  The older, original one, has much better music.  The same goes for the parishes within the diocese.  You'll have a Gregorian choir at St. Alphonsus in the city but up the road at the Church of the Nativity in Timonium, you'll have the most atrocious guitar masses in a church building that, at least 10 years ago when I went there, is devoid of a tabernacle; it's in a separate "chapel".
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 03:58:04 PM by Schultz » Logged

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

« Reply #54 on: April 24, 2011, 10:37:05 PM »

I guess it's all in the eye of the beholder... er... ear of the behearer(?) It seems to me that Roman Catholic masses are much closer to guitar-and-drums Protestant services than they are to what I've experienced in Eastern Orthodox/Catholic services... but... anyway... if it's working for you then don't let me put a damper on your parade...  angel

It really depends from parish to parish.  The Archdiocese of Baltimore has the strange distinction of having two Cathedrals (long story).  The newer one, although in a very striking neo-Gothic style (although, honestly, it's a bit ugly to me), is known for its..ahem..bad music.  The older, original one, has much better music.  The same goes for the parishes within the diocese.  You'll have a Gregorian choir at St. Alphonsus in the city but up the road at the Church of the Nativity in Timonium, you'll have the most atrocious guitar masses in a church building that, at least 10 years ago when I went there, is devoid of a tabernacle; it's in a separate "chapel".

You are right that the restoration of the liturgy on the ground is uneven. In the Diocese of Arlington, for example, about 1/4 of the parishes have at-least-weekly Traditional Latin Masses, and there are many well-celebrated Novus Ordos. My Archdiocese is decent and is getting better by the year.

In some southern dioceses I've been to, it is actually hard to find a reverent Mass at all.

But the trajectory everywhere is positive.
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

« Reply #55 on: April 24, 2011, 10:43:12 PM »

Not meaning to pry into an obviously personal matter, but were your hands amputated by a doctor, or were you the victim of a violent psycho? And what's the deal with the church organ?

Your comment reminds me of the Haunch of Venison, an ancient pub I've been to in Salisbury, England. Set in the wall is a mummified hand that was chopped from the arm of a cheating card player in the pub about 300 years ago.

I love England.  Smiley

-

Getting back to things, the organ may be a controversial feature of Greek Orthodox churches, but in Latin Catholicism it is very traditional. And I love it. I'm a bit biased, perhaps, because the sound of those glorious pipes combined with sacred polyphony turns me into this:

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #56 on: April 24, 2011, 10:56:08 PM »

Your comment reminds me of the Haunch of Venison, an ancient pub I've been to in Salisbury, England. Set in the wall is a mummified hand that was chopped from the arm of a cheating card player in the pub about 300 years ago.

Never been there -- or anywhere in England for that matter -- but I was listening to the Bon Jovi song, Bad Venison, earlier today.

Alveus Lacuna
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #57 on: April 24, 2011, 10:59:10 PM »

I was going to make some smug remark asking if it could get any worse, but then I realized that it actually could have gotten a lot worse, plus it's Easter and especially not the time for smugness. Christ is risen!
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

« Reply #58 on: April 24, 2011, 11:39:59 PM »

I was going to make some smug remark asking if it could get any worse, but then I realized that it actually could have gotten a lot worse, plus it's Easter and especially not the time for smugness. Christ is risen!

Sounds like you just made it.  Wink

Christos anesti!
Keble
All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
Archon

« Reply #59 on: April 24, 2011, 11:47:40 PM »

Hmmm... I've never been in the basilica but I heard Madame Durufle play the organ at Mary Our Queen. And it's a striking building; it's a pity it's poorly used but I suppose putting a second altar out in front of the baldacchino is a bad sign. St. Alphonsus is notoriously retrograde but you have to like South German HyperGothic.

A decade or so ago I would have said that if you want to see a Western rite done well and reverently, you would be better off going to an Anglican service. These days there's too many Episcopal priests who can't stick to the prayer book rite, and the guitars continue to make inroads.
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #60 on: April 25, 2011, 10:10:59 AM »

Hmmm... I've never been in the basilica but I heard Madame Durufle play the organ at Mary Our Queen. And it's a striking building; it's a pity it's poorly used but I suppose putting a second altar out in front of the baldacchino is a bad sign. St. Alphonsus is notoriously retrograde but you have to like South German HyperGothic.

That's the huge shame about Mary Our Queen: they don't use that organ to its potential.  That nave is one huge reverberation chamber and I would imagine a great organist would know how to use it.  I used to date a girl who went to Loyola and we'd go up there occasionally for Mass (I could not abide by the experimentation that went on at the church on campus) and it was usually some pithy guitar Mass. 

And you are spot on re: St. Alphonsus.  That's one gauche looking church.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: