That is pretty damning, assuming Ultramontanism is the proper view of Catholicism... is that what the Priest/Monk assumed?
What is our Catholicism, then??
It is, that:
1. that the Church must not be relegated to the private sphere of life,
2. that our Church has the right to bindingly teach Faith and Morality,
3. that our Church is governed by the Pope in the College of Bishops,
4. that our Church has the Divine Mandate, to teach all nations,
5. that the Catholic Church is the Immaculate stainless Bride of Christ,
6. that submission to the successor of St.Peter is neccessary for salvation.
Please, go back to your protestant hole if you do not want to accept the fullness of Catholicism.