OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 20, 2014, 01:02:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The writings of St Kevin of Glendalough??? Help me out please.  (Read 716 times) Average Rating: 0
KBN1
High Elder

Faith: EO
Jurisdiction: OCA

« on: April 18, 2011, 02:54:22 PM »

Saint Kevin of Glendalough is my patron and I have read as much as I can find about him and his monastery and settlement in Glendalough, Ireland.  I am not aware of any extant writings of Saint Kevin, but came across a reference on Wikipedia to his writings. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glendalough
Kevin, a descendant of one of the ruling families in Leinster, studied as a boy under the care of three holy men, Eoghan, Lochan, and Eanna. During this time, he went to Glendalough. He was to return later, with a small group of monks to found a monastery where the 'two rivers form a confluence'. Kevin's writings discuss his fighting "knights" at Glendalough; scholars today believe this refers to his process of self-examination and his personal temptations.[1] His fame as a holy man spread and he attracted numerous followers.

I can't find much beyond that.  Does anyone here have any knowledge about these writings?

Thanks much.
Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 09:52:08 PM »

Not sure, but the libraries in Ireland full of old Gaelic writings have barely been touched (a whole building of them was set on fire in the Easter Rising) so they could be there.
KBN1
High Elder

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 09:56:32 AM »

Not sure, but the libraries in Ireland full of old Gaelic writings have barely been touched (a whole building of them was set on fire in the Easter Rising) so they could be there.

Thanks.  Perhaps I will have to find myself a Gaelic scholar.
Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 06:37:23 PM »

A few places that have people that might know (or actually have the text if it is around):

Aberdeen University Celtic Studies Department

The Digital Medievalist Celtic Studies Resources
CELT: Corpus of Electronic Texts
Mary Jones' Celtic Literature Collective

I was just reading the last one the other day (It's been years since I looked at the others) and it had some really interesting stuff, like Taliesen's hymn to the Holy Trinity.
Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 06:44:22 PM »

I found this huge text in what looks like Classical Gaelic about him (and other Saints, I think)... Which probably won't help.
KBN1
High Elder

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2011, 07:24:00 PM »

I found this huge text in what looks like Classical Gaelic about him (and other Saints, I think)... Which probably won't help.

It is actually a great help.  Having something that needs translating is much better than not having something.  Thank you, sir.
Tags: Saint Kevin  Glendalough  Ireland  Irish 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: