OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 23, 2014, 07:53:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Who should be proselytized first and with priority?  (Read 934 times) Average Rating: 0
John The Ninja

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Chicago

« on: April 18, 2011, 02:13:23 PM »

Hello everyone  Smiley

What do you think Christ and the Apostles would say?

Should a nonbeliever be converted to Christianity (regardless of the denomination), or should a Christian who is not part of the One True Church be converted?  Which one do you think they would say is more important?

Lets look at both situations.

A nonbeliever (lets just assume he is Hindu) could be brought into a religion that is True, however, he might not belong to the True Church.  If you look at all the denominations of Christianity, there is far more that unites us than divides us.  If the Hindu converted to the Catholic Church for example, he would accept a Church that has a lot of overlap of theology and traditions as the Orthodox Church.

If a Baptist (for example) were to convert to the Orthodox Church, the number of Christians in the world would not change, but there would be a new member to the Orthodox Church.  Should this take priority over the Hindu?  As a Baptist, he will share a lot of theology and beliefs, but he wouldn't be part of the True Church.

Which would the Apostles and Christ say is more important?  Should we increase the number of Christians, or should we work to unite Christianity?

Share your thoughts  angel
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 02:15:05 PM »

Both are equally important because it's the same thing - receiving people into the Church.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 02:32:49 PM »

What benefit would one receive from a False Church? It's not like heterodoxy is "better" than heresy, Judaism, or paganism. They are all problematic for the soul. All have a little truth, but not the whole truth. Some may have the form of sacraments, but no grace. The Orthodox Church should and does reach out to all with the message of salvation, even to her own members, who are also in need of truth and grace and salvation.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 03:27:45 PM »

Well, there is something to be said for Christians who are more similar to each other being united generating a greater cause of witness. For instance, if all episcopal churches (OO, EO, Nestorian, Romanist, Anglican, etc.) were to become united, I think the Church would have a greater reputation and witness of being the one and only Episcopal Church.

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
sainthieu
Abstractor of the Quintessence
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 03:37:15 PM »

I would promote Orthodox Christianity to Americans, both heterodox and secular, first. Secularism is killing western society. Already, secular inroads have all but destroyed the Episcopal church in the US. Actively gay priests? Give me a break. The Lutherans and Methodists are falling apart. The Catholics--where to begin? Half of them are cafeteria Catholics. Right now, the Orthodox Church is the only bastion of true Christian doctrine left. If we want America to stay Christian, we should start here.
Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Bulgarian

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2011, 04:47:40 PM »

Didn't a wise man once say "there is neither Jew nor Greek?"

In Christ,
Andrew

"I will pour out my prayer unto the Lord, and to Him will I proclaim my grief; for with evils my soul is filled, and my life unto hades hath drawn nigh, and like Jonah I will pray: From corruption raise me up, O God." -Ode VI, Irmos of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2011, 04:50:40 PM »

Well, there is something to be said for Christians who are more similar to each other being united generating a greater cause of witness. For instance, if all episcopal churches (OO, EO, Nestorian, Romanist, Anglican, etc.) were to become united, I think the Church would have a greater reputation and witness of being the one and only Episcopal Church.

Completely agree.  Neither of us are particularly sympathetic to ecumenism in many of its forms, but certain steps of unity among the groups you listed would be remarkable.  It's quite easy for people to dismiss belief in a "True Church" when so many episcopal bodies claim it exclusively.

I would promote Orthodox Christianity to Americans, both heterodox and secular, first. Secularism is killing western society...

Agreed again.  The U.S. and Americans are tremendously influential.  It seemed important for the early church to target influential places, i.e. Rome, for evangelism; why not America?  Britain and Western Europe certainly need a kick-start though.
Secularism/Materialism is killing Western society and, like you noted, it infects not only the secular, but the religious as well.  

Now someone write something I don't agree with, so I can argue.  Smiley

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2011, 05:01:12 PM »

Or it would all be diluted to the ill repute and false witness of the Episcopalians.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2011, 05:02:13 PM »

I think our job is to let the light of Christ shine everywhere we possibly can without discrimination or prioritization.

According to St Paul, we are even supposed "consider one another to provoke unto love and to good works".

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2011, 05:14:23 PM »

Or it would all be diluted to the ill repute and false witness of the Episcopalians.

Also true and a very real barrier.

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2011, 05:38:10 PM »

Hello everyone  Smiley

What do you think Christ and the Apostles would say?

Should a nonbeliever be converted to Christianity (regardless of the denomination), or should a Christian who is not part of the One True Church be converted?  Which one do you think they would say is more important?

Lets look at both situations.

A nonbeliever (lets just assume he is Hindu) could be brought into a religion that is True, however, he might not belong to the True Church.  If you look at all the denominations of Christianity, there is far more that unites us than divides us.  If the Hindu converted to the Catholic Church for example, he would accept a Church that has a lot of overlap of theology and traditions as the Orthodox Church.

If a Baptist (for example) were to convert to the Orthodox Church, the number of Christians in the world would not change, but there would be a new member to the Orthodox Church.  Should this take priority over the Hindu?  As a Baptist, he will share a lot of theology and beliefs, but he wouldn't be part of the True Church.

Which would the Apostles and Christ say is more important?  Should we increase the number of Christians, or should we work to unite Christianity?

Share your thoughts  angel
It would be very easy to convince the Hindu that he should be born again. And the Baptist would not partake of the Eucharist (because of the alcohol content). The Hindu wins, hands down.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2011, 05:38:33 PM »

Christ said to "love thy neighbor" and to preach the Gospel "to all nations." To me, this means that we are to be a witness to all at all times without worrying about "priority." ALL are in need of the love and saving grace of Christ and His Church. Everyone; without discretion.

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2011, 05:47:53 PM »

I don't see how that would be possible.

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
Doubting Thomas
High Elder

Anglican (but not Episcopagan)

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2011, 07:07:42 PM »

Keep in mind that the majority of the world's Anglicans (ie in the Global South) are not liberals like most (not all) of the remaining Episcopalians, and in North American there is the new Anglican Church in North America (which is already recognized by several African provinces) and the older Continuing Anglican Churches.  Worldwide Anglicanism is in flux, and it will be interesting to see how things shake out over the next several years in terms of global alignment.

Didn't mean to side track the thread.   Grin

"My Lord and My God!"--Doubting Thomas, AD 33
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2011, 07:12:15 PM »

Keep in mind that the majority of the world's Anglicans (ie in the Global South) are not liberals like most (not all) of the remaining Episcopalians, and in North American there is the new Anglican Church in North America (which is already recognized by several African provinces) and the older Continuing Anglican Churches.  Worldwide Anglicanism is in flux, and it will be interesting to see how things shake out over the next several years in terms of global alignment.

Good point. The Anglicans should be proselytized first.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Doubting Thomas
High Elder

Anglican (but not Episcopagan)

« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2011, 07:15:14 PM »

Good point. The Anglicans should be proselytized first.
Ha, Ha.  laugh

"My Lord and My God!"--Doubting Thomas, AD 33
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2011, 07:48:59 PM »

Just speaking for myself, what I found in the Eastern religions drew me closer to Orthodoxy than anything I knew (thought I knew?) about the Western confessions of Christianity ever did.

I worry as much about the salvation of five-point Calvinists as I do sincere Buddhists, if not more so.

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: