OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 24, 2014, 10:38:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Great Entrance censing  (Read 926 times) Average Rating: 0
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« on: April 18, 2011, 10:22:48 AM »

Right after the priest enters the Doors after the Great Entrance, he wraps the veil around the censer, gives it a shake (at least that's how my priest does it) and then covers the Gifts with it and then censes the whole thing.

What's the reason for the wrapping of the veil around the censer?

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 12:16:29 PM »

To collect the smoke.

Joseph
Subdeacon Michael

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011, 02:45:27 PM »

Right after the priest enters the Doors after the Great Entrance, he wraps the veil around the censer, gives it a shake (at least that's how my priest does it) and then covers the Gifts with it and then censes the whole thing.

Essentially, what arimethea said.

The Great Entrance, in origin, is simply nothing more than the transfer of the Gifts from the place of preparation, (originally a separate building) to the altar for the eucharistic rite.  However, all manner of symbolism later became attached to it, with the procession being seen as representative of Christ's triumphal entry into Jerusalem, the taking of the bread from the deacon's elevated hands as the taking down of the Saviour's Body from the Cross, and the laying of the Gifts on the Holy Table as the burial of the Saviour in the tomb.  The aer, at this point, takes on the role of the burial shroud of the Saviour, so it is censed before being placed over the Gifts, symbolising the spices with which the Saviour's body was honoured.  One of the troparia said quietly by the priest at this time is, "The Noble Joseph, when he had taken down thy Most Pure Body from the tree, wrapped it in fine linen, and anointed it with spices, and laid it in a new tomb".  This is why the Royal Doors and curtain are closed at this point, symbolising the sealing of the tomb, (for them to be later opened as a sign of the Resurrection, as the Holy Things are presented to the people). 

Tangential, but somewhat pertinent, is that the aer was originally much larger than it is today, and was carried over the Gifts during the Great Entrance procession.  When all of the symbolism of the passion and burial came to be attached to the entrance, the aer came to be decorated with more and more elaborate burial scenes of the Saviour, which is the origin of the plashchanitsa (epitaphios, for Greek speakers), and the Great Friday ceremonies surrounding it that we know today.

'There is nothing upon earth holier, higher, grander, more solemn, more life-giving than the Liturgy. The church, at this particular time, becomes an earthly heaven; those who officiate represent Christ Himself, the angels, the cherubim, seraphim and apostles.' - St John of Kronstadt
frjohnmorris
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2014, 01:01:39 AM »

I am not making this up. There is a book on the Divine Liturgy published by Holy Trinity Monastery Press that states that the Priest wraps the veil (aer) around the censer to get the bugs off of it.

Fr. John W. Morris
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2014, 01:34:47 AM »

I am not making this up. There is a book on the Divine Liturgy published by Holy Trinity Monastery Press that states that the Priest wraps the veil (aer) around the censer to get the bugs off of it.

Fr. John W. Morris
Interesting, Fr. Makes sense if you think about it.

frjohnmorris
OC.net guru

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2014, 01:45:14 AM »

Fr. John W. Morris
Interesting, Fr. Makes sense if you think about it.

I used to think that the explanation of waving the aer over the gifts and the fans were to drive away insects seemed strange. Then suddenly for several weeks, we had lots of fruit flies flying in the Altar during the Divine Liturgy. We finally found that someone had left a pan of kibbee (A kind of Lebanese meatloaf) in one of the ovens for several months.

Fr. John W. Morris
« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 01:45:58 AM by frjohnmorris » Logged
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2014, 01:53:24 AM »

Ewwww i bet that was fun to clean up. We didn't have ac at church so doors would be open and screwnless tilting windows. Yup, bugs.

Peacemaker
Elder

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2014, 07:19:14 AM »

My priest once told me a story about when he visited another parish and a fly landed in the Holy Gifts after communion and he had to eat it because it had been in the Body and Blood of Christ. My priest tells me the idea of why he censes the veil (aer) before he lays it over is for this reason. And he said it's the same reason they shake it over the Gifts during the reading of the Creed, is to keep the bugs away.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 07:20:26 AM by Peacemaker » Logged

This user is no longer active.
LBK
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2014, 07:22:02 AM »

My priest tells me the idea of censes it before you lay it over is for this reason. And he said it's the same reason they shake it over the Gifts during the reading of the Creed, is to keep the bugs away.

The shaking of the Aer also symbolizes the earthquake which struck at the point of Christ's death, which tore the temple veil in two, and opened the tombs of the saints, who arose and appeared to many.
arnI

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2014, 08:51:09 AM »

My priest tells me the idea of censes it before you lay it over is for this reason. And he said it's the same reason they shake it over the Gifts during the reading of the Creed, is to keep the bugs away.

The shaking of the Aer also symbolizes the earthquake which struck at the point of Christ's death, which tore the temple veil in two, and opened the tombs of the saints, who arose and appeared to many.

I have also read that "the act of the Priest shaking the Aer over the gifts signifies the raised flag of victorious Christianity. The Church survived triumphantly after many struggles and persecutions." (Divine Liturgy, Ecumenical Publications 2001)

Grant me to see my own errors and not to judge my brother
Jovan
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Diocese of Great Britain and Scandinavia

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2014, 09:03:00 AM »

This theme is so interesting Cheesy

“Belatedly I loved thee, O Beauty so ancient and so new, belatedly I loved thee. For see, thou wast within and I was without, and I sought thee out there."
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Nazarenes

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2014, 10:58:23 AM »

I have also read that "the act of the Priest shaking the Aer over the gifts signifies the raised flag of victorious Christianity. The Church survived triumphantly after many struggles and persecutions." (Divine Liturgy, Ecumenical Publications 2001)

Peacemaker is right.  The other reasons presented here for the shaking of the aer are just that: "other reasons", secondary, symbolic interpretations according to one or the other theme intended to assign meaning to what looks meaningless. 

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
frjohnmorris
OC.net guru

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2014, 04:51:48 PM »

My priest once told me a story about when he visited another parish and a fly landed in the Holy Gifts after communion and he had to eat it because it had been in the Body and Blood of Christ. My priest tells me the idea of why he censes the veil (aer) before he lays it over is for this reason. And he said it's the same reason they shake it over the Gifts during the reading of the Creed, is to keep the bugs away.

I have no doubt that was the original reason for waving the fans and veil was to keep the insects away. I was shocked when I was a student in Germany and went on a missionary trip to give a series of lectures on Orthodoxy in the Philippines that it seems that window screens are an American practice.

Fr. John W. Morris
xOrthodox4Christx
Archon

Faith: Protestant (Inquirer)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Christianity

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2014, 05:15:41 PM »

lol That fly is going to burn in hell.

"[The Lord] shall judge between many peoples, and shall decide for strong nations far away; and they shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruning hooks; nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall they learn war anymore." (Isaiah 2:4, Micah 4:3)
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Nazarenes

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2014, 08:10:02 PM »

That fly is going to burn in hell.

Or, depending on the particular tradition, it will burn in the censer. 

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
frjohnmorris
OC.net guru

« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2014, 12:56:56 AM »

I have read that it originated to keep the insects away, but that is now is interpreted as symbolizing the earthquake when Christ died on the Cross. The Priest stops waving the aer and makes circular motions over the gifts following the words of the Creed, "rose from the dead."

Fr. John W. Morris
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: