OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 30, 2014, 06:13:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Palm Sunday... I received a branch  (Read 568 times) Average Rating: 0
quester

« on: April 17, 2011, 09:38:46 AM »

Hi all,

Went to the Palm Sunday liturgy this morning. It was a good service but I'm unsure what to do with the palm branch. It's like... huge. I don't want to throw it away but the problem is I don't know of anyone else who might use it.

I don't have much room at home, I have no cross or icons yet, and nobody in my family is either Orthodox or Roman Catholic. I should have asked about it but somehow I just forgot! Can I cut it into smaller pieces that you can save or should you leave it intact?

Btw, it's not actually a "palm" branch but a substitute. Buxus, if I'm not mistaken.

Any suggestions? Smiley

Cheers,
Q.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 09:39:27 AM by quester » Logged
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011, 01:44:41 PM »

You have no icons or cross yet, but do you have a space, no matter how small, that you have set aside for prayer?  If so, tape it to the wall there.  If not, designate one, and tape it to the wall there.  Icons and crosses will come later.

If you must dispose of it, burn it or bury it (or take it to Church and give it to your priest, he'll dispose of it in proper manner with other blessed items that have accumulated).

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
quester

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2011, 02:58:19 PM »

You have no icons or cross yet, but do you have a space, no matter how small, that you have set aside for prayer?  If so, tape it to the wall there.  If not, designate one, and tape it to the wall there.  Icons and crosses will come later.

If you must dispose of it, burn it or bury it (or take it to Church and give it to your priest, he'll dispose of it in proper manner with other blessed items that have accumulated).

Hi FormerReformer,

I'm afraid I don't have a dedicated prayer corner. At least, not yet. I don't have much space, much less private space. I wish I had an apartment of my own but I'm still living at home. Things may be about to change when I do my internship and will have a room of my own, but for the time being, I guess I'll have to improvise.

Either way, many thanks for the advice! I really appreciate the clarity of your response.

I like your username, by the way. I take it you used to be a Reformed Christian?

Cheers,
Q.
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2011, 03:12:47 PM »

Hi FormerReformer,

I'm afraid I don't have a dedicated prayer corner. At least, not yet. I don't have much space, much less private space. I wish I had an apartment of my own but I'm still living at home. Things may be about to change when I do my internship and will have a room of my own, but for the time being, I guess I'll have to improvise.

Either way, many thanks for the advice! I really appreciate the clarity of your response.

I like your username, by the way. I take it you used to be a Reformed Christian?

Cheers,
Q.

Do you share a room with a sibling?  That's gotta be annoying. 

Reformed in the sense that all Protestants are products of the Reformation, not in the Calvinistic sense.

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2011, 03:13:55 PM »

Q, you can just tape it anywhere on the wall. We don't have a separate prayer corner quite yet, but I made a tiny corner of my night table into my "prayer corner." One icon, one picture and now my two palm crosses. Even before we got the icons, I printed out the Jesus Prayer and the Our Father in Greek and put them on the wall with a simple wooden cross in the middle.

It doesn't need to be fancy, and anything that helps us concentrate on prayer is good.

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
quester

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2011, 03:48:30 PM »

@ FormerReformer: Yes, that's right. It's extremely annoying at times, especially given my age. Luckily though my brother has a student room so I have more privacy during the week, except for weekends.

I see what you mean. I was curious because I considered myself Reformed in the Calvinistic sense for quite some time, though I was raised "Evangelical", i.e. pretty Arminian. Either way, I've made quite a U-turn. Wink

@ IsmiLiora: Hmm, sounds good. I actually did something similar. I pinned two "icons" of the Theotokos and Christ on the cork board that's hanging above my tiny desk... Maybe I can integrate the palm branch there. I guess I better start looking for a cross, too. Preferably one in 3d. Cheesy

Q.
genesisone
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2011, 04:07:23 PM »

Btw, it's not actually a "palm" branch but a substitute. Buxus, if I'm not mistaken.
Don't worry about what species it is or isn't. In northerly climates, pussy willow branches have come to be traditional where palms are unknown and generally unavailable. As an early sign of spring they are quite acceptable. But in any case, it will have been blessed and should not be discarded with garbage. Return it to the earth after keeping it as long as you like.
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2011, 05:40:40 PM »

I can't remember seeing Pussy willow or any other type of similar willow, other than the weeping willow or the happy willow Branches used on Palm Sunday in the Serbian Church......Those tree's seem to be always on our Monastery Grounds or more of the weeping ones ...The Saying that says  Use whats avalable ..... laugh
Plus,
The willow tree branches are flexable and can be looped into wreaths and hung anywhere..... police
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 05:44:56 PM by stashko » Logged

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2011, 01:39:29 AM »

You can always keep them until next year.

Also you can burn them!  that was my personal favorite.  "holy things" burning day.  fantastic.  Just make sure you burn them into the ground.

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: