OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 29, 2014, 07:13:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Who to contact to get the Book Club kick started again?  (Read 1551 times) Average Rating: 0
quietmorning
Quiet Morning
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« on: April 16, 2011, 12:12:44 PM »

It seems that there are a lot of avid readers here on orthodoxchristianity.net - any chance of maybe getting a new book assigned and perhaps starting this child board up again?  It doesn't look like it's had any use (I could be wrong, I only took a quick glance.) since 2008. 

I'm game if any one else is.
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2011, 12:36:11 PM »

I'm game, too! Sign me up.

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2011, 01:12:10 PM »

It seems that there are a lot of avid readers here on orthodoxchristianity.net - any chance of maybe getting a new book assigned and perhaps starting this child board up again?  It doesn't look like it's had any use (I could be wrong, I only took a quick glance.) since 2008. 

I'm game if any one else is.

Would you be interested in managing the conversation, or are you just interested in being a participant?

Met. Demetrius's Enthronement

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching.

I served as an Orthodox priest from June 2008 to April 2013, before resigning for personal reasons
quietmorning
Quiet Morning
OC.net guru

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2011, 01:35:29 PM »

I have no clue on how to manage the conversation - but I am willing to learn.  I'm willing to manage the conversation.   
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2011, 02:34:43 PM »

I'll take part.   Smiley

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: refuse

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2011, 02:36:19 PM »

I would be interested Smiley

He ducked back down the alley / With some roly-poly little bat-faced girl

quietmorning
Quiet Morning
OC.net guru

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2011, 02:47:30 PM »

Father, please forgive me, I did not address you. . .

Father Anastasios,
I have no clue on how to manage the conversation - but I am willing to learn.  I'm willing to manage the conversation.   
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2011, 02:58:05 PM »

Father Anastasios,
I have no clue on how to manage the conversation - but I am willing to learn.  I'm willing to manage the conversation.  

No problem!

Here's what I would suggest you do:

1) Open a thread stating "We are going to begin a book discussion after Pascha to begin on ____x____ date (you pick it based on your availability since you are the facilitator).  Ask for feedback as to what books people would like to discuss. If you have a book you would like to recommend for consideration, then please feel free to state that.

2) Wait one week for the nominations to come in. If there is a clear leading candidate, then go with that; if not, narrow it down to two candidates and open a poll.

3) After a book is decided, make a decision how to break it up. If chapters are long, perhaps one thread per chapter. If chapters are short, then perhaps by several chapters at a time. Announce the plan in the thread where the winning book is selected, but then open each individual thread as you reach the date (to forestall people jumping the gun).

4) For each section you will discuss, come up with 5-10 questions that you have while reading the text, and post them in the first post of the that thread. Others may wish to pose their own questions, but that will at least get the discussion started.

Does that sound like a plan you would be comfortable executing?

in Christ,
Fr. Anastasios
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 02:59:05 PM by Fr. Anastasios » Logged

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching.

I served as an Orthodox priest from June 2008 to April 2013, before resigning for personal reasons
quietmorning
Quiet Morning
OC.net guru

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2011, 03:05:05 PM »

Father Anastasios,
I have no clue on how to manage the conversation - but I am willing to learn.  I'm willing to manage the conversation.  

No problem!

Here's what I would suggest you do:

1) Open a thread stating "We are going to begin a book discussion after Pascha to begin on ____x____ date (you pick it based on your availability since you are the facilitator).  Ask for feedback as to what books people would like to discuss. If you have a book you would like to recommend for consideration, then please feel free to state that.

2) Wait one week for the nominations to come in. If there is a clear leading candidate, then go with that; if not, narrow it down to two candidates and open a poll.

3) After a book is decided, make a decision how to break it up. If chapters are long, perhaps one thread per chapter. If chapters are short, then perhaps by several chapters at a time. Announce the plan in the thread where the winning book is selected, but then open each individual thread as you reach the date (to forestall people jumping the gun).

4) For each section you will discuss, come up with 5-10 questions that you have while reading the text, and post them in the first post of the that thread. Others may wish to pose their own questions, but that will at least get the discussion started.

Does that sound like a plan you would be comfortable executing?

in Christ,
Fr. Anastasios

Thank you, Father!  This sounds very manageable.  Will I also be responsible for moderating the conversations or will someone else?  If I will be responsible, please PM me as I have a lot of questions. . .to do so properly. 

Thank you again!

Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2011, 03:20:30 PM »

You will not be responsible for being a moderator in the event that anyone steps out of bounds. However, you will be the facilitator, and if you feel that tangents or any other developments threaten the process, you can state that the conversation needs to get back on topic, etc., and you can reach out to the forum moderator if people don't go along with your direction (the forum moderator is currently showing as the now-retired EofK--I will get that straightened out).

Thanks for taking up this important project, and I hope it goes well!

in Christ,

Fr. Anastasios

quietmorning
Quiet Morning
OC.net guru

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2011, 03:22:37 PM »

You will not be responsible for being a moderator in the event that anyone steps out of bounds. However, you will be the facilitator, and if you feel that tangents or any other developments threaten the process, you can state that the conversation needs to get back on topic, etc., and you can reach out to the forum moderator if people don't go along with your direction (the forum moderator is currently showing as the now-retired EofK--I will get that straightened out).

Thanks for taking up this important project, and I hope it goes well!

in Christ,

Fr. Anastasios

Thank you again, Father!  Phew!! I'm happy to have someone to rely on!!
Lord have mercy! I hope it goes well, too! Smiley

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2011, 08:37:41 PM »

Hooray! I think this will be really good.   Smiley

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Quinault
Protokentarchos

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2011, 08:52:56 PM »

I would be willing to participate. I have helped lead book discussions in the past, so if someone needs to facilitate I am willing to help in that area too.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: