OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 20, 2014, 06:34:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "With Rings On Their Fingers..."  (Read 2696 times) Average Rating: 0
Rosehip
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« on: May 06, 2008, 11:41:26 PM »

On another thread, I was surprised to discover that somebody's priest wears not only a wedding band, but another ring on the other hand...

As far as I know, none of our clergymen wear rings of any type-not even a wedding band if they are married.

Why the difference?

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2008, 12:19:11 AM »

Yikes.  This topic can get a bit messy, because I've heard people on all sides argue about the Priest wearing his wedding band.  The positions I've encountered are:

(a) Wedding band yes, even during Liturgy.
(b) Wedding band yes, but not during Liturgy.
(c) Wedding band no, and especially not during Liturgy.

I happen to support (a) personally.  The priests of the GOA generally fall into either (a) or (b), and the difference is probably generational (i.e. it depends on what influences they had from their hometown priests and, especially, seminary professors and bishops).

Would I wear an additional ring?  It depends on what's on it, but probably not.  I wouldn't wear any type of jewlery (other rings, watch, wristband/etc.) save my wedding band (and the cross around my neck) at Liturgy, though. 

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2008, 12:29:50 AM »

What I have seen at my church is the priest will wear his wedding ring and watch during the first part of the liturgy, before the Chalice is on the altar.  Then right before the great entrance, he removes them.  I've seen other priests do this too.  I actually think it is part of the ceremony (What's the proper word--rubrics?)  He also removes his crown at that time.

Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2008, 12:32:04 AM »

What I have seen at my church is the priest will wear his wedding ring and watch during the first part of the liturgy, before the Chalice is on the altar.  Then right before the great entrance, he removes them.  I've seen other priests do this too.  I actually think it is part of the ceremony (What's the proper word--rubrics?)  He also removes his crown at that time.

Ahh.  Our priests don't wear the crown, but the Bishop does, and he removes it before the Great Entrance as well.  However, I've never seen a clergyman remove his wedding ring at that point.  Most of the priests I know don't wear their watches at Liturgy either - they either have them with their wallet off to the side, or sitting on a surface (the Altar Table, a vesting table, etc.) so they can see it.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2008, 12:55:05 AM »

The two rings is something unique to America, it is done by several Orthodox girls I know so that there is no confusion that she is married. One girl I know was wearing her ring on the traditional right hand hand and was constantly being hit on and asked out at work so she decided to start wearing a second ring on her left hand.

Joseph
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2008, 09:11:53 AM »

My hierarch is fine with his married priests wearing their wedding rings during the Liturgy, and as such both my proistamenos as well as myself keep our wedding rings on during the Church services.

One concern I would have is this: if I were to take my ring off, would I lose or misplace it? I'm notorious for forgetting things, and I lost nearly two hours of time this week when I had gone to a shopping mall and lost track of where I parked my car. I had to wait for the mall to close and walk around the parking lot until I found it.

I'd really be hesitant to have to tell Presbytera that I lost my wedding band...that would not go well. Not well at all!  Cheesy

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2008, 09:40:47 AM »

I think it is a bad idea to wear a wedding ring when serving because the particles of Holy Communion could get stuck under the ring.

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2008, 09:59:41 AM »

I think it is a bad idea to wear a wedding ring when serving because the particles of Holy Communion could get stuck under the ring. 

That's a major rationale that I've heard for not wearing it.

---------------------
FrChris
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2008, 10:36:33 AM »

^^Yes...that is the only reason that I may consider changing my practice, and potentially face the wrath of Presbytera: the wrath of God would be even more severe.

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2008, 10:54:11 AM »

She can't go two hours with you not having it on? When you are standing right in front of her? lol Wink

When I serve I attach it to my baptismal cross so it won't get lost. Of course, I have only served twice so far hehe
« Last Edit: May 07, 2008, 10:55:05 AM by Deacon Anastasios » Logged

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
FrChris
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2008, 10:58:57 AM »

^^The big issue is...if I take it off, where will I put it so I'll find it later?

Maybe I could put my ring with my car keys, so I'll not be able to leave the Church until I find my ring. Hmm...

Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2008, 11:00:36 AM »

^^The big issue is...if I take it off, where will I put it so I'll find it later?

Maybe I could put my ring with my car keys, so I'll not be able to leave the Church until I find my ring. Hmm...

Sounds like a workable plan.

---------------------
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2008, 02:04:56 PM »

But how big is the parking lot there?   Cheesy How big was the Mall lot that you lost 2 hours  Great googly-moogly!  Have you considered a small flag on the aerial or antlers or painting the car orange?   Wink

Ebor Smiley

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2008, 02:28:32 PM »

But how big is the parking lot there?   Cheesy How big was the Mall lot that you lost 2 hours  Great googly-moogly!  Have you considered a small flag on the aerial or antlers or painting the car orange?   Wink
Have you seen an American mall? The one we have in town sits on forty acres, and it's one of the small ones. The largest is the Mall of America in Bloomington, Minnesota. It's a four-story, 4.2 million-square-foot shopping center--and an expansion is planned that will add an additional 5.2 million square feet.

Fr. Chris, don't ever park at the Mall of America.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2008, 02:50:53 PM »

Have you seen an American mall? The one we have in town sits on forty acres, and it's one of the small ones. The largest is the Mall of America in Bloomington, Minnesota. It's a four-story, 4.2 million-square-foot shopping center--and an expansion is planned that will add an additional 5.2 million square feet.

Sure I've seen Malls. I've even been to some.  Cheesy  Maybe I have leet finding skills from living in the trackless wastes of Montana where we have to find our way about on buffalo trails.   Grin Wink Smiley

j/k

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2008, 02:59:53 PM »

^ LOL! Hmm. For some reason, I was under the impression that you lived in the UK.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox

lolcat addict

« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2008, 03:30:08 PM »

Luckily, that's a near impossibility.  When Mr. Y and I went, we took a train and left our car in the much smaller hotel parking lot.  If you just remember which hotel in Minneapolis you were in....

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2008, 04:17:56 PM »

^ I never give advice I don't follow myself! Grin
« Last Edit: May 07, 2008, 04:18:17 PM by ytterbiumanalyst » Logged

Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2008, 04:46:04 PM »

^ LOL! Hmm. For some reason, I was under the impression that you lived in the UK.

Shocked Shocked Good Golly!  Really?  (checking to see if I'm typing with some kind of British accent)

I'm the one from Montana, remember?  Smiley

Ebor

GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2008, 05:04:22 PM »

I believe our priest wears two rings; his wedding ring and on the other hand a gold ring with several Orthodox crosses on them.  I'm not sure if he wears them during Liturgy though, I'm always up in the choir loft and can't see his hands that closely.

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Rosehip
Archon

« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2008, 06:24:01 PM »

Isn't there anyone on here whose priests don't wear rings??? Huh  I always assumed it was a given that they didn't...

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
RLNM

Faith: Orthodox

RLNM
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2008, 06:43:51 PM »

Or you could just ask your wife to put your ring (and car keys) in her purse.

"This is the day the Lord has made, let us rejoice and be glad in it."
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2008, 07:30:55 PM »

Isn't there anyone on here whose priests don't wear rings??? Huh  I always assumed it was a given that they didn't...

My Priest doesn't.  Never really thought of asking about it.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2008, 07:31:31 PM by Friul » Logged

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
Psalti Boy
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Don't need one

« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2008, 02:17:14 AM »

I'm notorious for forgetting things, and I lost nearly two hours of time this week when I had gone to a shopping mall and lost track of where I parked my car. I had to wait for the mall to close and walk around the parking lot until I found it.

My memory is worse than yours.  I've spent the last hour searching the entire house for the handset for our phone.  I even tried calling it with my cell phone, but didn't hear it.  As far as losing the car in parking lots, i used to do that 'til I started using the handicap spots up front. 

PB
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2008, 03:10:03 AM »

My memory is worse than yours.  I've spent the last hour searching the entire house for the handset for our phone.  I even tried calling it with my cell phone, but didn't hear it.  As far as losing the car in parking lots, i used to do that 'til I started using the handicap spots up front. 

PB

That's better than losing your cellphone in the house when its on vibrate...

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
Psalti Boy
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Don't need one

« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2008, 12:56:23 AM »

That's better than losing your cellphone in the house when its on vibrate...

You're right about that.

My wife found the handset the next morning.  It was stuffed between the sofa cushions.

PB
ilyazhito
High Elder

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2011, 09:35:00 PM »

This is moot. If I was ordained, I would wear my wedding ring, and that's it.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2011, 09:36:43 PM »

Rosehip

Sigh  Undecided
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2011, 09:39:05 PM »

Me, too.  Sad

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2011, 09:41:40 PM »

Rosehip

Sigh  Undecided

my thoughts exactly.   Cry

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
Tags: wedding rings clerical dress 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: