Author Topic: What is worship?  (Read 449 times)

Offline Scott

• Jurisdiction: OCA
What is worship?
« on: April 15, 2011, 01:10:42 AM »
If you were to give an explanation of the definition of worship, what would you say?
And what would you say is the difference between worship of God, and the veneration of saints?
Thanks!
- James

Offline Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • "Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
Re: What is worship?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011, 02:19:18 AM »
I would say that worship is individually and corporately confessing our complete dependence upon Christ and His Cross for our salvation, beseeching His forgiveness and mercy, offering Him our thanksgiving and praise, and literally and mystically receiving Him into our bodies and souls through the Mystery of the Holy Eucharist.

I know that may not be absolutely "theologically correct," but off the top of my head that's what I would say.

Selam
""Love is a dangerous thing. It will crush you if you trust it. But without it you can never be whole. Love crucifies, but love saves. We will either be saved together with love, or damned alone without it."    Selam, +GMK+

Offline biro

• Excelsior
  • Site Supporter
  • Hoplitarches
  • Leave me alone, I was only singing
    • Alaska Volcanoes
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2011, 06:37:08 AM »
"A mercy of peace, a sacrifice of praise."  :angel:
He will come again with glory to judge the living and the dead. His kingdom will have no end.

--

And if I seem a little strange, well, that's because I am

Offline David Garner

• Elder
    • For He is Good and Loves Mankind
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2011, 03:38:51 PM »
Receiving God's Gifts and returning thanks for them.

I'd say the difference between that and veneration of the saints is we are not receiving the Gifts of God through the Saints nor returning thanks to them, but merely adoring and loving them for their examples to us and requesting their intercession before the Throne of God.  Worship of God is a relationship between Creator and created.  Adoration of the Saints is a friendship between two created beings.

Offline mabsoota

• Archon
  • Kyrie eleison
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox (Coptic)
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2011, 03:48:33 PM »
worship God is adoring Him, doing what He asks and declaring Him to be far superior to us.
it's thinking of Him first every day, praising Him in every happy moment and asking for His help when we are in need.

venerating the saints is thanking God for their lives, congratulating them on arriving ahead of us, asking them to pray to God for Him to forgive our sins and us asking God to help us learn from their example (and in some cases, also from their mistakes).

God is our Father, creator and saviour.
the saints are our big brothers/sisters, colleagues and role models.