OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 18, 2014, 07:50:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is worship?  (Read 395 times) Average Rating: 0
Scott

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« on: April 15, 2011, 01:10:42 AM »

If you were to give an explanation of the definition of worship, what would you say?
And what would you say is the difference between worship of God, and the veneration of saints?
Thanks!

"To know is to know that you know nothing. That is the meaning of true knowledge."
Confucius
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011, 02:19:18 AM »

I would say that worship is individually and corporately confessing our complete dependence upon Christ and His Cross for our salvation, beseeching His forgiveness and mercy, offering Him our thanksgiving and praise, and literally and mystically receiving Him into our bodies and souls through the Mystery of the Holy Eucharist.

I know that may not be absolutely "theologically correct," but off the top of my head that's what I would say.

Selam

"If we are unwilling to accept any truth that we have not first discovered and declared ourselves, we demonstrate that we are interested not in the truth so much as in being right." ~ Thomas Merton ~
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2011, 06:37:08 AM »

"A mercy of peace, a sacrifice of praise."  angel

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
David Garner
Elder

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2011, 03:38:51 PM »

Receiving God's Gifts and returning thanks for them.

I'd say the difference between that and veneration of the saints is we are not receiving the Gifts of God through the Saints nor returning thanks to them, but merely adoring and loving them for their examples to us and requesting their intercession before the Throne of God.  Worship of God is a relationship between Creator and created.  Adoration of the Saints is a friendship between two created beings.

mabsoota
Archon

Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2011, 03:48:33 PM »

worship God is adoring Him, doing what He asks and declaring Him to be far superior to us.
it's thinking of Him first every day, praising Him in every happy moment and asking for His help when we are in need.

venerating the saints is thanking God for their lives, congratulating them on arriving ahead of us, asking them to pray to God for Him to forgive our sins and us asking God to help us learn from their example (and in some cases, also from their mistakes).

God is our Father, creator and saviour.
the saints are our big brothers/sisters, colleagues and role models.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: