OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 27, 2014, 02:46:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orthodox Critiques of the "Development of Doctrine"  (Read 1274 times) Average Rating: 0
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

that is not the teaching of...

« on: April 15, 2011, 12:01:02 AM »

Are there any Orthodox critiques of the Catholic concept of "the development of doctrine"? Texts of any size would be of interest to me, though something a bit more formal, like articles that have appeared in magazines or journals or books, would be most helpful.

"I haven't done anything wrong, and I won't be hounded by you and your soulless minions of orthodoxy! I haven't broken any laws... except perhaps the laws of nature." - Dr. Elias Giger
akimel
Fr Aidan
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR (Western Rite)

« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011, 08:34:52 AM »

Take a look at Fr Andrew Louth's discussion:  Is Development of Doctrine a Valid Category for Orthodox Theology.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2011, 08:49:44 AM »

I recall reading this not too long ago, was it brought up in another thread on the subject? Nonetheless, thank you for reminding me of it Smiley

"I haven't done anything wrong, and I won't be hounded by you and your soulless minions of orthodoxy! I haven't broken any laws... except perhaps the laws of nature." - Dr. Elias Giger
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2011, 11:20:28 AM »

I recall reading this not too long ago, was it brought up in another thread on the subject?
Yes, it was.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
akimel
Fr Aidan
High Elder

Jurisdiction: ROCOR (Western Rite)

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2011, 11:57:03 AM »

Fr John Behr touches on doctrinal development in his presentation "Orthodoxy," but I would not call this a substantive analysis and critique.  It's difficult to find Orthodox theologians who have addressed the topic in a sustained and thorough way.  Florovsky implicitly touches upon the topic in his discussion of Tradition and his critique of the Vincentian canon:  "The Catholicity of the Church."

ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2011, 10:27:24 PM »

Just stumble over this
http://www.traditioninaction.org/ProgressivistDoc/A_000_Index.htm
PROGRESSIVIST DOCUMENT OF THE WEEK

Each week TIA features a document that shows the goals and methods
of Progressivism in the Church

March 12, 2011
Newman dedicates his work on development of doctrine to Anglicans  

December 12, 2010
Newman: Papal Infallibility was theologically inaccurate  

November 13, 2010
Newman sabotages Papal Infallibility  

October 16, 2010
Newman flip-flops on Papal Infallibility

September 18, 2010
Newman against Papal Infallibility

September 11, 2010
Rome to Newman: ‘You are the head of the English Liberal Catholics’

September 4, 2010
Newman supports free speech in the Church

April 24, 2010
Newman's longings for Vatican II

April 10, 2010
Newman's resentment of authority

March 20, 2010
Rome speaks: ‘Newman is the most dangerous man in England’

March 13, 2010
Newman regrets the Syllabus

March 6, 2010
Newman's strong reservations on devotion to Our Lady

February 27, 2010
Newman's continued admiration for Anglicanism

February 20, 2010
The ecumenical formation Newman gave youth

February 13, 2010
Newman supports the liberal agenda against Pius IX

February 6, 2010
Newman suspect in Rome

January 30, 2010
Newman's method to promote Liberal Catholicism

January 23, 2010
Newman's admiration for Acton and Döllinger

December 26, 2009
Paul VI: The conciliar Church is ‘betrothed’ to Anglicanism

November 28, 2009
Fr. Chenu: The Catholic transcendent God is an idol

October 17, 2009
Fr. Von Balthasar: Rahner and I always held the same ideas

September 26, 2009
Ratzinger is a ‘dangerous modernist,’ his doctoral thesis assessor affirms

August 29, 2009
Condemnation of Teilhard de Chardin by the Holy Office in 1962

August 1, 2009
Benedict XVI praises the cosmic liturgy of Teilhard de Chardin

July 11, 2009
Card. Arns: The Communist Revolution in Cuba is a sign of the kingdom of God

« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 10:28:40 PM by ialmisry » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Apotheoun
"Three realities pertain to God: essence, energy, and the triad of divine hypostaseis." St. Gregory Palamas
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Melkite Catholic

St. John Maximovitch

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2011, 01:50:06 AM »

Here is what Fr. Florovsky said in an article entitled, "Revelation, Philosophy and Theology" (n.b., this article originally appeared as "Offenbarung, Philosophic und Theologie" in Zwischen den Zeiten, Heft 6, München, 1931. Translated from the German by Richard Haugh):

"Dogma is by no means a new Revelation. Dogma is only a witness. The whole meaning of dogmatic definition consists of testifying to unchanging truth, truth which was revealed and has been preserved from the beginning. Thus it is a total misunderstanding to speak of 'the development of dogma.' Dogmas do not develop; they are unchanging and inviolable, even in their external aspect — their wording. Least of all is it possible to change dogmatic language or terminology. As strange as it may appear, one can indeed say: dogmas arise, dogmas are established, but they do not develop. And once established, a dogma is perennial and already an immutable 'rule of faith' ('regula fidei'; o kanon tis pisteos, ο κανων της πιστεως). Dogma is an intuitive truth, not a discursive axiom which is accessible to logical development. The whole meaning of dogma lies in the fact that it is expressed truth. Revelation discloses itself and is received in the silence of faith, in silent vision — this is the first and apophatic step of the knowledge of God. The entire fulness of truth is already contained in this apophatic vision, but truth must be expressed. Man, however, is called not only to be silent but also to speak, to communicate. The silentium mysticum does not exhaust the entire fulness of the religious vocation of man. There is also room for the expression of praise. In her dogmatic confession the Church expresses herself and proclaims the apophatic truth which she preserves. The quest for dogmatic definitions is therefore, above all, a quest for terms. Precisely because of this the doctrinal controversies were a dispute over terms. One had to find accurate and clear words which could describe and express the experience of the Church. One had to express that 'spiritual Vision' which presents itself to the believing spirit in experience and contemplation."

Source:  Revelation, Philosophy and Theology

"All that the Father has belongs likewise to the Son, except Causality."
St. Gregory Nazianzen

"We should believe that divine grace is present in the icon of Christ and that it communicates sanctification to those who draw near with faith."
St. Theodore Studite
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2011, 02:55:49 AM »

So it seems, based on what I've read, that there is no credible criticism of the RC development of doctrine from an Orthodox perspective. Thank you all for helping make this clear to me.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 02:56:04 AM by Asteriktos » Logged

Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2011, 03:35:24 AM »

So it seems, based on what I've read, that there is no credible criticism of the RC development of doctrine from an Orthodox perspective. Thank you all for helping make this clear to me.

Well, Isa has not yet told us what Saint John of Damascus has to say on it but in my view that matter was expressed very well 1600 years ago by our holy father Saint Vincent of Lerins:

But the Church of Christ, the careful and watchful guardian of the doctrines deposited in her charge, never changes anything in them, never diminishes, never adds, does not cut off what is necessary, does not add what is superfluous, does not lose her own, does not appropriate what is another's, but while dealing faithfully and judiciously with ancient doctrine, keeps this one object carefully in view,--if there be anything which antiquity has left shapeless and rudimentary, to fashion and polish it, if anything already reduced to shape and developed, to consolidate and strengthen it, if any already ratified and defined to keep and guard it.

Finally, what other object have Councils ever aimed at in their decrees, than to provide that what was before believed in simplicity should in future be believed intelligently, that what was before preached coldly should in future be preached earnestly, that what was before practised negligently should thenceforward be practised with double solicitude? This, I say, is what the Catholic Church, roused by the novelties of heretics, has accomplished by the decrees of her Councils,--this, and nothing else,--she has thenceforward consigned to posterity in writing what she had received from those of olden times only by tradition, comprising a great amount of matter in a few words, and often, for the better understanding, designating an old article of the faith by the characteristic of a new name.

From his Commonitorium
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2011, 03:39:09 AM »

Indeed, so why don't the Orthodox follow the lead of Sts. Vincent of Lerins, Gregory the Theologian, Gregory Dialogist, Cardinal Newman, etc.?  Huh 

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2011, 10:05:24 PM »

Just stumble over this
http://www.traditioninaction.org/ProgressivistDoc/A_000_Index.htm
PROGRESSIVIST DOCUMENT OF THE WEEK

Each week TIA features a document that shows the goals and methods
of Progressivism in the Church

March 12, 2011
Newman dedicates his work on development of doctrine to Anglicans  

December 12, 2010
Newman: Papal Infallibility was theologically inaccurate  

Well duh. Naturally, Newman didn't always believe in Papal Infallibility (while he was still Anglican). But if they are saying that Newman denied Papal Infallibility after becoming [Roman] Catholic, then I would be very skeptical of that claim.

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

When in doubt, say: "you lack the proper φρόνημα"

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2011, 10:52:37 PM »

Indeed, so why don't the Orthodox follow the lead of Sts. Vincent of Lerins, Gregory the Theologian, Gregory Dialogist, Cardinal Newman, etc.?  Huh  

Does this help? You could entitle it "Organic development vs. doctrinal innovation"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pXOYxCPXNY
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 10:57:31 PM by NicholasMyra » Logged

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: